U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 1,940,942 times
Reputation: 1381

Advertisements

Gentrified neighborhoods in DC have good public schools. I remembering reading somewhere that it was one of the fastest improving and highest scoring school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2018, 01:34 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,511,062 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This post a going to go in two directions:

-people are going to name “urban” areas with tiny, affluent school districts; e.g. Brookline, MA.

-people are going name mid-sized cities that aren’t particularly urban, e.g. Raleigh.

Both discussions will be racially tinged.

In terms of big cities, New York and Boston both have pretty good schools. Minneapolis as another solid choice. The truth is any school district with mostly affluent students is going to look like a “good“ district. I’m more impressed by school districts that perform well with strong racial and Socio economic diversity.
Why are white people needed to lift scores for schools with racial minorities or lower incomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:10 PM
 
Location: SoCal
1,900 posts, read 1,845,970 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Why are white people needed to lift scores for schools with racial minorities or lower incomes?
Not that whites are needed to lift scores, Minorities overall have to leap over massive hurdles just to have a decent education, so seeing a minority majority school doing great shows something special considering the barriers minorities still face in this country. I would say Asians lift the scores of school more than any other race, and they are a minority. Whites haven't had to face nearly as many hurdles as minority so it would only make sense that white schools be somewhat good. It's called white privilege. Those that are privilege have a hard time understanding the privilege so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand.

Low income white communities tend to have lower education as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,282 posts, read 3,511,441 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Not that whites are needed to lift scores, Minorities overall have to leap over massive hurdles just to have a decent education, so seeing a minority majority school doing great shows something special considering the barriers minorities still face in this country. I would say Asians lift the scores of school more than any other race, and they are a minority. Whites haven't had to face nearly as many hurdles as minority so it would only make sense that white schools be somewhat good. It's called white privilege. Those that are privilege have a hard time understanding the privilege so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand.

Low income white communities tend to have lower education as well.
There are many good schools with whites in NYC where 'white people' are poor first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe who came to this country speaking no English and they go to ESL classes in school. I don't know how much privilege they got... At least for NYC, a lot of the natives have a lot more 'privilege' over Asians and immigrant Whites because they already are fluent in the language they are taught and are being tested in. One of the best public schools in the country, Stuyvesant, is full of low income first generation Asians and Eastern Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:30 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 1,940,942 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Why are white people needed to lift scores for schools with racial minorities or lower incomes?
They're not.

Fairfax County in VA is considered one of the best public school systems in the country and it's pretty diverse. It's also home to Thomas Jefferson which is considered the best in the nation.

"Demographically, 38.7 percent of FCPS students are White, 25.8 percent are Hispanic, 19.6 are Asian, 10.1 percent are Black, 5.4 percent are two or more races, 0.3 are American Indian and 0.1 percent are Native Hawaiian (source: 2017 Fall Membership by Subgroup as reported in the Virginia Department of Education School Quality Profile)"

https://www.fcps.edu/about-fcps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: SoCal
1,900 posts, read 1,845,970 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There are many good schools with whites in NYC where 'white people' are poor first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe who came to this country speaking no English and they go to ESL classes in school. I don't know how much privilege they got... At least for NYC, a lot of the natives have a lot more 'privilege' over Asians and immigrant Whites because they already are fluent in the language they are taught and are being tested in. One of the best public schools in the country, Stuyvesant, is full of low income first generation Asians and Eastern Europeans.
I wasn't really referring to first gen whites as most whites are far from first gen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
 
1,002 posts, read 746,300 times
Reputation: 983
It's all driven by the socio-economics of the household. My kids go to a Somerville, MA school where half of the kids are disadvantaged, the greatschools score is low, yet if you control for income, the "not disadvantaged" kids in our school outperform the "not disadvantaged" kids in top districts like Lexington and Belmont on standardized tests. So when you say an urban school is terrible, how exactly are you quantifying it? And please never base these decisions on greatschools.com which just measures privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM
 
7,203 posts, read 3,931,639 times
Reputation: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
It's all driven by the socio-economics of the household. My kids go to a Somerville, MA school where half of the kids are disadvantaged, the greatschools score is low, yet if you control for income, the "not disadvantaged" kids in our school outperform the "not disadvantaged" kids in top districts like Lexington and Belmont on standardized tests. So when you say an urban school is terrible, how exactly are you quantifying it? And please never base these decisions on greatschools.com which just measures privilege.
My neighborhood zone school actually matches this description. It has a middle of the road great schools scores, but the affluent kids outperform the higher ranked suburban districts, and the poor kids outperform the poor kids at other city schools.

I agree that great schools is not a good yardstick, but schools ranked three or below 10 to actually be bad schools, and schools ranked nine or 10 tend to be good schools. For anything in-between, you absolutely have to know the context for the scores to be meaningful.

Last edited by gladhands; 11-13-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,662 posts, read 5,931,728 times
Reputation: 7001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Gentrified neighborhoods in DC have good public schools. I remembering reading somewhere that it was one of the fastest improving and highest scoring school districts.
Same in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,086 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Reputation: 31559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Same in Denver.
Ha! You beat me to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top