U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 1,940,942 times
Reputation: 1381

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
This is ignorant, sorry. The shoes that african americans walk in every day in our racist society are far more oppressive than those of people who chose to immigrate here. So sure, it's cultural, but that culture is caused by centuries of oppression.
No disagreement with your statement but I'm not quite sure if "immigrants" have it easier exactly. The ones that come here escaping war or famine or whatever condition in their home countries and come here without knowing how to speak the language or having any sort of family nearby as a support system doesn't sound like a lesser challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Chibostoncaliseattle
1,708 posts, read 774,273 times
Reputation: 1463
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
By downtown Boston you mean Boston proper? Some of the inner suburbs don’t shine and are worse than Boston e.g. Chelsea Lynn. But by and large they are excellent. A few are average (Malden Randolph)

Cambridge has a 30%+ black population in its schools and is a heavily minority district and truly does very well! This is the type of district I think were looking for on this thread. Somerville schools are not quite as good.
Correct, I meant Boston proper as it was a response to Ilovecheetos.

Greater Boston, as documented seemingly everywhere, has incredible schools. I think Cambridge and Brookline are perfect plug-ins for this thread. Quincy is another great example, thought it's not totally urban- According to Stanford/New York Times study below, the city is more than an entire grade level above the average school district in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,511,062 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
This is ignorant, sorry. The shoes that african americans walk in every day in our racist society are far more oppressive than those of people who chose to immigrate here. So sure, it's cultural, but that culture is caused by centuries of oppression.
I'm not sure what is ignorant...i think we are in agreement actually. I acknowledge there is a negative history with the AA culture, but culturally AA's have placed less emphasis on education than White and Asian cultures in US cities, such as NYC or Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
 
7,203 posts, read 3,931,639 times
Reputation: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No disagreement with your statement but I'm not quite sure if "immigrants" have it easier exactly. The ones that come here escaping war or famine or whatever condition in their home countries and come here without knowing how to speak the language or having any sort of family nearby as a support system doesn't sound like a lesser challenge.
👆🏾Those immigrants aren’t your “model minority”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
 
938 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Reputation: 500
Minneapolis and St Paul. Actually they aren't that great either.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/minneapo...l-district-mn/. According to state test scores, 44% of students are at least proficient in math and 43% in reading.


https://www.niche.com/k12/d/st-paul-...l-district-mn/
According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.

Last edited by daboywonder2002; 11-14-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,086 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Reputation: 31559
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
By downtown Boston you mean Boston proper? Some of the inner suburbs don’t shine and are worse than Boston e.g. Chelsea Lynn. But by and large they are excellent. A few are average (Malden Randolph)

Cambridge has a 30%+ black population in its schools and is a heavily minority district and truly does very well! This is the type of district I think were looking for on this thread. Somerville schools are not quite as good.
And do they have a big "achievement gap"? My district (Boulder Valley, seated in Boulder, CO, home of the University of Colorado) has great schools but the biggest achievement gap in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,511,062 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
👆🏾Those immigrants aren’t your “model minority”.
Please enlighten us on what a "model minority" is? One that fits your narrative with a "poor me attitude"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 1,940,942 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
👆🏾Those immigrants aren’t your “model minority”.
Some are and some are not... for example - do you know how many successful folks today are the product of parents that were fleeing the Vietnam or the Korean war? Or how many Filipino's come here and end up being nurses etc. bc they have so little opportunity in their home country. I've met so many successful Indians whose parents did medial work due to having no language skills or transferable skill-sets so they end up driving taxi's or opening convenience stores. All of these groups have very high average income salaries within the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 PM
 
938 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
My neighborhood zone school actually matches this description. It has a middle of the road great schools scores, but the affluent kids outperform the higher ranked suburban districts, and the poor kids outperform the poor kids at other city schools.

I agree that great schools is not a good yardstick, but schools ranked three or below 10 to actually be bad schools, and schools ranked nine or 10 tend to be good schools. For anything in-between, you absolutely have to know the context for the scores to be meaningful.

I use greatschools, niche and school digger. When new people move to an area, sometimes that's all you have to go by when measuring schools. Some parents want diversity, some want academics. Some want the family atmosphere. Me personally, I want my child around other smart kids. If my kid goes to a school where 30% are proficient in math and reading, that's not a good thing. What's the rule- if you're the smartest person in the room- go find another room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
 
7,203 posts, read 3,931,639 times
Reputation: 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
I use greatschools, niche and school digger. When new people move to an area, sometimes that's all you have to go by when measuring schools. Some parents want diversity, some want academics. Some want the family atmosphere. Me personally, I want my child around other smart kids. If my kid goes to a school where 30% are proficient in math and reading, that's not a good thing. What's the rule- if you're the smartest person in the room- go find another room
About my zoned K-8 school: it’s a 5 on Greatschools because it has middle-of-the road test scores. It draws from the city’s two wealthiest, predominantly white and Asian neighborhoods, and the single poorest Black neighborhood. 40% of the student population is economically challenged and 40% of the population is Black.

The PPS website allows you to filter test scores by race. White and Asian kids score as well as kids in the “best” 90% white, wealthy suburban districts. The Black kids score better than poor Black kids at any other city school. If you sent your kids there, they would be around tons of other “smart kids”. Tons of doctors and university professors send their kids there. Your kids would also be around some poor kids. If that’s a problem, it’s not the school that’s the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top