Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Controlling for socio-economic status is the opposite of finagling the data, it's the only way to subjectively compare schools since SES is what correlated with student achievement, not the school itself.
Correlation =/= causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM

5,425 posts, read 5,646,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
My parents are immigrants, came here not knowing a word of English - And English is not my first language. I grew up in a relatively poor NYC neighborhood, and I some how did ok. I think you are overplaying the hurdles minorities have to leap over.

The truth is, there are certain cultures in the US that don't put an emphasis on education, it's flat out bad parenting. Some of my best friends are from China, India, and Pakistan, and they all come from humble backgrounds, but they all went to U of Michigan, Stanford, U of Illinois....Their cultures place an importance on education.

The African Americans in my high school (my school was ~40% Black) had across the board lower test scores and a much lower graduation rate. We lived in same neighborhoods, same income (Poor!), and had the same hurdles. Now, I have AA friends from High School who did well, but the African American culture in the NYC and Chicago (the two cities i'm most familiar with) places less importance on Education.

It's the hard truth nobody wants to discuss.
A lot of it has nothing to do with poverty and income and everything to do with culture.
Children from two parent households statistically do much better, even within ethnic groups. Single motherhood AA rate is something like 70%.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,655,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Post of the year! I'm so sick of hearing how the "best" schools are ranked. An mostly white, affluent, suburbanish district will look good on paper and it probably should. But to achieve solid results in a more urban, diverse (socially, racially, economically) is a whole different ballgame and far more impressive to me personally.
Then you should be impressed with Fairfax and Montgomery county right at your door step.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,408,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego isn't half bad. Chula Vista's is extremely diverse and high performing.
The eastern half of Chula Vista is where you’ll find the best schools. It’s also where you find the newer houses where families that moved there place an emphasis on education. The western and much older half of Chula Vista isn’t quite there. As for the city of San Diego, several areas that I would never dream of raising a family in 20 years ago are now solid family communities, and the schools are starting to reflect it.

Like so many others have said it all comes down to parent involvement within the school and at home. As long as there’s suburbs with superior school the inner cities will continue to suffer. Many friends I went to school with in Michigan were from metro Detroit, or moved there after college. Several that moved within the city that helped with its current revitalization all hightailed it out to the suburbs once they had kids or they got to school age. I’m sure this is true for many older urban areas across the country. You can gentrify an area all you want, but if most those moving in are childless it does nothing for the schools.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Great Post

New York and Boston have a few decent achooos and a handful of excellent exams schools. But are dominated by low quality schools. Minneapolis and Seattle probably have the best truly urban districts. No one of means is sending their kid to an average BPS or NYCPS middle/high school
Both have their schools that are suspect as well, but likely have more balance in terms of options. However, here is an article about the improvements made at Minneapolis' North HS: https://www.minnpost.com/education/2...ate-howd-they/

Old 11-14-2018, 12:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,319,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Correlation =/= causation.
But often it is.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
A lot of it has nothing to do with poverty and income and everything to do with culture.
Children from two parent households statistically do much better, even within ethnic groups. Single motherhood AA rate is something like 70%.
100% agree.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,319,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Oh please with the Racism...If you want to disagree fine, but I was addressing the poster who said minorities have different hurdles than everyone else - if by minorities it was implied only African Americans, then fine, but Indians, Asians, etc are minorities in this country, and they seem to do fine.

Chicago example - I live around the corner from one of the best performing K-8 schools in the city, it is not the best performing because the teachers are somehow superior to the teachers in Englewood or Austin or South Shore - it's because the vast majority of the parents give a damn. If you picked up the worst performing school in Chicago and dropped it at the intersection of Southport and Grace, with the same faculty, it would become one of the best schools in the city...Overnight.

There are obviously other factors, but how can you deny, that across the boardm in urban areas, African American Families place less emphasis on education than White or Asian families? I just don't see it.
This is ignorant, sorry. The shoes that african americans walk in every day in our racist society are far more oppressive than those of people who chose to immigrate here. So sure, it's cultural, but that culture is caused by centuries of oppression.

Last edited by semiurbanite; 11-14-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,889,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
This is ignorant, sorry. The shoes that african amerians walk in every day in our racist society are far more oppressive than those of people who chose to immigrate here. So sure, it's cultural, but that culture is caused by centuries of oppression.
Understand, he needs to feel that his people have a better culture. There’s a reason that Chinese and Nigerian immigrants perform better than Vietnamese and Somali immigrants, and it has nothing to do with cultures “valuing education”.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another category that should be included in the discussion are major college towns usually have good schools with a nice mix of students and some urbanity. For instance, I know that Ann Arbor MI has a good school system, as does East Lansing MI and Ithaca NY(it is an “enlarged” city SD though, as may AA SD as well). So, that is another option in terms of the topic.
Some information from this SD: Ithaca School District
Administration | Ithaca School District
Board Members | Ithaca School District
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000036448
It is usually one of the better SD's in Upstate NY with substantial urbanity as well: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...tml#g/412508/1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City