Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Who believes Miami is the fourth most important city in the United States? These rankings are always wildly out of proportion with reality.
Miami is an international city it might not be as prominent in the US, but in other countries Miami is much more important than the cities that we deem more important here in the us. Miami is the Capital of Latin America. Many of these cities people outside the country have never heard of yes Seattle, and Atlanta I doubt if many have heard of these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 AM

644 posts, read 1,018,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Who believes Miami is the fourth most important city in the United States? These rankings are always wildly out of proportion with reality.
As far as Urban Areas go, Miami is the 4th largest city. I don't care too much for Miami, but it is a major global player. I don't put much stock into the GaWC rankings to begin with, but I think Miami is solidly top 6, maybe not 4th though.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

176 posts, read 175,003 times
I'm always so amused by the butt hurt Miami's high ranking on the GWAC engenders, and it seems that Miami has actually moved up on this list. The criteria for the Alpha ranking is: "alpha & alpha- cities Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy."

I challenge anyone here to name another city not named New York that is more profoundly linked to more countries and places in THIS hemisphere than Miami.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:55 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Is it me or does this list change every year and use an odd measure of criteria, like connections to London or something?

The only set in stone is New York, everything else seems like a wash to me.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Miami is well known for what it is, an underachieving metropolis at the bottom of the map...

Every Top 10 city in this country is international, Miami isn't reinventing the wheel nor leading the clubhouse here...

If Detroit accelerates to an even faster progression, it will be the next city to leapfrog that overrated resort town...
This is weirdly personal post....

Old 11-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Ppl get really personal and strange when it comes to Miami.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:12 PM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Right. I don't get it.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
I'm always so amused by the butt hurt Miami's high ranking on the GWAC engenders, and it seems that Miami has actually moved up on this list. The criteria for the Alpha ranking is: "alpha & alpha- cities Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy."

I challenge anyone here to name another city not named New York that is more profoundly linked to more countries and places in THIS hemisphere than Miami.
While Miami may not have the Asian connection that other nations have, it's connection to Latin America is something that can't be overstated. Maybe it's not the 4th most important city in the nation, but ppl treat Miami as a floor mat. Like if it ever gets mentioned on this site in any subject not regarding beaches and or resort/lesirue ppl get really personal. Even if you try to bring up culture, they try to crap on any cultural offerings Miami has. Crap on the arts scene, crap on the museums, crap on the public transit(not saying Miami's PT is great, but it's ambitous). What other city can build an ambitious metro wide HSR project and it's not even a blip on the radar on C-D? What city can build a fancy new urbanism, walkable, architecturally sound DT shopping center and not even make a blip on the radar(Birckell City Centre)? How can a city infill as quickly with all sorts of new projects, barely get mentioned? Miami boosters are rare. Why can't folks just let Miami live?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:36 PM

337 posts, read 929,951 times
GaWC, like all these rankings of city v. city, can be fun and informative if you don't take it too seriously.

My own feeling is that in the US, we've had a fairly steady Top 5 for a long time:

1. New York City
[large gap]
2. Los Angeles
[smaller gap]
3-5. Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco

with positions 3-5 fluctuating quite regularly.

Beyond that, ranking becomes more difficult. How do you realistically rank Seattle v. Atlanta, or Boston v. Philadelphia, or Denver v. Minneapolis/St. Paul?

What do you do with cities that don't rank that high overall, but are paramount within a certain niche? (Las Vegas, Nashville)

About the only thing I feel certain of is the unchanging preeminence of NYC. In overall importance, it could only be dislodged by a great foreign city but not by anywhere else in the Americas.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:50 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I personally like Miami... I wouldn't live there but I definitely enjoy visiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City