Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Baltimore and Richmond be included in the same cultural region?
Yes, both cities have a lot in common. 6 15.00%
No, both cities are completely different from each other. 10 25.00%
Yes, but both are culturally distinct from Washington D.C. 5 12.50%
Yes, but only if the region is outside of the census defined regions. 0 0%
No, both cities have similarities but are more different than they are alike. 12 30.00%
Yes, both cities plus Washington DC are already in the same region. 10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM

110 posts, read 113,932 times

Advertisements

Richmond and Baltimore are two cities in the Chesapeake region of the United States. Both cities have lots in common and both border the Washington Metro. However, many people seem to associate both areas so differently. The purpose of this thread is to question why people view both cities so differently despite their many similarities?

Similarities:
History: Richmond and Baltimore are both cities settled by British settlers who were majority protestant and thrived off of tobacco farming on nearby plantations. Both cities were very large and industrial early on and attracted small number of Eastern European and Jewish immigrants who often worked in textile and tobbaco plants alongside slaves, free blacks, and poor native born whites. Both cities also had very large proportions of free African Americans. Richmond and Baltimore developed almost identically. The only notable historic difference was that Virginia joined the Confederacy and Maryland did not. However, both cities were pro-union and it is likely that both states would have joined if given the choice.
Architecture: Both cities have architecture that is unique to the Chesapeake Bay region. The architecture was designed to blend the style of Chesapeake Bay Plantations and New York style urban living. Baltimore obviously has some influence from Philadelphia in its architecture as well. However, both cities still share similarities, especially in their older suburbs.
Culture: Richmond and Baltimore both share the Chesapeake Bay as the source of their cultural influence. Both cities are also influenced by Washington D.C. to varying degrees. Baltimore is often known for its Blue Crabs and Chesapeake Bay style seafood. However, while Richmond does not have as much seafood due to it being further inland, the Chesapeake Bay is the source of most Richmond Seafood. Most seafood restaurants in Richmond serve Blue Crabs (especially Family owned restaurants). Also, Maryland is also referenced for its Catholic influence. However, most of this is due to recent migration. While, Maryland was founded as a Catholic Colony, Anglicanism and protestant culture quickly took hold in Maryland after it was settled mostly due to Virginia's influence. As mentioned before both cities had small amounts of Jewish and Eastern European immigration. Baltimore did have more immigration than Richmond but Richmond had more than the entire south which for the most part lacked early immigration outside of port cities. It is also notable that the immigrants to both cities came from Eastern Europe versus places like Italy, or France like in cities such as Charleston or New Orleans. Lastly, I have seen it referenced that Richmond is "very southern" due to the influence of FFV's. However, after living in Baltimore for a year and researching the history of both cities. Baltimore has just as much old money if not more than Richmond. The only difference is instead of being called the First Families of Virginia, they are called the Colonial Families of Maryland. Both have origins in the same part of England and most came here mostly to make money from tobacco. Many of these families supported fought for the Confederacy and many are originally from Virginia. Both cities have a large abundance of old money and colonial families but that is part of what makes the cities so similar.

Please let me know what you think about the association and relationship between Richmond and Baltimore. If you disagree that Richmond and Baltimore are similar, please post which city you think is most similar to Richmond and Baltimore respectively.

Last edited by Magicstar1; 11-30-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
I made this same comparison, as one who has lived for extended periods in both, when I first joined this forum. I was met with a lot of disagreement from people who have only lived in one or neither of the cities. People here with little knowledge of Richmond have trouble separating it from the Confederacy and even more trouble associating it with any city further north than Fredricksburg. Hopefully, this goes better for you then it did for me.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
OP, I gotta stop you for one thing. How is Baltimore's culture influenced by DC?

Aside from that, solid post.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
OP, I gotta stop you for one thing. How is Baltimore's culture influenced by DC?

Aside from that, solid post.

This is a good point. I feel like Washington DC itself lacks a true culture and when the culture of Washington is referenced, it is normally related to money and location. It is because of this that I feel that technically, Washington DC can't influence any place culturally. I feel like Baltimore and Richmond are influenced economically by Washington DC but less so culturally. Thank You for correcting that.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Yes, this poll has too many options

Old 11-30-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yes, this poll has too many options
I am sorry. I just wanted to make sure that everyones opinion was represented by the answer choices.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
This is a good point. I feel like Washington DC itself lacks a true culture and when the culture of Washington is referenced, it is normally related to money and location. It is because of this that I feel that technically, Washington DC can't influence any place culturally. I feel like Baltimore and Richmond are influenced economically by Washington DC but less so culturally. Thank You for correcting that.
No problem. Very detailed post.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
In Black sub culture though, DC has indirectly influenced Baltimore on some level. DC's black culture is twice as big as Baltimore's. KodeBlue would never admit to this, but I'll tell you a little story with concrete facts.

Back in the early 2000's DC had a bunch of local Black owned clothing brands. Some names were Madness, Hobo, Shooters, WeROne Solbiato etc. These clothing brands became super popular among locals in the DMV area, and it was almost a uniform for many young blacks of that era growing up.

Baltimore did come up with a very similiar looking brand called Samos that was like spin off of the these distinct DC clothing styles. Beyond this however, Baltimore adopted more than one of those DC based brands into their own local culture. Baltimore dudes from East to West side had on Shooters, Hobo, and WeROne and I was there around this time so I know this as a fact. 'Shooters' brand had a store in Mandowin Mall on the West side that I have been inside of. WeROne was adopted easily when Big G aka Slim Charles on the Wire wore this on the show, afterwards there were a number of cats in Baltimore wearing this DC based street wear. They even made the brands in the form of 'tall tees' to adapt to the long tees guys in Baltimore would wear.

Hasim Rahman, a heavyweight champion boxer from Baltimore, specifically wore 'Hobo' aka "Help our brothers out" as a sign of paying homage to those brands and unity. Again I'm not making this up:

Clothes label hits big time with Rahman - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

The Days started HOBO out of the trunk of their car in 1994. When the business grew, the couple rented space in the back of a hair salon in Hyattsville. They opened the Capitol Heights boutique in 1996, and the Baltimore store opened a year ago at the corner of Franklin and Eutaw streets.

Baltimore keeps its accent, it's foods etc but the more hip and larger Black DC culture has spread up to Baltimore before. Baltimore has its own distinctive things about it without question, but it has on more than one occasion been swallowed up by influences of larger metros in the NEC DC, Philly, NYC. And "Black DC" had never "lacked" culture.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-01-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
In Black sub culture though, DC has indirectly influenced Baltimore on some level. DC's black culture is twice as big as Baltimore's. KodeBlue would never admit to this, but I'll tell you a little story with concrete facts.

Back in the early 2000's DC had a bunch of local Black owned clothing brands. Some names were Madness, Hobo, Shooters, WeROne Solbiato etc. These clothing brands became super popular among locals in the DMV area, and it was almost a uniform for many young blacks of that era growing up.

Baltimore did come up with a very similiar looking brand called Samos that was like spin off of the these distinct DC clothing styles. Beyond this however, Baltimore adopted more than one of those DC based brands into their own local culture. Baltimore dudes from East to West side had on Shooters, Hobo, and WeROne and I was there around this time so I know this as a fact. 'Shooters' brand had a store in Mandowin Mall on the West side that I have been inside of. WeROne was adopted easily when Big G aka Slim Charles on the Wire wore this on the show, afterwards there were a number of cats in Baltimore wearing this DC based street wear. They even made the brands in the form of 'tall tees' to adapt to the long tees guys in Baltimore would wear.

Hasim Rahman, a heavyweight champion boxer from Baltimore, specifically wore 'Hobo' aka "Help our brothers out" as a sign of paying homage to those brands and unity. Again I'm not making this up:

Clothes label hits big time with Rahman - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

The Days started HOBO out of the trunk of their car in 1994. When the business grew, the couple rented space in the back of a hair salon in Hyattsville. They opened the Capitol Heights boutique in 1996, and the Baltimore store opened a year ago at the corner of Franklin and Eutaw streets.

Baltimore keeps its accent, it's foods etc but the more hip and larger Black DC culture has spread up to Baltimore before. Baltimore has its own distinctive things about it without question, but it has on more than one occasion been swallowed up by influences of larger metros in the NEC DC, Philly, NYC. And "Black DC" had never "lacked" culture.
I remember when Baltimore wore that "we are one" and shooters. I've personally never wore any of it, but you'd see it from time to time.

I will also say that Baltimore has more influence than DC. You can go to Philly, DC or Newark and hear or see Baltimore's influence. Think about what Meek Mill was arrested for, or the video Crew by Gold Link.

As far as culture in local general, Baltimore definitely has more culture than DC

Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 PM

What is the local culture like in Richmond? What are the local cuisines, traditions, quirks,.etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City