U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 25,101 times

Advertisements

thank you all for the comments. I appreciate your honesty. Still having mixed feelings about the place. I have not really heard anything positive and have heard mostly negative. anyone out there with positive thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 AM

503 posts, read 1,280,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Uh, you pegged it pretty well. I've been here 50+ years. Here's yer sign..

http://www.firstamendmentschools.org...uswatching.jpg
SJBASIN, You made my day!! Really!
I haven't been online for a couple of days, and I casually glanced.. and then, I couldn't believe you got that picture for me! I burst out laughing!
THANKS SO MUCH!

I'm sure this puts me in the category, but you have no idea how much I regretted not getting a picture of that! I live for funny stuff like that, and now I've got my picture!! It will be placed in good company with other classics I've taken, like the pic I took walking in a Moab neighborhood, of a front yard full of buffalo, and a sign saying "Caution, Angry Buffalo!"
Now, that's interesting!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I just looked at the billboard. Great stuff. Primal guilt trip making. I'll bet they have a webcam so they can compare license plates with their own parking lots.

Just curious but why do all the "fundamentalists" assume Jesus was a prude?

Tonly thing Farmington and Denver have in common is that they are both on the planet Earth.

Last edited by GregW; 04-22-2008 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: sarcasm

Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 PM

28 posts, read 140,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
My biggest complaint was the bland, Christian conservatism, but if that's your thing, then that's your town.
There was a tiny adult bookstore, with a huge lit up billboard over it. It was a picture of Jesus, and the caption said: "Jesus is watching you". I wanted to have my picture taken with it before I left town, but never got around to it.
I just remember thinking I needed to keep my mouth shut there. I remember thinking "these are definitely not my people".
Know what's funny? I'm atheist and as liberal as they come. And I love Farmington. It's a bastion of diversity in politics and religion. Compared to Utah, from whence I came, anyway. :P If I were moving from Seattle or something I'm sure I'd find it scarily conservative. It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? At least in Farmington there's a U/U church, a wide selection of churches. It may be heavily Christian but you don't have one single church controlling everything the city does.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,765,332 times
I hope my response will not be considered a defense of any religion or of my own religious beliefs. I don't want to lose my moderator job after one week for violating the rules.

I am talking about culture here. As boingo82 just said, New Mexico is a very diverse state; I think it is probably the most diverse state in the union. That is one of the things I love the most about it.

AND.....spirituality runs deeply through the culture of this state.

This spirituality manifests itself in many forms:

A strong Catholic presence.

Native American religion.

New Age religion.

Conservative evangelical Christianity.

Eastern religions, Jewish religion.

And ... atheists and agnostics can safely live here (at least I hope that is the case).

Some communities consist more of one type of religious expression than another.

But I love this state BECAUSE of the diversity of culture and the freedom to express ourselves in whatever spiritual manner we choose.

I hope all the people who move here and/or who are contemplating a move here will be able to embrace the beauty of the diversity and the spiritual culture of New Mexico.

Last edited by Towanda; 05-31-2008 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 PM

28 posts, read 140,203 times
You are right about the diversity politically. I am excited to live here knowing my vote this Nov will really MEAN something. Previous NM presidential elections have been decided by as few as 400 votes. And how close was our Democratic primary? There is a feeling living in this state that your vote is being counted, and that invigorates me.

There is a ton of religious diversity. I remember in the "welcome to Farmington" guide there were some 50 different denominations that worship here. That is positive in my book. Chances are as long as you aren't scientologist, you can find a like-minded congregation. And there is a lot of racial and cultural diversity as well. This is positive in my book, especially when it comes to food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City