Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why not? Charleston is a tourist hotbed but it's also booming with jobs and has several family-friendly suburbs.
It’s overpriced unless you want to live 45 minutes from the beach and the job market isn’t all that great. It has great beaches and good downtown, but it’s limited in its amenities to what you’d mostly expect from a mid-major city. And the traffic is just beyond ridiculous.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s overpriced unless you want to live 45 minutes from the beach and the job market isn’t all that great. It has great beaches and good downtown, but it’s limited in its amenities to what you’d mostly expect from a mid-major city. And the traffic is just beyond ridiculous.
Well you're definitely going to pay a premium to live on or near the beach and the job market is pretty hot right now but of course your particular career field is what will make the difference there. However Charleston's amenities are certainly a notch above the vast majority of its peers, especially when it comes to restaurants, retail, and the arts. You think it's as popular as it is because of average amenities and just a "good" downtown???

Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 PM

It’s popular because it’s the best beach city north of Florida. There is a lot to like. But the way it’s laid out commuting wise is atrocious. The nicest neighborhoods would be more expensive and further away from jobs to a comparable neighborhood in North Raleigh or Cary. The cheaper neighborhoods are just further away. The beach is great, and if you were an avid golfer or angler, top-notch. But it’s not Charlotte or the Triangle and you’d need to give up a lot for the benefits and it doesn’t work for me. It’s still our main beach week though we cheat some weekends and go to OBX for a completely different experience. I guess that’s my main thing about tourist places, they are an experience that I’m perfectly fine with not having 24-7. I treat Orlando and NY the same way.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Some say Charlotte is corporate and bland, but the Uptown vibe feels easy and pleasant due to all the trees and fountains and plazas and benches. A lot of cities have downtowns without places to sit and relax under trees. I give Charlotte a lot of props for at least giving a damn about the human aspect.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Some say Charlotte is corporate and bland, but the Uptown vibe feels easy and pleasant due to all the trees and fountains and plazas and benches. A lot of cities have downtowns without places to sit and relax under trees. I give Charlotte a lot of props for at least giving a damn about the human aspect.
That's one of the many things missing from my hometown. The plazas and areas to relax make it a more inviting environment. I hope Charlotte continues this aspect as it grows.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:54 AM

120 posts, read 139,911 times
Just moved to the Charlotte area and had been deciding between Charlotte and Raleigh. Raleigh is sports and research. Charlotte is more corporate and the airline hub means many more direct and cheaper flights. Charlotte is 3 hours from the beach (as opposed to 2 hours from Raleigh) and much closer to the mountains. We felt like it had easy access to almost everywhere.

We just felt like Charlotte offered more opportunities, events, (and flights hah). We like to eat out in great restaurants, which Charlotte has more of, love going to sporting events, concerts and Broadway productions, and just prefer the more cosmopolitan feel of Charlotte over the state government/college sports feel of Raleigh.

We've lived in two very large cities before and both times we were 25 to 35 minutes from downtown, which suited us and seems common. As someone said earlier, it's about livability, not visiting for a weekend - i.e. Asheville is a great place for a tourist, but not as great a place to actually live. You get my drift.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:05 PM

It’s subjective and all (and most high-end restaurants are overpriced across-the-board), but the Triangle ‘s restaurant scene is equal if not better than Charlotte’s. But they are more spread out in the Triangle (very spreadout in regards to Fearrington). Charlotte is a hundred times more urban though.

Last edited by Heel82; 02-23-2019 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 05:31 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s subjective and all (and most high-end restaurants are overpriced across-the-board), but the Triangle ‘s restaurant scene is equal if not better than Charlotte’s.
Uh....no sir!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Uh....no sir!
Well depends on what you are looking for and all that, but probably the two most decorated NC restaurants are in the Triangle (Heron’s and Fearrington). Durham’s scene lost something with Nana’s but both it and Chapel Hill punch above their weight limit and of course Raleigh has Ashley Christensen on top of everything else. I am not foodie enough to know everything there is to know about Charlotte’s restaurant scene. But I know enough to know the Triangle is not at any discernible disadvantage culinary wise.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I'd guess that the Triangle has more food-to-table restaurants and maybe a bigger craft beer scene (or perhaps an earlier one)...the stuff that allows for more experimentation and trial and error. Charlotte has long had more high-end restaurants that appeal to the business and corporate elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City