Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

Wasn’t interested in wandering, was perfectly content to stand in place in a non crowded establishment (chairs aside) to enjoy a beverage without violating anybody’s space....ironically, the one time I wish the “Chill Winston” law(?) was in effect was when I dined at the bar at Earl’s and some clutz spilled some of her red wine on the back of my new olive suit...go figure—short changed on both occasions...very astute gentleman next to me who witnessed and diffused the situation cracked me up when he said “bad things happen to good people”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Chill Winston closed last year and a new place has opened up. Chill Winston was a restaurant, not a true pub or bar.

As for not encountering it elsewhere...hmmm. I'm trying to think, but in all my travels, I've never gone to a restaurant and wanted to stand and wander around with a drink, regardless of the space.

I can see the confusion though with a place like Chill Winston. It did give off a pub atmosphere, but the bar is only one small part of the place. The majority of it was a restaurant.

Even in places that may allow it legally, I think a lot of restaurants whose focus is on dining, wouldn't care for patrons wandering around with drinks.

In the end, Chill Winston wasn't so " chill ". Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 03:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Wasn’t interested in wandering, was perfectly content to stand in place in a non crowded establishment (chairs aside) to enjoy a beverage without violating anybody’s space....ironically, the one time I wish the “Chill Winston” law(?) was in effect was when I dined at the bar at Earl’s and some clutz spilled some of her red wine on the back of my new olive suit...go figure—short changed on both occasions...very astute gentleman next to me who witnessed and diffused the situation cracked me up when he said “bad things happen to good people”.
LOL

I'm sure in the scheme of things the world wouldn't have fallen apart if they had let you stand at Chill Winston's, but they have a liquor license to uphold.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM

38 posts, read 33,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You hear this in San Diego ALL THE TIME. Well....of course they voted against having that pro team come here....there's just so much else to do people don't care!!! Uhhh.no. Even if you don't like NFL, San Diego feels embarrassingly empty without an NFL team. We voted against pro soccer in favor of NCAA football....how much lamer can you get.
I know right? I'm from San Diego and one of the measures on the ballot from the Midterm that I was excited about was soccer city. I can't figure for the life of me figure why residents were more in favor of expanding SDSU to Mission Valley. Very disappointed. Not only was it going to give us a professional soccer team in SD, but it was designed to be an entertainment district, kind of like what Petco Park did in East Village. Not sure how residents here didn't see it as a win-win.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
We tend to wake up early and we workout frequently. We like to stay fit, eat healthy and hike on weekends. Our energy is used differently than the east coast where they use their high energy to go to bars, drink, and watch other people playing sports/exercising. We’re more participatory.
Plenty of hiking and walking go on in NYC, Philly or Boston because we live in "walkable" cities.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Where do you hang out in NY? Long Island? If you hang out in NYC, you must be hanging out in SI or Queens. If you're hanging out in Manhattan, you should venture away from FiDi once in a while.
Hey man don’t sleep on Queens. It’s an insult to compare it to Staten Island, lol. Especially when talking about night time energy. Remember that Queens is a really big place, the largest borough, its got some really good nightlife areas: Astoria, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and Elmhurst come to mind first, plus parts of Ridgewood (usually closer to Bushwick), and even Flushing too (especially if you like karaoke).

Roosevelt Avenue in Queens from Woodside all the way down to Corona definitely has a lot of energy. A very unique one, especially between the hours of 12-5am like nowhere else in NYC. Lots of interesting characters come out at that time to say the least, lol. Plus the best late night street food in all of NY imo. On top of the restaurants that stay open and shady “massage parlors” in Jackson Heights. And of course the (always) overly crowded 7 train constantly running above the street and dropping people all up/down the ave, Roosevelt Ave is really unlike any other street in NYC there’s no denying the energy there 24/7.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-28-2018 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-28-2018, 05:29 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Plenty of hiking and walking go on in NYC, Philly or Boston because we live in "walkable" cities.
Are you seriously trying to compare flat walkable cities with those that have mountains and canyons throughout for hiking?

Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Hey man don’t sleep on Queens. It’s an insult to compare it to Staten Island, lol. Especially when talking about night time energy. Remember that Queens is a really big place, the largest borough, its got some really good nightlife areas: Astoria, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and Elmhurst come to mind first, plus parts of Ridgewood (usually closer to Bushwick), and even Flushing too (especially if you like karaoke).

Roosevelt Avenue in Queens from Woodside all the way down to Corona definitely has a lot of energy. A very unique one, especially between the hours of 12-5am like nowhere else in NYC. Lots of interesting characters come out at that time to say the least, lol. Plus the best late night street food in all of NY imo. On top of the restaurants that stay open and shady “massage parlors” in Jackson Heights. And of course the (always) overly crowded 7 train constantly running above the street and dropping people all up/down the ave, Roosevelt Ave is really unlike any other street in NYC there’s no denying the energy there 24/7.
Oh trust me. I know. I definitely didn't mean those neighborhoods but after SI, the outer parts of Queens are some of the sleepiest parts of NYC. And they're still more vibrant late at night than most other cities probably lol

Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why is walkable in quotes?

People do tend to say healthier by walking and taking public transportation. But that’s not hiking. I walk and take public transportation myself but it’s not a substitute for my regular workouts. Or my hikes.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Why is walkable in quotes?

People do tend to say healthier by walking and taking public transportation. But that’s not hiking. I walk and take public transportation myself but it’s not a substitute for my regular workouts. Or my hikes.
It's not, but when you're busy with work and life and just can't find the time for a couple days, or go less often each week for an extended period of time to the gym, walking to/from work and dinner and all that is helpful for sure! And if we're talking about metro areas, since people in SF generally go up to Marin County, places within the Tri State have amazing hiking opportunities. Some of the best hiking spots in Jersey provide amazing views of the NYC skyline.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:14 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's not, but when you're busy with work and life and just can't find the time for a couple days, or go less often each week for an extended period of time to the gym, walking to/from work and dinner and all that is helpful for sure! And if we're talking about metro areas, since people in SF generally go up to Marin County, places within the Tri State have amazing hiking opportunities. Some of the best hiking spots in Jersey provide amazing views of the NYC skyline.
People in SF have a lot of choices beyond Marin. The entire west side of the Peninsula is largely undeveloped and filled with great hiking, rolling hills, rustic beaches, etc. Big Basin isn’t too far south, Mt. Diablo is an easy drive east. If you’re willing to go a little further there’s great hiking near Santa Cruz and Monterey as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City