Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 PM

840 posts, read 731,663 times

Advertisements

First of all, I don't think you should be age-conscious, as gay men generally don't feel pressured to marry and settle down. I've known plenty of 30-something gay men (some even in their 40's) in London who still behave like they're in their 20's but with much better careers and disposable income.

Second, are you sure that the tech company you'd be moving to is based in SF city proper? I'd hate for you to move to SF Bay Area only to find out your office will be in Silicon Valley, which is very suburban in nature.

Third, it sounds like accepting this job offer is the easiest way for you to get your foot in the US. Unless there is a Working Holiday program between your country and the US (which is unlikely), then I would recommend you to accept it.

I've just been to SF a few weeks ago and I do agree that it's no London or NYC -- and yet I found it to be more expensive than the two. But then, you really don't have any other option as you need a work visa to even contemplate about moving to the US. Unless of course you're Melania Trump and move to the US as a tourist while working under the table illegally until you get proper documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 904,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
first of all, i don't think you should be age-conscious, as gay men generally don't feel pressured to marry and settle down. I've known plenty of 30-something gay men (some even in their 40's) in london who still behave like they're in their 20's but with much better careers and disposable income.
I
second, are you sure that the tech company you'd be moving to is based in sf city proper? I'd hate for you to move to sf bay area only to find out your office will be in silicon valley, which is very suburban in nature.

Third, it sounds like accepting this job offer is the easiest way for you to get your foot in the us. Unless there is a working holiday program between your country and the us (which is unlikely), then i would recommend you to accept it.

I've just been to sf a few weeks ago and i do agree that it's no london or nyc -- and yet i found it to be more expensive than the two. But then, you really don't have any other option as you need a work visa to even contemplate about moving to the us. Unless of course you're melania trump and move to the us as a tourist while working under the table illegally until you get proper documentation.
lol 😂

Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 9,449 times
SF is far more beautiful in terms of setting and more relaxed but beyond that, NYC is much better.

The SF city area is tiny, like the size of half of Manhattan and the surrounding areas are not as well connected as the surrounding boroughs are to Manhattan, so the cost of living in the city area is actually higher than much of Manhattan except on the very high end.

Manhattan is a mix of people with all sorts of backgrounds doing different things. SF has become overwhelmed with tech workers who are predominately middle class and wealthier, white, east and south asian and male.

NYC is just as much gay friendly as SF and a lot more people live there.

The homeless and panhandlers are notoriously much more aggressive and meaner in SF. In NYC, the homeless largely keep to themselves and panhandlers can be annoying but they will most often just let you pass by if you ignore them. The SF police are also kind of a joke, like never around and about as useful as a store security guard, so crime rates are higher and people can get away with a lot more sh1t while the NYPD are considered among the best police forces in the world (not that they don't have their own issues).

That said, NYC is a lot more stressful to live in and the weather is worse.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:14 PM

70 posts, read 57,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
NYC is world class. You’re spot on. Not even close. Brooklyn, in a silo, could give SF a run for its money.

I’ve liked Chicago and now Boston more than SF as a city. SF is a better option than most, and I did enjoy my time there... but it’s certainly not Paris or London. NYC and Chi are really the only American cities in that class.
What he said. Take it from a guy that's been in SF for a while, with extensive international city experience...SF is NOT what people think / make it out to be. There will be no "but I'm different"...or "but those people that say that just don't get it" ...NO. For someone with pure, international temperence and experience SF is NOT the place you want to be.

SF is currently littered with Progressive POSERS from across the US. They are the people that are 10-15 years behind. Basic / Mediocrity / Passiveness / Herdists are words that come to mind. They are NOT the people with extensive life experiences, or the open minds necessary for say international travel. They are the OPPOSITE of people you'd meet on an amazing travel trip in a hostel or at a random adventure overseas. They are the opposite of people with stories and wisdom. So many people there (not actually from SF) are CLOSE MINDED SNOBS with little life experience but the ability to LARP and pass off all the quirks of being special. It's like the matrix.

Most international (actual international) cities contain a culture that is actually forward thinking, not "millennial white american 'progressive' identity" thinking. The culture of SF is sinking fast. Those with toxic personalities - aka passive aggressive and backwards thinking -- seem to be kings of the hill.

Walking on eggshells. Wrong think. Degeneracy. Mixed in with a seeming autistic "tech bro" world. It's a very very strange place now.

If you have a fervent personality, desire to discover, excitement for possibilities, love of good food, down to earth, an actual creative person with TALENT, SF is NOT the place to be. I made a HUGE mistake for going there and will never ever make that mistake again.

Go to NYC. Just my opinion.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:32 PM

37,022 posts, read 39,094,778 times
I like the move to Chicago suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City