Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Richmond is definitely the cultural capital of Virginia. It leads the commonwealth in visual and performing arts, film, cuisine and fashion. It’s also the political capital (of the state, of course NOVA is the political capital of the country) with lobiests and not for profits representing all of virginia’s intersts located here.

Tidewater is second. Williamsburg/Jamestown and Virginia Beach are probably what most people think of when they think of Virginia.

Charlottesville is the literary capital.

Northern Virginia is the brains and economic engine of the commonwealth.
I'm pretty sure that's Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM

26 posts, read 28,795 times
Cambridge

Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Is it? The reputation of Saint Louis I've heard is a dying city that killed itself in the 60s by destroying all of its historic stock while electing corrupt politicians.

The reputation of Kansas City has always been an underrated city that is way funner than people expect.
The first statement is ridiculously false. Apparently you have no idea and have not experienced Saint Louis. I do think that KC is underrated but most residents could care less because they know what the have and enjoy it. As cities go, Saint Louis faces east while Kansas City faces west and they tend to compliment each other culturally. They are close enough that there is some rivalry but also residents can enjoy the culture and resources of both cities.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's Washington DC.
Most DC politicians live in Virginia. The pundants, lobbyists and journalists that shape policy live in NoVa. The organizations that effect change are located in Virginia...DC is just where they go to work

Old 01-09-2019, 06:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I feel like Madison could take the shine off Milwaukee. Especially moving forward. It's definitely not the best answer for this question but I feel it should be considered.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I think Wisconsin. Madison is more impactful than Milwaukee culturally/politically/etc. State government, flagship university, best job growth (and has been for some time).

Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Most DC politicians live in Virginia. The pundants, lobbyists and journalists that shape policy live in NoVa. The organizations that effect change are located in Virginia...DC is just where they go to work
And that's why DC itself is the capital, not NoVa.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The first statement is ridiculously false. Apparently you have no idea and have not experienced Saint Louis. I do think that KC is underrated but most residents could care less because they know what the have and enjoy it. As cities go, Saint Louis faces east while Kansas City faces west and they tend to compliment each other culturally. They are close enough that there is some rivalry but also residents can enjoy the culture and resources of both cities.
(emphasis added)

Something I've said about the two cities for years: St. Louis is the last great city of the East and Kansas City the first great city of the West.

The rivalry resembles the one between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where I live now. However, it does strike me, as it did growing up, that St. Louis does a lot more looking nervously over its shoulder at Kansas City than Philadelphia does with Pittsburgh while Kansas City boosters have tended to gloat over the city's relative good fortune of late, even while the Missourians especially lament the economic "border war."

But the two cities work together when either doing so benefits both or when pushing for something one city wants won't necessarily harm the other's fortunes. The optional later closing hours for bars in "convention trade zones," something the Kansas Citians wanted more than the St. Louisans did because of the relative importance of convention business to the former city's economy, is a good example.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
(emphasis added)

Something I've said about the two cities for years: St. Louis is the last great city of the East and Kansas City the first great city of the West.
It really is interesting how Missouri has a bit of north, south, east, and west within its borders.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
(emphasis added)

The rivalry resembles the one between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where I live now. However, it does strike me, as it did growing up, that St. Louis does a lot more looking nervously over its shoulder at Kansas City than Philadelphia does with Pittsburgh while Kansas City boosters have tended to gloat over the city's relative good fortune of late, even while the Missourians especially lament the economic "border war."

But the two cities work together when either doing so benefits both or when pushing for something one city wants won't necessarily harm the other's fortunes. The optional later closing hours for bars in "convention trade zones," something the Kansas Citians wanted more than the St. Louisans did because of the relative importance of convention business to the former city's economy, is a good example.
I think that St Louisians think of KC more than Philly does Pittsburgh because KC is a lot closer to St Louis in terms of size and importance than Pitt is to Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City