Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Have you thought about Montreal? lot's of Americans go to McGill (top 30 school) or Concordia. Tuition is cheaper here, education is much better as well, safe environment, transit is top notch, festivals no matter the weather, nightlife is top notch. We're also the second best city worldwide for millennials and #4 in QS best student cities in 2018 (#1 in 2017). If you want more info just send me a PM.

https://www.nestpick.com/millennial-city-ranking-2018/
https://www.topuniversities.com/city-rankings/2018
Great suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Assuming you've evaluated these schools' programs relevant to your studies and concluding that they are all more or less equal in your mind, I would say Georgetown/DC because of weather. Knowing people here in Boston who come from the south, it's hard for them to adjust to winters, or even springs and falls. You'll still need a jacket at night in late May. If that is not an issue for you, NYU and the Boston schools are good choices IMO. Not Umass, for how central is looks on a map, it's really quite isolated and nobody ever thinks about it. There really isn't much there. BC is way better, though it is a painfully long B line ride away from the rest of the city. But if you lived more by Cleveland Circle it's better. BC has more of a "culture", by a long shot.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfa04 View Post
I have worked extremely well in High School and the only schools i'm not sure i could get into are Ivy League schools, MIT and a few others. I dislike living here in Alabama and I am ready to get out and go to college in a big city. I have made a list of all the cities i am thinking about going to college in. I want to be in a safe city with lots of things to do and a good subway system (since I will live off campus unless i am required to freshmen year) to get to campus. In each city how much can I rent a studio for in a safe area.

NYC: NYU, Fordham

Philly: Villanova

DC: Georgetown

Boston: BC, BU, Northeastern, Umass Boston

These schools I would all love to attend so I am going to decide what city I want to be in first, I am open to other suggestions that are not on the west coast which is too far.
It hasn't really been brought up, so in interest in giving you a deeper, quality answer, there are some questions that need to be answered:

1. How are you paying for school? Have you received any confirmed scholarships that enable you to pay for school without insurmountable borrowing? I see nearly all private universities that have high tuition rates.

Here are there rates that I have found:
NYU: $51,828
https://www.nyu.edu/admissions/finan...ongeneral.html

Villanova: $52,578
https://www1.villanova.edu/villanova...aid/costs.html

Fordham: $51,285
https://www.fordham.edu/info/21259/t...e_at_rose_hill

Georgetown: $54,544
https://finaid.georgetown.edu/aid-for-undergrads

BC: $54,600 ($27,300 per Semester)
https://www.bc.edu/offices/stserv/fi...onandfees.html

BU: $52,816
Boston University Admissions Information about Tuition and Aid | Admissions

Northeastern: $50,450 Tuition
https://www.northeastern.edu/admissions/cost/

UMass Boston: $33,966 (Non-Resident)
https://admissions.umb.edu/freshman-...s/cost-and-aid

If you went to University of Alabama, your tuition is only $10,780 for an in-state student
https://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/

While these private universities carry with them more prestige, it is highly unlikely that you will earn enough to offset the cost difference. UofA may even offer a full ride if you are a remarkable student. You wouldn't be the first.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rona...alabama-2015-5

2. How are your parents/family supporting you? Does being close to them matter to you?
3. What exactly do you not like about where you live?
4. Would you be willing to finish college first and then move to the city?
5. Would you be willing to move to a city and work until you gain residency to go to the state college there?

There is nothing wrong with living in these cities, but if you are just borrowing money to live there (via student loans), that doesn't seem wise or sustainable.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 9,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
s a proud alumnus, I'd recommend that you look into Temple University. It's an amazing university with a beautiful campus, excellent facilities, a D1 football team, a dynamic student body, and so much more. The main campus is situated along the Broad Street Line (which runs 24 hours on the weekends), has a major Regional Rail station (which is useful for day trips throughout the region, and to NYC and DC), and several bus routes (some of which run 24/7). What will you be studying? I hold a BBA in Finance from the Fox School of Business. Due to the education and interview etiquette training I received, I had a job offer lined up before I graduated back in May. I ended up quitting that job six months later after receiving a BETTER job offer!

Drexel, Penn, St. Joe's, and LaSalle are all major universities within city limits, but you should really take some time to take a look at Temple if you're interested in a true urban experience. FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT FOR THE CHERRY AND THE WHITE! ']['
They said a studio in a safe area. Is Temple not surrounded by very high crime neighborhoods? If Temple didn't exist, its location would most likely be half urban prairie like some blocks of Kensington. I say this as someone who would choose Philly over the rest of BosWash. You'd know much better than me so I'm curious to hear your opinion on this.

Though they also asked how much for a studio in a safe area. A studio in a safe area within a reasonable commute to Temple is going to be a lot cheaper than a similar studio for the NYC or DC schools. Maybe Boston too but I'm not familiar with all of the Boston campus locations, and some neighborhoods that aren't a short commute to downtown Boston are much cheaper than others. If they were okay with sharing a room I'd be more inclined to suggest NYC.

Would a reasonable assumption for the OP to be to wait and see what fin aid package each school offers? That would make all the difference wouldn't it?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofmice View Post
They said a studio in a safe area. Is Temple not surrounded by very high crime neighborhoods? If Temple didn't exist, its location would most likely be half urban prairie like some blocks of Kensington. I say this as someone who would choose Philly over the rest of BosWash. You'd know much better than me so I'm curious to hear your opinion on this.

Though they also asked how much for a studio in a safe area. A studio in a safe area within a reasonable commute to Temple is going to be a lot cheaper than a similar studio for the NYC or DC schools. Maybe Boston too but I'm not familiar with all of the Boston campus locations, and some neighborhoods that aren't a short commute to downtown Boston are much cheaper than others. If they were okay with sharing a room I'd be more inclined to suggest NYC.

Would a reasonable assumption for the OP to be to wait and see what fin aid package each school offers? That would make all the difference wouldn't it?
Crime does happen in the neighborhood, but Temple takes steps to make sure that students are protected. For example, the neighborhood is patrolled by two sets of police: the Philadelphia PD and the Temple PD. Temple's police force is the fourth largest in the Commonwealth of PA. Also, Temple has a program called Flight, which is similar to ridesharing: students can download an app, request a ride to and from points around the neighborhood, and the bus will drop them off at their doorsteps. Finally, there aren't too many blocks that aren't student-dominated (WEST of the Temple University Regional Rail station) up to around 19th Street, between Girard and Susquehanna.

My experiences will differ from most since I'm not only a 6'2" male, but I was also raised in a poor neighborhood in West Philly. With that said, however, I had no qualms about walking the streets of North Philly at all hours of the night. I will never blame the victims of a crime, but it is best to practice basic street smarts: don't keep your headphones in while walking late at night, be aware of your surroundings, and don't be afraid to change your path if you feel like something isn't right.

Finding a cheap studio will be relatively easy in Philly. Depending on what "cheap" means to the OP, they may actually be able to find a decent 1BR/1BA apartment, depending on which neighborhood they choose to live in. They don't have to limit themselves to the neighborhood surrounding campus either: back when I was a student, I knew people who roomed in South Philly, Northwest Philly, West Philly, and even parts of the Northeast.

Financial aid will be important, and it would probably be best for the OP to wait and see. PA universities are already expensive for in-state students (Penn State costs much more for PA residents than some out-of-state schools!), so I can only imagine what it may be like for an out-of-state student!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
I have worked extremely well in High School and the only schools i'm not sure i could get into are Ivy League schools, MIT and a few others. I dislike living here in Alabama and I am ready to get out and go to college in a big city. I have made a list of all the cities i am thinking about going to college in. I want to be in a safe city with lots of things to do and a good subway system (since I will live off campus unless i am required to freshmen year) to get to campus. In each city how much can I rent a studio for in a safe area.

These schools I would all love to attend so I am going to decide what city I want to be in first, I am open to other suggestions that are not on the west coast which is too far.
Btw, OP Villanova is not in Philadephia but in its 'burbs. However the city is easily accessible from the campus.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Most students doing off campus housing here in NYC have a roommate because it is just so expensive -- especially in the Village, East Village, and Lower East side, which are neighborhoods that are walkable to NYU, or on the Upper West Side, near Fordham's Lincoln Center campus. Depending on size and location, your part of a share here would likely be around $1,200 - $1,500 a month, but less if you lived further from the school or found a deal.

You'd probably do better, rent wise, at Fordham's main campus in the Bronx -- which is a lovely and safe campus BTW -- and an easy ride to Manhattan on the subway. But I don't know what rents might be in the good neighborhoods near there.

In truth though, I would recommend living on campus freshman year. That gives you the chance to get the lay of the land and see where you might want to move later on, how much it might cost, who your roommate might be, etc.etc. etc.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:20 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofmice View Post

Yea, the larger area borders some rough neighborhoods, but the immediate area is fine and the changes to the neighborhood have been notable in the last several years.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
I can think of a lot of factors that I would be focusing on before I'd worry about the city in which the college is located.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 PM

754 posts, read 569,534 times
Quote:

I'd remove UMass Boston off the list. Compared to your other schools it's nowhere near the same level as the others.

Also I believe Villanova is not in Philly, but in a nearby suburb/college town(Villanova, PA.)

For Philly, what about Temple and Drexel? I think those two are definitely better than UMass Boston.

Also for Pittsburgh UPitt is good.

In terms of rent, Pittsburgh is definitely cheaper than the rest.

Rent Prices(cheapest to most expensive):
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Boston/DC
NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City