U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,183,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
California might have the most influence as a state. But that's with two of the top five cities...count cities separately and New York takes the lead.

Interesting point That One Guy. Initiatives are both good and bad...in my state, the "patriotic except with taxes" crowd pushed us back a fair bit, though much of the damage is now reversed.
Yeah I guess I can see how it can be a blessing and a curse. As someone mentioned earlier, California legalized gay marriage, and then reversed it! I would love the power to vote directly on large issues like these though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
If they can't create them on their own of course we gotta donate sum!! looks like New York lost 57k people in 2018 looks like y'all got more to worry about than influence.
New York City is still gaining population on the city level and the MSA level. It doesnít matter to us if people are moving out of Upstate NY since thatís not the same thing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:22 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,169,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Regarding this comment and the East being backwards on the issue, thatís not how this works.

The reason is that most Eastern States donít do ballot initiatives, like in The West. Legalization in The West happened through ballot initiatives. Massachusetts and Maine are the only Northeast States that do ballot initiatives similar to The Western States on issues like this ó and they both legalized it at the same exact time California did (2016 election).

Whatís more impressive is that Vermont has been the only State to legalize marijuana through state legislature ó which IMO is more progressive than ballot initiatives since the politicians in Vermont actually legalized it themselves, instead of the voters.

Also, since these are all on The State level, The President has nothing to do with it. 2 States so far have legalized it with Trump in office (Vermont and Michigan). Marijuana still remains a schedule 1 controlled substance on the Federal level.
As I said earlier Backwards, it's ok I don't expect it to get leagalized in Mississippi soon either. It's not like Trump was going to go backwards on what Obama did for MJ legalization imagine how that would work out. Not sure if you know, but MJ is still illegal federally meaning the DOJ could crack down whenever they wanted. Unless the president doesn't want them to, the president has that power. We do seem to have NY to thank for all of our loud mouth politician's.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,169,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah I guess I can see how it can be a blessing and a curse. As someone mentioned earlier, California legalized gay marriage, and then reversed it! I would love the power to vote directly on large issues like these though.

New York City is still gaining population on the city level and the MSA level. It doesnít matter to us if people are moving out of Upstate NY since thatís not the same thing at all.
NYC is still just a city in NYS it definitely matters and 50k at that. That's crazy! Just one year. California added 157k btw though.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM

10,633 posts, read 7,702,590 times
Miami gaining popularity among young crowd

Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 PM

899 posts, read 447,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
1. LA
2. Bay Area
3. NYC
4. Chicago
5. Atlanta and Miami tied
Honestly, I'm from Chicago and I think you're giving us too much credit. We're probably after Atlanta and Miami, which are both huge now in hip-hop and "partier" culture, and Seattle and possibly Portland are also ahead of us somewhere on the list. Our heyday was in the '30s, '40s, '50s - now pretty much all the new cultural developments that can be seen in Chicago are also present in most other big US cities. Drill rap is the only major cultural innovation I've seen come out of Chicago lately.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,183,632 times
Quote:
As I said earlier Backwards, it's ok I don't expect it to get leagalized in Mississippi soon either. It's not like Trump was going to go backwards on what Obama did for MJ legalization imagine how that would work out. Not sure if you know, but MJ is still illegal federally meaning the DOJ could crack down whenever they wanted. Unless the president doesn't want them to, the president has that power. We do seem to have NY to thank for all of our loud mouth politician's.
I liked Obama, but he did nothing at all for marijuana... and yes I know it’s federally illegal I just said that. All progress has been on the State levels only - that was the point. Obama did just as much as Trump has done on the issue, which is nothing at all.
Quote:
NYC is still just a city in NYS it definitely matters and 50k at that. That's crazy! Just one year. California added 157k btw though.
The topic is about Cities, not States. New York State and New York City are not the same thing at all. The rest of New York State outside of NYC region generally wants nothing to do with us. State borders are just imaginary lines that don’t mean anything outside of politics, taxes, etc.

And speaking of State borders, since the city sits directly on State borders, most of the region outside of the city itself isn’t even in NY State but NJ and CT.

If anything, Upstate losing population while NYC continues to grow could give NYC more power in the State of NY. We never see eye-to-eye on political issues and there remains a big divide in the State between NYC region and the rest.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 AM

28,604 posts, read 25,848,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
^^ One thing isn't like the others.

Being #1 in a major way is a bigger deal than being another hub, a regional leader, or one of the leaders in a genre or two.
I think Atlanta's particular combination is at least worth mentioning. It is the modern-day industrial center of not just a genre of music, but what is now the world's most consumed genre of music (hip hop) and the urban musical genres combined with the rapid ascendancy of the film/TV industry (especially reality TV shows) also makes Atlanta pretty influential in terms of pop culture as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:29 AM

28,604 posts, read 25,848,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hip Hop is NYC so is rap, Blues, Jazz, Motown, Country, Rock and Roll, Blue Grass.

They may have put spins on it but almost all American music genre originated east of the Mississippi. Grunge and NU Metal are sub genres.
Correct. Most of the major musical genres originated in the South.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 AM

109 posts, read 215,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Honestly, I'm from Chicago and I think you're giving us too much credit. We're probably after Atlanta and Miami, which are both huge now in hip-hop and "partier" culture, and Seattle and possibly Portland are also ahead of us somewhere on the list. Our heyday was in the '30s, '40s, '50s - now pretty much all the new cultural developments that can be seen in Chicago are also present in most other big US cities. Drill rap is the only major cultural innovation I've seen come out of Chicago lately.
I would agree that this statement that Chicago is much lower down the list these days; I’d put NY, LA, SF, ATL, Miami, Seattle, and Portland (maybe Austin) all above it.

Chicago DOES have some interesting indirect influence on culture even though it’s not always explicitly recognized. A TON of famous comedians still train at Second City/iO/Annoyance before going on to star in movies and tv shows filmed in NY/LA. I’d venture to say at least half of famous comedians spend a least a year in Chicago honing their talents before getting big.

Chicago is also the home to some interesting niche media as well; such as The Onion and Pitchfork; both of which have an nation-wide influence.

Again, not saying it’s higher than those other cities, but I would say it’s got a shot at 8th or 9th place based on those factors.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 AM

5,183 posts, read 4,742,705 times
Quote:
I'd agree that last century NYC was a big influence on the rest of the country, but now it's definitely the west coast!! NYC seems to loose influence year over year.
That didn't take long for an ignorant comment. New York is still by far the most influential city in the nation and possible the world, not to mention the global economy is essentially centered in New York (commerce, banking, fashion, real estate, etc.)

For entertainment and reality TV type stuff LA, huge gap, then Atlanta and Miami.

DC is more infamous at this point (politics).

After that, its a wash. There is an influence from every city (coffee, Amazon, etc.) but people do not think or talk about Seattle, San Fran, and others on a daily basis. New York and LA on the other hand pop up everywhere. I have yet to take an international trip where New York doesn't pop up in either conversation, a sign, advertisement, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City