U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM

10,633 posts, read 7,702,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Social influence these days comes mostly from media sources (cable news, cable shows, personalities, newspapers, even radio programs). Those are the real influencers, and they touch all across America (even in small remote towns). Even if you don't listen to them, other around you do.

I for one feel no influence from the many cities mentioned in this thread. Hundreds and thousands of miles away, out of sight, out of mind.
Age 18 to 30 it pretty popular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM

5,184 posts, read 4,742,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Nashville, DC, NYC, SF.
Nashville is in no way a trend setting city. And outside of the United States, Nashville is largely unknown.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM

778 posts, read 832,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsmokingrigor View Post
Meaning they have a big impact on American culture as a whole. Seems like NYC is the most obvious answer but apparently Seattle has a big impact too since it is the home of Starbucks and things considered stereotypically "white".

As for California, I think Silicon Valley/Bay Area are key as tech is the fastest growing market and they are the home of tech companies.

DC obviously has a lot of influence because of politics.

Want to know what key cities I might have missed because I have missed quite a few! I know it!
If were talking American cities with their impact on American culture these days. New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami. These four cities are undisputed entertainment hubs.

For innovation or social impact: New York, San Francisco, Seattle, DC, Boston

For their cool factor: Austin, Nashville, Portland, Denver

For their destination factor: New Orleans, Las Vegas, (who am I missing)

For their historical impact on the country: Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia

This really can go on and on...

Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM

1,863 posts, read 904,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
If we’re talking American cities with their impact on American culture these days. New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami. These four cities are undisputed entertainment hubs.

This is pretty accurate, though ATLs impact is overstated. Nobody in the NE or on the West Coast thinks ATL is an entertainment hub.. Like, at all. In fact, in the SE, it’d likely be third in that category behind Nashville and Miami (despite the uptick of filming in ATL). The city has it’s rap/hip hop music ties, which are stronger than ever. Outside of that, not so much.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:44 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,752,465 times
Seems to be a fairly accurate list

Quote:
If were talking American cities with their impact on American culture these days. New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami. These four cities are undisputed entertainment hubs.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 PM

778 posts, read 832,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is pretty accurate, though ATLs impact is overstated. Nobody in the NE or on the West Coast thinks ATL is an entertainment hub.. Like, at all. In fact, in the SE, itd likely be third in that category behind Nashville and Miami (despite the uptick of filming in ATL). The city has its rap/hip hop music ties, which are stronger than ever. Outside of that, not so much.
TV, Film, Music. Media hub. Nashville can only claim one of those. Im not going to debate with you regarding Miami vs Atlanta.

I said what I said and you will deal. Make your own list and let me critique. Buh bye.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM

5,184 posts, read 4,742,705 times
Quote:

Overall good list.

Some notes, I think Boston has a very understated innovation/ educational impact. Kind of for those in the education/ high intelligence world Boston is a front runner, but for your average American, not as much.

For American culture, I don't see Atlanta being a front runner.
New York and LA followed by a huge gap before Miami, followed by a huge gap before Atlanta.
Atlanta is a hub of the Southeast in a number of categories/ industries, but from a national and international standpoint its influence falls off quickly because you have cities like DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, San Fran, all of which (I THINK) provide more influence and are more well known across a wide range of industries and and social topics than Atlanta.

Also, not important to everyone on here, but I think the culinary scene is a big one for trendsetting cities. Outside of the obvious New York, I think LA, Chicago, DC, San Fran and Philadelphia are top tier culinary cities.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM

173 posts, read 232,281 times
I would argue that DC is not a social trendsetter, but actually more of a laggard.

NYC, LA, SF are the overwhelming top 3 trendsetters in America.

The Pacific NW (Seattle and Portland), Atlanta, and maybe Nashville are honorable mentions. Nashville might not be there yet.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM

7,405 posts, read 5,777,873 times
LA, Atlanta, SF have the most social influence.

I also think that NYC's influence has faded over time.

Atlanta is truely impressive as you can't turn on the TV, radio or watch a movie without Atlanta being involved in some fashion.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 2,103,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA, Atlanta, SF have the most social influence.

I also think that NYC's influence has faded over time.

Atlanta is truely impressive as you can't turn on the TV, radio or watch a movie without Atlanta being involved in some fashion.
Atlanta is very genre specific. I can see how it's everywhere if you're into certain categories. Probably why it's so polarizing here.

The only thing I see Atlanta or at least used to towards the beginning was The Walking Dead. Besides that I don't see it much anywhere else... I don't really watch reality shows or listen to hip hop. I've seen numerous films (the marvel films, the darkest minds, the divergent series, hunger games, etc.) that were filmed in Atlanta but they rarely ever reference the city as a setting unlike NYC, DC or "Cali" in general.

I do agree that NYC's star is fading and it started with the internet becoming a general household commodity but I don't think it's from NYC producing less I think other cities are just producing more especially places like SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City