U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 PM

778 posts, read 832,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Overall good list.

Some notes, I think Boston has a very understated innovation/ educational impact. Kind of for those in the education/ high intelligence world Boston is a front runner, but for your average American, not as much.

For American culture, I don't see Atlanta being a front runner.
New York and LA followed by a huge gap before Miami, followed by a huge gap before Atlanta.
Atlanta is a hub of the Southeast in a number of categories/ industries, but from a national and international standpoint its influence falls off quickly because you have cities like DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, San Fran, all of which (I THINK) provide more influence and are more well known across a wide range of industries and and social topics than Atlanta.

Also, not important to everyone on here, but I think the culinary scene is a big one for trendsetting cities. Outside of the obvious New York, I think LA, Chicago, DC, San Fran and Philadelphia are top tier culinary cities.
Weíre not talking about an international standpoint, weíre talking about national. Now that weíve cleared that up: When do folks mention Boston or Philadelphia? Like unless Iím on CityData, or watching sports, I never hear the words Philadelphia or Boston. What exactly are they currently doing to earn their place in American culture in 2019? Nada. If weíre being quite honest (which I am) both of these cities have seen their primes and are just maintaining or slowly growing. I gave them credit where credit is due. They have less than zero impact on pop culture these days.

Chicago is Chicago. Outside of LA and NYC, this city sweeps the floor with everyone else overall. Chicago even still with all of its strengths ainít hot or an ďitĒ city in 2019. Therefore, it doesnít deserve to stand with NY, LA, ATL, and MIA with regard to impact on pop culture this decade.

San Francisco exerts a significant impact on culture, but itís more through innovation and technology than it is through entertainment. Iíll call it a draw.

But this is what I DONT understand.. How in the heck can you say that a city that is practically the defecto capital of an entire race of people (Black Americans, btw, just so youíre clear on who Iím talking about) is not a front runner on American culture? Even BETís CEO himself said that Atlanta is an entertainment hub. No, itís not on NY or LAís level, but who ever said it was?

Oh, but there are plenty of people who echo me when I say Atlanta is an entertainment hub. I LOVE to say it because it makes folks feel some type of way. Why yíall wonít accept it is beyond me.

I could even argue that NY influence is diminishing, but that would be petty considering NYís status as Americaís greatest city.

Now, can you please post your list so I can be petty?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM

778 posts, read 832,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Atlanta is very genre specific. I can see how it's everywhere if you're into certain categories. Probably why it's so polarizing here.

The only thing I see Atlanta or at least used to towards the beginning was The Walking Dead. Besides that I don't see it much anywhere else... I don't really watch reality shows or listen to hip hop. I've seen numerous films (the marvel films, the darkest minds, the divergent series, hunger games, etc.) that were filmed in Atlanta but they rarely ever reference the city as a setting unlike NYC, DC or "Cali" in general.

I do agree that NYC's star is fading and it started with the internet becoming a general household commodity but I don't think it's from NYC producing less I think other cities are just producing more especially places like SF.
See, I can even roll with this. It might not be completely accurate, but it’s more accurate than inaccurate.

I would even add to my list...

For their culinary offerings: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:42 PM

2,881 posts, read 1,602,483 times
San Francisco is a trendsetter for Sh%6t and homeless problems. It's trendsetter for all the urban ills. Feces all over downtown! Coming to a city near you!!! Huge inequalities.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:47 PM

10,633 posts, read 7,702,590 times
Bay Area gave us Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, Apple, Term tech startup etc

Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 PM

202 posts, read 72,662 times
I can't think of a major pop culture influence from Chicago since John Hughes. Maybe Oprah? I don't think of her as pop culture.

Hotlanta and South Beach seem to have more influence in pop culture imo.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 904,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
TV, Film, Music. Media hub. Nashville can only claim one of those. I’m not going to debate with you regarding Miami vs Atlanta.

I said what I said and you will deal. Make your own list and let me critique. Buh bye.
Considering the fact that I agreed with the majority of what you said, this was a pretty emotional response.

Are you surprised to hear ATL, a city of like 400k people, isn’t a leader in the US? Why!? Whether I was in SF, Boston, LA, or Chicago, ATL was never really mentioned in almost any conversation with the exception of rap/hip-hop music. No schools that are polarizing. No notable new companies that immediately come to mind. A few music festivals, but nothing travel worthy. The belt line is cool, though I only know if it’s existence through traveling for work. The city itself is kind of a dead zone... Can hear a pin drop at most times of the day. Some decent nightlife in the neighborhoods, but I associate ATL with strip clubs more than anything else entertainment related. Atlanta’s known as one of America’s worst sports towns, so god knows that doesn’t have any pull.

ATL gives us good rap, and a cheap place for the film industry to shoot. What am I missing?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 PM

[quote=isawooty;54223788] When do folks mention Boston or Philadelphia? Like unless I’m on CityData, or watching sports, I never hear the words Philadelphia or Boston. What exactly are they currently doing to earn their place in American culture in 2019? Nada. If we’re being quite honest (which I am) both of these cities have seen their primes and are just maintaining or slowly growing[quote]

What?

Boston is growing faster than any northern/northeastern city.. People actually dog the city for how much it has changed. It’s one of the few most expensive areas of the country to live because of said growth.. Too many people want to live in/around a city that wasn’t built to scale. Regardless, when was it ever more relevant than it is now? When was this golden age of Boston that we all must have missed?

As for Philly, how is it’s influence on pop culture not every bit as impressive as ATLs right now? Feel like Philadelphia is very relevant today.. More so than the previous decades, I’d guarantee it. Good music scene, great art scene, great food scene, strong black culture, popular figureheads that closely associate themselves with the area, and yes, sports.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 PM

904 posts, read 1,151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I can't think of a major pop culture influence from Chicago since John Hughes. Maybe Oprah? I don't think of her as pop culture.

MJ, Chance the Rapper, Kanye West, Jennifer Hudson, Second City graduates ( a ton of them ), theatre that graduates from here and goes national, Barack and Michelle Obama. Oprah in her day was huge.

Chicago is home to numerous corporations that make decisions affecting our everyday lives without us even thinking of it; McDonald's, Walgreens, Boeing, Catapillar, Groupon, Cars.com, Allstate, Hyatt Hotels and on and on.

Chicago is home to alot of TV drama, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire blah blah as well as movies.

I think people here are selling Chicago short.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post

1/4 of the NBA. Our last president. Kanye West. Chance the Rapper. Soulja Boy. Chief Keef.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 PM

28,607 posts, read 25,848,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is pretty accurate, though ATLs impact is overstated. Nobody in the NE or on the West Coast thinks ATL is an entertainment hub.. Like, at all. In fact, in the SE, itíd likely be third in that category behind Nashville and Miami (despite the uptick of filming in ATL). The city has itís rap/hip hop music ties, which are stronger than ever. Outside of that, not so much.
If by entertainment we're talking primarily about the film/TV and music industries, then I'd definitely say Atlanta is among the top 5 in the country and either tied with Miami or edges it out for first place in the SE. You've got the urban musical genres industry (genres which have a huge mainstream presence) and the rapid rise of the modern film/TV sector as stated, but before that there was Turner Broadcasting and CNN and now there's also TWC and Tyler Perry Studios. That makes for quite a combination when speaking of entertainment. And Nashville would be next in line; although it has a formidable music industry sector (which goes beyond country music), it obviously doesn't have as much of a film/TV sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Atlanta is very genre specific. I can see how it's everywhere if you're into certain categories. Probably why it's so polarizing here.
Where exactly is "here" and why is it so polarizing?

Quote:
The only thing I see Atlanta or at least used to towards the beginning was The Walking Dead. Besides that I don't see it much anywhere else... I don't really watch reality shows or listen to hip hop. I've seen numerous films (the marvel films, the darkest minds, the divergent series, hunger games, etc.) that were filmed in Atlanta but they rarely ever reference the city as a setting unlike NYC, DC or "Cali" in general.
I don't think LA is mentioned as much of a setting in many movies today and that's probably because of the history of the industry there and LA's role as the 'default' city setting. Since so much is being filmed in Atlanta these days, it seems as though it is also taking on some of that 'default' role with no particular city serving as the backdrop, with a couple of movies and TV shows here and there actually being set there. If this trend continues, Atlanta's skyline and certain buildings/landmarks could be just as recognizable among the general populace as LA's in the not-too-distant future.

But beyond this, the influence of the film/TV sector in Atlanta, LA, or NYC certainly extend well beyond those cities serving as the backdrops of TV and movies. Obviously Atlanta is a newcomer to the industry compared to those cities, but when you talk about infrastructure, Atlanta is on the come-up in a big way there. And on the more superficial/mundane side, there's also the numerous musical artists that have relocated to or bought another home in the Atlanta area in recent decades that demonstrates its strength in music (a characteristic it certainly shares with Nashville).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City