U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better
Beaufort SC 19 73.08%
Fairhope AL 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 AM

3,130 posts, read 1,353,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Boy, this was a tougher choice than I thought it would be. There really is no wrong answer here.

Location - Both waterfront cities, with Fairhope situated on a bluff overlooking Mobile Bay's Eastern Shore and Beaufort located at the confluence of tidal rivers a few miles from the Atlantic.
Beaufort has some pretty impressive neighbors: Charleston, Savannah and Hilton Head/Daufuskie, Fripp, Edisto, Hunting and Kiawah Islands.
The closest cities to Fairhope are Mobile and Pensacola, which are not in the same league as Charleston and Savannah, admittedly. But the beaches that are most accessible to Fairhope are some of the prettiest in the country.

Downtown - Both are really lovely, and they share an enormous amount of civic pride; Fairhope in particular takes great pains to keep its downtown well-manicured: Hanging baskets on the lampposts, flowerboxes in the windows and along the sidewalks...just beautiful. Beaufort has a bit more historic, colonial character (it's the older of the two towns by far); Fairhope has a touch of the French/Spanish/Caribbean character you find in Gulf Coast cities like Mobile, Pensacola, Biloxi and New Orleans. Fairhope even has its own French Quarter!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fairhope-fr...arter-fairhope

Beaufort seems to draw tourism from the Atlantic South and Northeast; Fairhope, from the Mid-South and eastern Midwest.
In either city, you're going to find the friendliest, most open people you've ever met.

So my choice is...both! Visit them both!
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 AM

52 posts, read 18,474 times
Quote:
Boy, this was a tougher choice than I thought it would be. There really is no wrong answer here.

Location - Both waterfront cities, with Fairhope situated on a bluff overlooking Mobile Bay's Eastern Shore and Beaufort located at the confluence of tidal rivers a few miles from the Atlantic.
Beaufort has some pretty impressive neighbors: Charleston, Savannah and Hilton Head/Daufuskie, Fripp, Edisto, Hunting and Kiawah Islands.
The closest cities to Fairhope are Mobile and Pensacola, which are not in the same league as Charleston and Savannah, admittedly. But the beaches that are most accessible to Fairhope are some of the prettiest in the country.

Downtown - Both are really lovely, and they share an enormous amount of civic pride; Fairhope in particular takes great pains to keep its downtown well-manicured: Hanging baskets on the lampposts, flowerboxes in the windows and along the sidewalks...just beautiful. Beaufort has a bit more historic, colonial character (it's the older of the two towns by far); Fairhope has a touch of the French/Spanish/Caribbean character you find in Gulf Coast cities like Mobile, Pensacola, Biloxi and New Orleans. Fairhope even has its own French Quarter!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fairhope-fr...arter-fairhope

Beaufort seems to draw tourism from the Atlantic South and Northeast; Fairhope, from the Mid-South and eastern Midwest.
In either city, you're going to find the friendliest, most open people you've ever met.

So my choice is...both! Visit them both!
Agreed. Both very comparable, and the fact they both have ties to Forrest Gump is very ironic .

Old 02-08-2019, 09:39 AM

1,405 posts, read 444,049 times
Never been to the South Carolina coast, but is it less humid than the Alabama Coast? It seems like nowhere can rival the Gulf Coast in terms of humidity except Florida.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Never been to the South Carolina coast, but is it less humid than the Alabama Coast? It seems like nowhere can rival the Gulf Coast in terms of humidity except Florida.
Cities of Charleston and Savannah are very comparable in terms of humidity of other southeastern cites Gulf/Atlantic. Below are heat indexes which humidity being the main factor for figuring.
http://www.bertsperling.com/2013/07/...ew-heat-index/

Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM

22,052 posts, read 34,308,979 times
Quote:
The only discernible difference is that Beaufort sometimes gets the advantage of offshore winds from the Atlantic.
The breezes also serve to mitigate contact with flying insects.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The only discernible difference is that Beaufort sometimes gets the advantage of offshore winds from the Atlantic.
The breezes also serve to mitigate contact with flying insects.
This is true where as the Gulf Coast air feels more stagnant and stifling

Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM

I observe more Spanish moss on the southeast coast than the gulf. Is this due to more rainfall? Does heat and humidity factor in as well?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM

1,405 posts, read 444,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacO803 View Post
I observe more Spanish moss on the southeast coast than the gulf. Is this due to more rainfall? Does heat and humidity factor in as well?
I'm pretty sure the Gulf Coast is more humid than anywhere else except Florida's Atlantic Coast, and Spanish moss is everywhere in New Orleans and Biloxi and Mobile. The Gulf also tends to be even more rainy than the southeast coast.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Gulf Coast is more humid than anywhere else except Florida's Atlantic Coast, and Spanish moss is everywhere in New Orleans and Biloxi and Mobile. The Gulf also tends to be even more rainy than the southeast coast.
Maybe itís because every city Iíve been in the Gulf was a larger city, Compared to SC/GA sea islands which I feel are dripping and inundated with Spanish moss. I observed more in Savanna and Charleston than Gulf Port New Orleans and Mobile personally. I also feel thereís more and thicker vegetation on the southeast include Florida which contributes to more perceived Spanish moss.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

22,052 posts, read 34,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacO803 View Post
Maybe itís because every city Iíve been in the Gulf was a larger city, Compared to SC/GA sea islands which I feel are dripping and inundated with Spanish moss. I observed more in Savanna and Charleston than Gulf Port New Orleans and Mobile personally. I also feel thereís more and thicker vegetation on the southeast include Florida which contributes to more perceived Spanish moss.
The vegetation between the two areas is, to me, virtually the same: St. Augustine grass, azaleas (notably Formosa and Pride of Mobile varieties), Live Oaks festooned with Spanish Moss, Longleaf Pines and Sabal Palms. I've not noticed a difference in the amount of Spanish Moss between the two areas, but what is true is that Spanish Moss can be very mercurial in its growth patterns. There was a period some decades back in coastal Georgia when the moss all but disappeared from the oaks. No one knew why (some blamed car exhaust LOL), but eventually it came back with a vengeance. So my guess is that the growth patterns of Spanish Moss are inconsistent throughout the coastal South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City