Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA or NYC
NYC 49 53.85%
LA 42 46.15%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM

783 posts, read 686,689 times

Advertisements

By mid-century, where would you prefer to live - NYC or LA? Both will have grown, LA should have finished its public transportation roll-out. Do you think that the edge will be as large for NYC or LA as it is now? Which place has the brightest future? Of course compare the metro not just the immediate cities. You can count all of the stuff that you normally do. Jobs, QOL, COL etc.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,403,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
By mid-century, where would you prefer to live - NYC or LA? Both will have grown, LA should have finished its public transportation roll-out. Do you think that the edge will be as large for NYC or LA as it is now? Which place has the brightest future? Of course compare the metro not just the immediate cities. You can count all of the stuff that you normally do. Jobs, QOL, COL etc.
I think neither for me if they are growing at the rate they are growing.

NYC would be so ridiculously expensive by then, and LA too but probably running out of water.

I like both cities, but kind of nervous how much bigger they will get in the next 30 years. Too much.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

4,133 posts, read 2,763,328 times
Hollywood is dying and NYC just got Amazon, so... yeah, neither interest me now and I don’t see that changing when I’m 67.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,591,700 times
I'm biased for NYC for more structural reasons. LA would need to be like Tokyo transit wise for me to live there, and even then it's too hot for me. Summer in NYC is brutal, but at least it's only 3 months of the year. NYC has a brighter future and has a lot more potential if the NIMBY-ism dies, which probably won't be in my lifetime.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Hollywood is dying and NYC just got Amazon, so... yeah, neither interest me now and I don’t see that changing when I’m 67.
What do you mean Hollywood is dying? Just curious what you mean.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,246,450 times
If NYC can figure out MTA and PATH gets extended, more development can occur further away from the center of everything. Then, I think NYC will be able to manage that increase in population. I mean as of right now there are many heavily suburban areas of NYC. Other major urban cities don't really have that as much. I.e. Forest Hills and Staten Island need to urbanize and get better public transit. It allows more footprints to grow vertically.

I don't think LA will manage well in 2050. The full LAMTA will hopefully be implemented by then, but LA will still never have the urban design of NYC. People don't move to LA to live an urban lifestyle; they move there to be suburbanites often. The mentality of the people will never change enough IMO to allow LA to urbanize properly. It would require replacing large swaths of SFH with mixed use or apartments and many of the retail corridors need to start building residential units on top of them; single floor restaurants with nothing above them is NOT how a city urbanizes properly. If LA doesn't do that, the public transit will not be as effective as it can be, so people will continue adding to the traffic. I see LA 2050 being even more gridlocked, unless we develop new technologies. But beyond that, I don't think LA's water supply can last long enough if the IE, High Desert, Las Vegas, and Phoenix continue growing as quickly. So beyond the regular built environment, I think LA will be stopped by its water capacity.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,246,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
What do you mean Hollywood is dying? Just curious what you mean.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is losing its status. Many studios are opening satellite locations that rival LA's capability. Movies are being filmed in many more locations now. Off the top of my head, I know Atlanta, NC, and Vancouver are stealing a lot of LA's filming. It'll never die in LA, it'll always be the center of it all, but Hollywood is going to continue facing stiff competition from other cities and studios opening in other cities.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If NYC can figure out MTA and PATH gets extended, more development can occur further away from the center of everything. Then, I think NYC will be able to manage that increase in population. I mean as of right now there are many heavily suburban areas of NYC. Other major urban cities don't really have that as much. I.e. Forest Hills and Staten Island need to urbanize and get better public transit. It allows more footprints to grow vertically.

I don't think LA will manage well in 2050. The full LAMTA will hopefully be implemented by then, but LA will still never have the urban design of NYC. People don't move to LA to live an urban lifestyle; they move there to be suburbanites often. The mentality of the people will never change enough IMO to allow LA to urbanize properly. It would require replacing large swaths of SFH with mixed use or apartments and many of the retail corridors need to start building residential units on top of them; single floor restaurants with nothing above them is NOT how a city urbanizes properly. If LA doesn't do that, the public transit will not be as effective as it can be, so people will continue adding to the traffic. I see LA 2050 being even more gridlocked, unless we develop new technologies. But beyond that, I don't think LA's water supply can last long enough if the IE, High Desert, Las Vegas, and Phoenix continue growing as quickly. So beyond the regular built environment, I think LA will be stopped by its water capacity.
I agree. I see LA having major problems in the future. It's going to have to really add density big time in order to get things in order. Then there is the issue of climate change and water. In truth I can see LA starting to lose population then, and other cities too, like Phoenix.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Do rapidly-growing Western metro areas have a plan for increasing their potable water capacity by 2050 if they all continue growing? Will there be enough water in places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, and Los Angeles? I guess Los Angeles can just invest billions in desalination plants to tap the Pacific Ocean, but Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Denver are growing gang-busters, too.

I have a fear of earthquakes, so Los Angeles would never be a place I'd like to live. With that being said Manhattan might flood much more frequently in 2050 if ocean levels continue to rise.

Can we add Pittsburgh as an option?!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:31 PM

13,959 posts, read 13,722,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Everything come to end I don’t think Amazon will as popular around 2050
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City