U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:15 AM

808 posts, read 215,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
LA is opposite both Chicago and NYC. LA embraces the car, and sprawls out into valleys--with gorgeous mountains surrounding the city and the Pacific Ocean hugging the western side.

NYC is dense, tightly packed and vertical. Very reliant on the subway, bus, bike, ferry or walking to get from point A to point B. Los Angeles grew from reliance on the automobile, and built its city to accommodate the car, rather than to accommodate walkability or public transportation.

Chicago is also dense and vertical downtown. However, it resembles New York much more than Los Angeles.

I would say that in the past decade or so, LA has begun to rapidly expand its public transportation rapid rail system, and that is encouraging. Also, its downtown has been adding more density in terms of high-rises. All good things, I think. Less sprawl and less traffic-orientation.
A large chunk of NYC actually was developed for cars (but while still having transit options). The parts of Brooklyn developed after World War II for instance, are made up of mostly garage buildings, standalone houses with driveways, and rowhouses with driveways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:06 AM

14,471 posts, read 18,334,987 times
I don't even know where the thought of this "White people are more similar in LA to NYC than to Chicago" even comes from.

From the 2017 ACS (5 year), table B05006

Population born in Eastern Europe
NYC MSA: 455,262 people
Chicago MSA: 264,087 people
LA MSA: 91,927 people

Population born in Southern Europe
NYC MSA: 217,731 people
Chicago MSA: 37,247 people
LA MSA: 23,468 people

Population born in Western Europe
NYC MSA: 105,352 people
LA MSA: 49,112 people
Chicago MSA: 30,717 people

Population born in Northern Europe
NYC MSA: 113,485 people
LA MSA: 57,205 people
Chicago MSA: 27,091 people

The only thing, which isn't European, that LA is more similar in this regard to NYC is on Western Asian (i.e. Middle Eastern) population. Otherwise - Eastern European for example is definitely more similar in Chicago to NYC than it is in LA to NYC.

People reporting single ancestry as German
Chicago MSA: 364,391 people
NYC MSA: 267,979 people
LA MSA: 180,562 people

People reporting single ancestry as Arab
NYC MSA: 160,027 people
LA MSA: 81,829 people
Chicago MSA: 68,228 people

Old Today, 11:20 AM

173 posts, read 231,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't even know where the thought of this "White people are more similar in LA to NYC than to Chicago" even comes from.

From the 2017 ACS (5 year), table B05006

Population born in Eastern Europe
NYC MSA: 455,262 people
Chicago MSA: 264,087 people
LA MSA: 91,927 people

Population born in Southern Europe
NYC MSA: 217,731 people
Chicago MSA: 37,247 people
LA MSA: 23,468 people

Population born in Western Europe
NYC MSA: 105,352 people
LA MSA: 49,112 people
Chicago MSA: 30,717 people

Population born in Northern Europe
NYC MSA: 113,485 people
LA MSA: 57,205 people
Chicago MSA: 27,091 people

The only thing, which isn't European, that LA is more similar in this regard to NYC is on Western Asian (i.e. Middle Eastern) population. Otherwise - Eastern European for example is definitely more similar in Chicago to NYC than it is in LA to NYC.

People reporting single ancestry as German
Chicago MSA: 364,391 people
NYC MSA: 267,979 people
LA MSA: 180,562 people

People reporting single ancestry as Arab
NYC MSA: 160,027 people
LA MSA: 81,829 people
Chicago MSA: 68,228 people
And what percent of White people in Chicago or NYC were born in Europe as opposed to being native US born? I don't think this is a meaningful stat dump. The real stat is ancestry reported across the board for all Whites, not singling out foreign-born Whites. Foreign born Whites are a minority in all 3 MSAs.

Old Today, 12:23 PM

14,471 posts, read 18,334,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
And what percent of White people in Chicago or NYC were born in Europe as opposed to being native US born? I don't think this is a meaningful stat dump. The real stat is ancestry reported across the board for all Whites, not singling out foreign-born Whites. Foreign born Whites are a minority in all 3 MSAs.
Percentage of white non Hispanic born in Europe:

NYC MSA: 9.4%
Chicago MSA: 7.1%
LA MSA: 5.6%

Chicago and LA most similar

LA is more similar to Chicago on this percentage, not NYC.

Percentage of non Hispanic white:
Chicago MSA: 53.4%
NYC MSA: 47%
LA MSA: 30%

Chicago and NYC most similar

Percentage of people reporting Irish ancestry:
Chicago MSA: 4.3%
NYC MSA: 4.2%
LA MSA: 1.5%

Percentage of people reporting German ancestry:
Chicago MSA: 6.2%
NYC MSA: 2%
LA MSA: 1.9%

LA and NYC most similar

Percentage of people reporting Italian ancestry:
NYC MSA: 9.2%
Chicago MSA: 3.5%
LA MSA: 1.5%

Percentage of people reporting Polish.ancestry:
Chicago MSA: 6.4%
NYC MSA: 2.3%
LA MSA: 0.48%

Percentage of people reporting Russian ancestry:
NYC MSA: 1.53%
LA MSA: 0.72%
Chicago MSA: 0.70%

Percentage of people reporting English ancestry:
LA MSA: 1.52%
Chicago MSA: 1.40%
NYC MSA: 0.87%

LA and Chicago most similar

Percentage of people reporting French ancestry:
LA MSA: 0.32%
NYC MSA: 0.29%
Chicago MSA: 0.29%

Chicago and NYC basically the same exact percentage, but in reality they are all similar to one another.

Percentage of people reporting Greek ancestry:
Chicago MSA: 0.85%
NYC MSA: 0.72%
LA MSA: 0.18%

Etc.

People reporting ancestry as Irish, German, French, or Italian:

NYC MSA: 15.69%
Chicago MSA: 14.29%
LA MSA: 5.22%

Last edited by marothisu; Today at 12:51 PM..

Old Today, 12:32 PM

852 posts, read 502,391 times
Cool stats!

Old Today, 03:04 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,187,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
No major metro area outside of Israel is at New York's level in terms of Jewish cultural influence, percent of total White population, or raw numbers.

I didn't say Chicago doesn't have a meaningful Jewish population. Just simply stated that the White population in LA MSA overall has more in common with NYC than Chicago. And even at that, the similarities are quite thin for both.
I think you missed my point. My observation was about Jews being a significantly large group in China cago’s history. I was says ng that Jews are a significant part of the Chicago, as the are in New York. And that Jews were a major part of eastern Europeans in the Windy City

Old Today, 03:19 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,187,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Lived in Chicago and NYC, and spent a lot of time in LA. I don't find LA is like either place. Each place is unique in reality. If you want to get into the nitty gritty of things then there are some things that LA and Chicago are closer on, and other things that NYC and LA are on. It's a relative comparison though. At the end of the day, they are all unique and I've never once thought that LA and NYC even share a lot in common.

Also the stereotype of "classically american" for Chicago is overplayed. Not saying it's less classically american than the other 2 places, but it's overplayed. Usually by people who have never actually lived in the area or by people who have and never leave a 3 neighborhood radius (there's a lot of that in the city) and don't truly know the area that well.
Our greatest cities mostly congrgate on the coasts. Their roots are European colonial. The English gave us Boston and Philly, the Dutch New York. Spain put Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Chicago was startd by Americans. It truly is “the Great American City”. The 19th century is the one most asosiated with America developing into true nationhood and Chicago which saw the shortest drive to huge city in world history at the time. So nothing stands out as being so American as Chicago. Its noncolonial, purely American roots gave it its spcial US starus. And the fact that the South throughout that cntury was aplace apart, culturally different from the rest of America means it wasn’t thought of in a truly national perspective.

I see Chicago and itsrole in American history created the idea of the great American city

Old Today, 10:39 PM

891 posts, read 443,552 times
NYC and Chicago are more like each other than either is like LA.

Old Today, 10:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,107,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
NYC and Chicago are more like each other than either is like LA.
qft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or