U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM

25 posts, read 6,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I would go to the Tampa Bay area. Great beaches, tropical weather, lots to do, and affordable. Though it has a good number of retirees, there are a good number of younger people too. I love the area. Thought it was ironic and got a little chuckle that you're a body builder/health conscience/healthy foods, yet you want to "party"/"make up for lost time", lol. Good luck in your search wherever you end up.
It is truly ironic lol. It's definitely not simple for sure. I don't exactly want to be a drinking machine when going out though so I keep it at a few drinks a week "2 or 3"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,772,013 times
Yes—if one plans on being an Uber driver or a food server for their career, Spanish is more essential for getting a job in Miami or Miami Beach. Have not had an issue in Brickell (more Latino than Miami Beach) with English only though I brought my job with me from CA. Depends what field one plans to work in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
Spanish is basically a necessity when getting a job there. I work in the health field and they essentially demand it. No espanyol for me

Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes—if one plans on being an Uber driver or a food server for their career, Spanish is more essential for getting a job in Miami or Miami Beach. Have not had an issue in Brickell (more Latino than Miami Beach) with English only though I brought my job with me from CA. Depends what field one plans to work in.
Health care

Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Quite a few doctors and health practitioners living in my building in Brickell who work at nearby U of Miami health complex and only speak English.

I moved to Miami, by choice, from San Diego. No regrets so far. More urban, which I prefer (as an ex NY’er). Miami Beach also has an urban vibe—not “laid back”—as well as Mt Sinai Hospital. Definitely no English speaking problem on the beach.

San Diego has a ton of health care positions but the area was too slow for my tastes (think Naperville meets Boca). Some prefer that more suburban lifestyle. Tampa will be more similar to San Diego than Miami. If surfing is a driving factor, move to San Diego. Water is colder but waves are bigger.

Your $105K should go further in Miami (and Tampa) than SD....no state income tax, lower car registration fees, lower utility bills (even with AC on during summer), lower gas prices. Property taxes and tolls/parking higher here but you still come out ahead in the end—UNLESS you plan on going clubbing and/or to spots here that charge NYC prices for drinks and entry all the time. (Will you be going frequently to LIV and Story and paying $50-100 covers regularly, paying $16 for a can of Corona at SLS, buying a $2K annual pool membership at The Standard, etc etc ??)...many places/most are not like what I just described. SD does have clubs but it’s mostly, not all, a chill nightlife with dive bars and craft beer.

Quote:
Health care

Last edited by elchevere; 02-07-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Quite a few doctors and health practitioners living in my building in Brickell who work at nearby U of Miami health complex and only speak English.

I moved to Miami, by choice, from San Diego. No regrets so far. More urban, which I prefer (as an ex NY’er). Miami Beach also has an urban vibe—not “laid back”—as well as Mt Sinai Hospital. Definitely no English speaking problem on the beach.

San Diego has a ton of health care positions but the area was too slow for my tastes (think Naperville meets Boca). Some prefer that more suburban lifestyle. Tampa will be more similar to San Diego than Miami. If surfing is a driving factor, move to San Diego. Water is colder but waves are bigger.

Your $105K should go further in Miami (and Tampa) than SD....no state income tax, lower car registration fees, lower utility bills (even with AC on during summer), lower gas prices. Property taxes and tolls/parking higher here but you still come out ahead in the end—UNLESS you plan on going clubbing and/or to spots here that charge NYC prices for drinks and entry all the time. (Will you be going frequently to LIV and Story and paying $50-100 covers regularly, paying $16 for a can of Corona at SLS, buying a $2K annual pool membership at The Standard, etc etc ??)...many places/most are not like what I just described. SD does have clubs but it’s mostly, not all, a chill nightlife with dive bars and craft beer.
That's what I was worried about. It seems like a sleepy beach town but I heard some negatives in miami about people being shallow, gold diggers, people not really being able to make any friends, etc.

Literally every single place that I look somebody has some negatives to say ab it, there is no perfect city at all obv. I think theres dbags, shallow women, @#@holes, bad traffic virtually in every big city. Miami does sound very interesting though. Good suggestion

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM

don't get me wrong...San Diego could work for you at age 26.....a lot of people your age (and years beyond) love to get drunk on craft beer and downtown does have a couple of nightclubs....it's just not as sophisticated a city as Chicago (focused more on the beach and outdoors activities rather than urban activities)...you might or might not tire of the scene in your 30's, depending upon who and what types of people you socialize with.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:56 PM

473 posts, read 267,546 times
Quote:
Hey Guys!! I'm trying to decide a more fitting city for me and I can't and it's eating me up. I'm currently living in the chicagoland suburbs and wondering if I should leave for greener pastures. Little about me:

-I'm a powerlifter/bodybuilder
-I really really really don't like the cold and I LOVEEE the heat (the hottest of the hot)
-I love the beach and would love to learn how to surf and do other active activities
-Based on my bodybuilding lifestyle, I usually will eat healthy foods, track my calories etc. so restaurants are usually only saved for special occasions (bday's, dates, holidays, etc.)
- Would LOVE to have a city with a pretty good nightlife (didn't get to party in college wanna make up for that )
-I'd be making 105k probably in both locations.
-I don't mind driving except for RIDICULOUSLY long commutes (goodbye LA)

Chicago Pros: Beautiful city, really nice affordable apartments, affordable in general, more amenities, one of the best in the nation's nightlife, more healthy restaurant options, really good public transit, lots of YPs.

Cons: We literally have the worst weather in the entire *(&$%^ U.S. I @#$ you not. It was literally 50 degrees like yesterday and now it's 30. I really really hate this weather and I'll be completely honest, It seems like a LOT of the activities in Chicago involve the following two: drinking and eating. That's all fine and dandy for the avg joe but for a health conscious person like me, I'd rather not live a life based around that as the prime source of entertainment. I'd prob have a few drinks a week tbh. I like active things not so much as "cultural" activities. I really could care less about operas, museums and art, etc. I'd rather ski than watch someone sing to me. Just me

San Diego pros: OCEAN , So many outdoor activities to do: ski, surf, waterski, paragliding, sail, atvs, etc. you name it, they got it. Laid back people (idk ab this being good), I'm guessing more attractive girls?, more people in shape (can relate more), best weather in the U.S.

Cons: Less amenities, from what I hear the nightlife here is decent at best. I'm pretty sure Wallethub has it at 19th best nightlife in the U.S. SO many people !@#$ on it, less places to explore

It breaks my heart to hear that San Diego nightlife sucks because other than that, I feel like it'd be an amazing city to be in and the perfect one for me. I really want to move to a warmer climate but at the same time I live right by one of the greatest cities in the world. I really just can't decide.

If anyone else has some interesting warmer "other" suggestion, feel free to mention it as well! (Don't even think about mentioning NYC, not a chance)
Moving to San Diego would certainly be a big improvement in the lifestyle that you desire, relative to Chicago. (I was in Chicago for the polar vortex last week. No thanks!!) Being in SoCal there's a big bodybuilding culture and you can even head up to LA once in awhile to the bodybuilding Mecca. And definitely a healthy, outdoor culture overall. Huge surfing culture, skiing is a couple hours away driving or flying. And it can all be done year round. However, the weather in SD is very consistent but definitely not the hottest of the hot. I think it's the perfect weather for bodybuilding/powerlifting because you can train in open air gyms or outdoors year round (maybe not Jan/Feb). SD will be consistently warm (70s; daytime high) or cool (60s) with low humidity. Rain is restricted to maybe 20 days in a given year. Though in my opinion, it's only "beach" weather 3-4 months/year.

If you really want the hottest of the hot you might want to consider Miami which others have recommended. Miami has a strong bodybuilding culture and will be consistently warm to hot year round with high humidity so you'll likely be training in AC most of the year. Miami is flat with no waves so hiking and surfing are out, but other water activities (waterskiing, jet ski, etc) and beach weather are in for most of the year.

I'm well beyond the "nightlife" phase of my life, in bed by 9:00 even on weekends, but from what I hear from the younger guys, nightlife in SD is pretty good, though bars do close at 2:00. Miami nightlife is legendary, though expensive and becomes a lifestyle in itself, perhaps incompatible with a bodybuilding lifestyle.

Both places are full of attractive, in shape women, and Miami and SD are often ranked #1 and #2 in this regard. Miami is more the Latin American type and SD more biased towards Asian (and the stunning Asian/Latina mixes). Not sure if you have a "type" when it comes to women, but both places are good environments for a young guy.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Moving to San Diego would certainly be a big improvement in the lifestyle that you desire, relative to Chicago. (I was in Chicago for the polar vortex last week. No thanks!!) Being in SoCal there's a big bodybuilding culture and you can even head up to LA once in awhile to the bodybuilding Mecca. And definitely a healthy, outdoor culture overall. Huge surfing culture, skiing is a couple hours away driving or flying. And it can all be done year round. However, the weather in SD is very consistent but definitely not the hottest of the hot. I think it's the perfect weather for bodybuilding/powerlifting because you can train in open air gyms or outdoors year round (maybe not Jan/Feb). SD will be consistently warm (70s; daytime high) or cool (60s) with low humidity. Rain is restricted to maybe 20 days in a given year. Though in my opinion, it's only "beach" weather 3-4 months/year.

If you really want the hottest of the hot you might want to consider Miami which others have recommended. Miami has a strong bodybuilding culture and will be consistently warm to hot year round with high humidity so you'll likely be training in AC most of the year. Miami is flat with no waves so hiking and surfing are out, but other water activities (waterskiing, jet ski, etc) and beach weather are in for most of the year.

I'm well beyond the "nightlife" phase of my life, in bed by 9:00 even on weekends, but from what I hear from the younger guys, nightlife in SD is pretty good, though bars do close at 2:00. Miami nightlife is legendary, though expensive and becomes a lifestyle in itself, perhaps incompatible with a bodybuilding lifestyle.

Both places are full of attractive, in shape women, and Miami and SD are often ranked #1 and #2 in this regard. Miami is more the Latin American type and SD more biased towards Asian (and the stunning Asian/Latina mixes). Not sure if you have a "type" when it comes to women, but both places are good environments for a young guy.

Good luck with your choice!
I looked into it, and it seems like the majority of jobs require Spanish in the field that I want to go into which is health care....Miami would have been perfect I feel like. It would very hard to be competitive.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM

If you do choose SD, one area they excel in is gyms—places like Fit Athletic Club, Pt Loma Sports Club, etc have some of the best, cutting edge equipment that I have worked out with.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 AM

775 posts, read 240,306 times
The only thing Id caution you on is that San Diego isnt hot. If you want to move into the valleys inland, you can get more heat. However the beach keeps things relatively cool and moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or