U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,089,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
San Diego has a ton of health care positions but the area was too slow for my tastes (think Naperville meets Boca). Some prefer that more suburban lifestyle.
I've always been surprised at how sedate San Diego is. The weather's intoxicating for the first hour, then there's some neat things to see, and then I'm done. If you're in life science research, though, that's definitely your best option.

Depending on how you can manage where you work and live (and health care is pretty well dispersed), you might be able to find a corner of LA that's (a) your speed and (b) doesn't involve lengthy commutes. The South Bay or Long Beach don't have Westside prices, but have their own pleasant beachy scenes.

Overall, though, it sounds like you'd have a good time in South Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:25 PM

33 posts, read 10,757 times
I'm in the same boat as OP. Young, making good money, can move anywhere.

The problem with SD is there's no single women. I wouldn't recommend it for that fact. We'll die single.
Bodybuilding wise SD is great. LA will still be king in fitness, but SD is a great runner up.

I love Chicago especially in the summer, super cheap on our salaries. We could afford to live downtown on the river and workout at Eqiunox. The rivier walk is amazing for fasted cardio in the morning during the summer. I'm not sure if I can say the same during the winter. And we'd need a red light lamp. Dating would be x5 easier in Chicago.

Miami isn't a bad choice either and there's no state income tax. I do hear issues with it such as everyone speaks Spanish, is rude, bad traffic.. I'll visit next month and let you know.

Last edited by partypartyparty; 02-16-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM

33 posts, read 10,757 times
Why do you hate NYC?

If you're in health care, either Chicago or Miami. Chicago has the top schools for medical and Miami is filled with anti aging clinics.

Last edited by partypartyparty; 02-16-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 PM

25 posts, read 7,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post

The problem with SD is there's no single women. I wouldn't recommend it for that fact. We'll die single.
Bodybuilding wise SD is great. LA will still be king in fitness, but SD is a great runner up.

I love Chicago especially in the summer, super cheap on our salaries. We could afford to live downtown on the river and workout at Eqiunox. The rivier walk is amazing for fasted cardio in the morning during the summer. I'm not sure if I can say the same during the winter. And we'd need a red light lamp. Dating would be x5 easier in Chicago.

Miami isn't a bad choice either and there's no state income tax. I do hear issues with it such as everyone speaks Spanish, is rude, bad traffic.. I'll visit next month and let you know.
YES NOW YOUR TALKIN MY LANGUAGE! Alright so SD is out of the question. I'm assuming your in Chicago now? Dude, I'm not gonna lie I agree. Chicago is SUPER cheap compared to a lot of major cities. We could live in River north/ Lincoln park and live pretty damn nice.

I don't know about Miami my friend. Hopefully, If I do apply there for jobs I can get it but they're lookin pretty slim. LOTS of jobs in my field lookin for spanish speakers. It's a beautiful city though with GORGEOUS women. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE TRUVADA IF U GO!!!!

What do you feel about LA?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 PM

25 posts, read 7,609 times
Quote:
Why do you hate NYC?

If you're in health care, either Chicago or Miami. Chicago has the top schools for medical and Miami is filled with anti aging clinics.
Honestly, NYC seems like a dirty, cold expensive city. I never went but even with a salary north of 100k, it's peasant money in the face of that city. I feel like we'd be settling there instead of thriving.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 381,110 times
Quote:

The problem with SD is there's no single women. I wouldn't recommend it for that fact. We'll die
Lol. Nothing could be further from the truth. I will say the bar is raised high so if you donít come with your A game I can see how someone thatís visiting, or just moved here, might think this. If you live here and have your sh** together with a personality without being a creeper thereís no better place, especially when youíre young.

With that said, I remember you from your last thread where you were splitting hairs on the male/female ratios in select cities.

Quote:
Age 21-29

Miami is 1.01
LA - 1.04
SD - 1.16 (Damn wtf... I this was a choice)
NYC - 0.93
CHI - .97

Well it looks like CHI and NYC are the only ones.

That being said, Tampa is looking alright. Is it big enough though?
If youíve actually ever been here Iím not too surprised you left disappointed, but Iím guessing youíve never been here with that crazy statement about there being no single woman in this town.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 AM

5,738 posts, read 6,067,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Lol. Nothing could be further from the truth. I will say the bar is raised high so if you don’t come with your A game I can see how someone that’s visiting, or just moved here, might think this. If you live here and have your sh** together with a personality without being a creeper there’s no better place, especially when you’re young.

With that said, I remember you from your last thread where you were splitting hairs on the male/female ratios in select cities.

If you’ve actually ever been here I’m not too surprised you left disappointed, but I’m guessing you’ve never been here with that crazy statement about there being no single woman in this town.
Taco Soup.... you know better. They don’t call it Man Diego for nothing. I’m a gay guy so I don’t have any skin in the game, but I know the dating scene in SD sucks for straight males. I heard it time and again from my straight friends there and I’m absolutely positive it’s as true today as it was a few years ago when I lived there. Chicago is actually a much better city for guys. Less 49ers.

Now I will say, San Diego is a phenomenal city for a gay guy. I had a great dating life and I had my first long term relationship there. But... dudes.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 381,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Taco Soup.... you know better. They donít call it Man Diego for nothing. Iím a gay guy so I donít have any skin in the game, but I know the dating scene in SD sucks for straight males. I heard it time and again from my straight friends there and Iím absolutely positive itís as true today as it was a few years ago when I lived there. Chicago is actually a much better city for guys. Less 49ers.

Now I will say, San Diego is a phenomenal city for a gay guy. I had a great dating life and I had my first long term relationship there. But... dudes.
Whatís funny is Iíve never heard that term, Man Diego, used by straight guys until I came on these boards. It was only by a gay neighbor of mine talking about how great it is, and like you said as well, being a gay man in this city. Since this is the case wouldnít it be even easier to date as a straight man if you have less competition?? I own a bar at the beach and bartended for many years before that and I can tell you thereís no shortage of single woman looking to have a good time in this town.

Now maybe if by dating that means getting into a serious relationship and settling down at a young age then yes, itís probably not the best city. As for your friends, or others on this site, saying itís difficult thereís countless reasons for that, but a lack of woman isnít one of them.

From my personal experience when I was single (and I was until age 39), and that of most my friends, along what Iíve witnessed being in the bar business for nearly 20 years Iím actually shocked people arenít on this site raving about what a great city this is to be a single man.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 PM

4,386 posts, read 2,652,132 times
How's the tech presence in SD?

Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 PM

4,868 posts, read 10,694,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How's the tech presence in SD?
SD has a much higher percentage of tech workers than Chicago. And then there's South Florida (Miami), which is dead last, as usual.

Full report here:
Cushman & Wakefield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or