Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 PM

307 posts, read 330,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
SD has a much higher percentage of tech workers than Chicago. And then there's South Florida (Miami), which is dead last, as usual.

Full report here:
Cushman & Wakefield

With all the older people down there that are working part time in retail and such to supplement their bank accounts I would actually think it would be more than only 1.5% behind NYC, Chicago and L.A. They also bring down the income stats and other numbers like those. Don't forget about all the Spanish and Creole speakers too. The combination of those two factors aren't found anywhere else in the U.S. like they are there. Many people forget about the unique situation that South Florida is in when looking at the many rankings that are posted on this forum.

Last edited by pinytr; 02-23-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 PM

57 posts, read 44,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
YES NOW YOUR TALKIN MY LANGUAGE! Alright so SD is out of the question. I'm assuming your in Chicago now? Dude, I'm not gonna lie I agree. Chicago is SUPER cheap compared to a lot of major cities. We could live in River north/ Lincoln park and live pretty damn nice.

I don't know about Miami my friend. Hopefully, If I do apply there for jobs I can get it but they're lookin pretty slim. LOTS of jobs in my field lookin for spanish speakers. It's a beautiful city though with GORGEOUS women. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE TRUVADA IF U GO!!!!

What do you feel about LA?
Would Truvada really help? To me it's strange to take for random hookups but better than having HIV lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungShakeAndBake View Post
Honestly, NYC seems like a dirty, cold expensive city. I never went but even with a salary north of 100k, it's peasant money in the face of that city. I feel like we'd be settling there instead of thriving.

I recently got back from NYC (instead of Miami) and I loved it. I'd personally need a new job and commute to an office (nightmare for me). I'm sure NYC would be the best for our careers due to opportunity, but literally everyone is broke. I'd recommend you move to NYC for the women and career. I'd move if you can land a good job. Unfortunately 100k in Miami is like 220k in Manhattan.

I'm still split on Chicago because it got -51F wind chill last month.... like I need some sun and that cold makes you depressed. It's legit perfect in the summer though.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Taco Soup.... you know better. They don’t call it Man Diego for nothing. I’m a gay guy so I don’t have any skin in the game, but I know the dating scene in SD sucks for straight males. I heard it time and again from my straight friends there and I’m absolutely positive it’s as true today as it was a few years ago when I lived there. Chicago is actually a much better city for guys. Less 49ers.

Now I will say, San Diego is a phenomenal city for a gay guy. I had a great dating life and I had my first long term relationship there. But... dudes.
I've looked up the stats and there's too many dudes. Especially since I'll be online dating, I'm just another dude there.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
SD has a much higher percentage of tech workers than Chicago. And then there's South Florida (Miami), which is dead last, as usual.

Full report here:
Cushman & Wakefield
I don't believe these stats because I've lived in Raleigh and Seattle. Seattle BLOWS Raleigh out in tech.
It'd go SF > Seattle > NYC for top 3. No debate. I have no idea how Raleigh is so high up.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM

504 posts, read 495,792 times
If you are dating, you do not want to be on the west coast:

Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
If you are dating, you do not want to be on the west coast:
Good grief. So according to your map, in Southern California there’s 100K more single men in a region of nearly 25 million. Yup, no chance here to have any luck dating. If you’re going on stats, or relying on online dating you aren’t gonna have much success wherever you go.

I’m not speaking to you personally, but those complaining (not just on these boards either) need to grow up and approach women in real life. If you have confidence, a sense of humor, and don’t creep them out the dating world is your oyster. Maybe things came easier to me in this regard because I’m personable, tall, stay in shape and tan from surfing, and my wife and relatives all say I’m good looking, lol, but I’ve seen many men with less physcial attributes do quite well in this department my whole adult life here. And no, it’s not just because they have money, athough that never hurts. But in the big picture it’s down the list a bit as many of my friends wives and girlfriends make much more than they do. It’s all about treating a woman the right way.

Get out there and be yourself, or work on yourself first if need be, that’s my best advice. Good luck to all of you hung up on these trivial numbers, and to the OP wherever he decides to go.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM

504 posts, read 495,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Good grief. So according to your map, in Southern California there’s 100K more single men in a region of nearly 25 million. Yup, no chance here to have any luck dating. If you’re going on stats, or relying on online dating you aren’t gonna have much success wherever you go.

I’m not speaking to you personally, but those complaining (not just on these boards either) need to grow up and approach women in real life. If you have confidence, a sense of humor, and don’t creep them out the dating world is your oyster. Maybe things came easier to me in this regard because I’m personable, tall, stay in shape and tan from surfing, and my wife and relatives all say I’m good looking, lol, but I’ve seen many men with less physcial attributes do quite well in this department my whole adult life here. And no, it’s not just because they have money, athough that never hurts. But in the big picture it’s down the list a bit as many of my friends wives and girlfriends make much more than they do. It’s all about treating a woman the right way.

Get out there and be yourself, or work on yourself first if need be, that’s my best advice. Good luck to all of you hung up on these trivial numbers, and to the OP wherever he decides to go.
San Diego has 100k more single men than single women. San Diego has a population of 1.4MM with 56% of these people married and about 20% of the city is underage. There are about 200k single women and 300k single men... not great odds!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:01 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I would go to the Tampa Bay area. Great beaches, tropical weather, lots to do, and affordable. Though it has a good number of retirees, there are a good number of younger people too. I love the area. Thought it was ironic and got a little chuckle that you're a body builder/health conscience/healthy foods, yet you want to "party"/"make up for lost time", lol. Good luck in your search wherever you end up.
Ok, I love Tampa and St. Pete. But two streets on Ybor City and DT St Pete don't make up for the 80 year olds who shouldn't be driving, nor their fashion choices.

Plus, I'd take San Diego/Gaslamp over Ybor City, it doesn't bleed into rough neighborhoods in two blocks. Plus, La Jolla and great beaches aren't far.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
With all the older people down there that are working part time in retail and such to supplement their bank accounts I would actually think it would be more than only 1.5% behind NYC, Chicago and L.A. They also bring down the income stats and other numbers like those. Don't forget about all the Spanish and Creole speakers too. The combination of those two factors aren't found anywhere else in the U.S. like they are there. Many people forget about the unique situation that South Florida is in when looking at the many rankings that are posted on this forum.
Even if you removed retired people from study, South Florida would still be ranked dead last. It's common knowledge that Miami has a service based economy which means low educational attainments, low median household incomes and a high poverty rate. People can spin it all they want but facts are facts.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:33 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
San Diego has 100k more single men than single women. San Diego has a population of 1.4MM with 56% of these people married and about 20% of the city is underage. There are about 200k single women and 300k single men... not great odds!
Yeah I guess I looked at the map you provided wrong, but it’s still irrelevant as San Diego is filled with beautiful single woman.

If you do want to use your stats they really don’t paint an accurate picture. I’m gonna contradict myself here a bit because my wife is 13 years younger than me, but the fact remains most people date within their age group. This is even more intensified the younger you are. That 100K number you’re throwing around, assuming it’s even true, is for all ages 18+. Go to Pacific Beach, Downtown, or any number of neighborhoods around the city/county where people go out and you’re not gonna see a disproportionate amount of men.

Actually I just thought of something when I mentioned the county. That map is for metros, but you’re using the city of San Diego’s population. That 100K should be spread over the adults of a metro of nearly 3.5 million.

Regardless, I stil stand by my statement that it’s a great city to be a single man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City