U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 PM

23 posts, read 4,074 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!! I'm trying to decide a more fitting city for me and I can't and it's eating me up. I'm currently living in the chicagoland suburbs and wondering if I should leave for greener pastures. Little about me:

-I'm a powerlifter/bodybuilder
-I really really really don't like the cold and I LOVEEE the heat (the hottest of the hot)
-I love the beach and would love to learn how to surf and do other active activities
-Based on my bodybuilding lifestyle, I usually will eat healthy foods, track my calories etc. so restaurants are usually only saved for special occasions (bday's, dates, holidays, etc.)
- Would LOVE to have a city with a pretty good nightlife (didn't get to party in college wanna make up for that )
-I'd be making 105k probably in both locations.
-I don't mind driving except for RIDICULOUSLY long commutes (goodbye LA)

Chicago Pros: Beautiful city, really nice affordable apartments, affordable in general, more amenities, one of the best in the nation's nightlife, more healthy restaurant options, really good public transit, lots of YPs.

Cons: We literally have the worst weather in the entire *(&$%^ U.S. I @#$ you not. It was literally 50 degrees like yesterday and now it's 30. I really really hate this weather and I'll be completely honest, It seems like a LOT of the activities in Chicago involve the following two: drinking and eating. That's all fine and dandy for the avg joe but for a health conscious person like me, I'd rather not live a life based around that as the prime source of entertainment. I'd prob have a few drinks a week tbh. I like active things not so much as "cultural" activities. I really could care less about operas, museums and art, etc. I'd rather ski than watch someone sing to me. Just me

San Diego pros: OCEAN , So many outdoor activities to do: ski, surf, waterski, paragliding, sail, atvs, etc. you name it, they got it. Laid back people (idk ab this being good), I'm guessing more attractive girls?, more people in shape (can relate more), best weather in the U.S.

Cons: Less amenities, from what I hear the nightlife here is decent at best. I'm pretty sure Wallethub has it at 19th best nightlife in the U.S. SO many people !@#$ on it, less places to explore

It breaks my heart to hear that San Diego nightlife sucks because other than that, I feel like it'd be an amazing city to be in and the perfect one for me. I really want to move to a warmer climate but at the same time I live right by one of the greatest cities in the world. I really just can't decide.

If anyone else has some interesting warmer "other" suggestion, feel free to mention it as well! (Don't even think about mentioning NYC, not a chance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,593,538 times
If you can afford San Diego I'd go with that. Can't beat the weather and who cares if the nightlife isn't Top 10 in some buzzfeed list? I'm sure it has plenty and anything it doesn't have, LA will.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you can afford San Diego I'd go with that. Can't beat the weather and who cares if the nightlife isn't Top 10 in some buzzfeed list? I'm sure it has plenty and anything it doesn't have, LA will.
Fair point my friend, fair point.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 AM

480 posts, read 200,623 times
Miami/Miami Beach ?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:30 AM

644 posts, read 305,146 times
San Diego is not really HOT, but is consistently warm or cool. It is really a city for those who want benign weather. Phoenix, Miami, Vegas, and Tampa seem to be a better fit. They are the warmth you are looking for. Their nightlife and fitness scene is also very good.

Chicago is very much not a good option for you as far as weather preferences. It doesn’t literally as you say have the worst weather in the U.S. (assuming you mean winter weather), since there are far colder, windier, and snowier locations. Regardless, it is cold enough for someone like you to be miserable.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,517,737 times
San Diego is cold by the standards we have here in Phoenix. If you truly love hot weather I think you may be disappointed, at least personally I need a jacket after the sun goes down year-round when we visit San Diego.

Have you thought about the Phoenix area? Scottsdale has pretty solid nightlife and there arenít too many hotter cities in the country, Miami May be warmer on a year round basis.

Thereís nearly non-stop outdoors activities here, eating and drinking is of course big but youíd have no problem finding a hiking group to do activities with every weekend.

Las Vegas obviously has a great nightlife and warm weather but as a healthy guy Iím assuming the constant indoor smoking everywhere would drive as nuts as it does me.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,219,894 times
I would go to the Tampa Bay area. Great beaches, tropical weather, lots to do, and affordable. Though it has a good number of retirees, there are a good number of younger people too. I love the area. Thought it was ironic and got a little chuckle that you're a body builder/health conscience/healthy foods, yet you want to "party"/"make up for lost time", lol. Good luck in your search wherever you end up.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Miami/Miami Beach ?
Spanish is basically a necessity when getting a job there. I work in the health field and they essentially demand it. No espanyol for me

Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
San Diego is not really HOT, but is consistently warm or cool. It is really a city for those who want benign weather. Phoenix, Miami, Vegas, and Tampa seem to be a better fit. They are the warmth you are looking for. Their nightlife and fitness scene is also very good.

Chicago is very much not a good option for you as far as weather preferences. It doesnít literally as you say have the worst weather in the U.S. (assuming you mean winter weather), since there are far colder, windier, and snowier locations. Regardless, it is cold enough for someone like you to be miserable.
lol I'd agree. It was an exaggeration but still it's pretty bad. I'll consider those towns, they just seem like they might be a little dull from what I heard. If the weather isn't extreme heat that's ok too.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
San Diego is cold by the standards we have here in Phoenix. If you truly love hot weather I think you may be disappointed, at least personally I need a jacket after the sun goes down year-round when we visit San Diego.

Have you thought about the Phoenix area? Scottsdale has pretty solid nightlife and there arenít too many hotter cities in the country, Miami May be warmer on a year round basis.

Thereís nearly non-stop outdoors activities here, eating and drinking is of course big but youíd have no problem finding a hiking group to do activities with every weekend.

Las Vegas obviously has a great nightlife and warm weather but as a healthy guy Iím assuming the constant indoor smoking everywhere would drive as nuts as it does me.
I heard good things ab scottsdale!! I'll consider it. That's really hot place with no surrounding water around it lol. I'm just wondering where those people cool off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or