U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:38 AM

66 posts, read 62,725 times

Advertisements

Obviously not a city comparison but a regional comparison, mainly:

I have this feeling of uneasiness about California life being so easy-going. The weather is perfect, the sun is out 300+ days a year, there's world-class skiing nearby, gorgeous beaches, beautiful people, great housing, amazing economies, progressive people changing the world, there's almost everything to love about California, except for some reason I don't appreciate it THAT much, like I do the east coast at times. Maybe because the sweet isn't as sweet without some bitter? And the east coast has bad weather, lots more a-holes, etc?

Does anyone else have this feeling? Like they just are coasting through life in California and it's just too simple and drama-free and... good?

Newport Beach is objectively better than Newport, Manhattan Beach better than the Jersey Shore, San Diego better than Baltimore... but yet I find myself missing the east coast. I bet I wouldn't if I grew up in CA though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 AM

14,039 posts, read 19,161,148 times
Yeah it's called preference lol.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 AM

266 posts, read 76,291 times
All those California and Northern beaches donít interest me because Iím not a polar bear and I donít feel like freezing in the water in July. A real beach allows me to prune up without wondering if my lips are turning purple.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 8,623,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
All those California and Northern beaches donít interest me because Iím not a polar bear and I donít feel like freezing in the water in July. A real beach allows me to prune up without wondering if my lips are turning purple.
That's because you are a wuss...

Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 AM

8,399 posts, read 8,623,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecostanza1472 View Post

I have this feeling of uneasiness about California life being so easy-going. The weather is perfect, the sun is out 300+ days a year, there's world-class skiing nearby, gorgeous beaches, beautiful people, great housing, amazing economies, progressive people changing the world, there's almost everything to love about California, except for some reason I don't appreciate it THAT much, like I do the east coast at times. Maybe because the sweet isn't as sweet without some bitter? And the east coast has bad weather, lots more a-holes, etc?

Does anyone else have this feeling? Like they just are coasting through life in California and it's just too simple and drama-free and... good?

Newport Beach is objectively better than Newport, Manhattan Beach better than the Jersey Shore, San Diego better than Baltimore... but yet I find myself missing the east coast. I bet I wouldn't if I grew up in CA though...

Im in San Diego and its awesome, virtually all the time, but yes Californians are soft.....its the weather.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM

947 posts, read 351,856 times
Sounds like youíre homesick to me, nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:16 PM

66 posts, read 62,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Sounds like youíre homesick to me, nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure if my whole family were out in Cali, and all my childhood friends, I would feel much more emotionally strongly about it.

I definitely am in love with California, and logically know its a wayyyy better place than anywhere on the east coast... but there's things I find lacking. Although going to places like Santa Barbara, and Carmel make me feel totally at home. Feels like east coast on the west coast. US-1 in norcal is the best place on earth, pretty much.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM

4,316 posts, read 7,326,263 times
There's definitely an "exotic" feel to California that you don't have on the East Coast, that much is for certain, and it seems like you're taken by that exoticness and invariably nice weather. It's also not uncommon for folks, particularly those used to more seasonal variety, to begin to find that mundane, however.

As others have gathered, CA seems to strike a positive chord with your personal preferences, and that's fantastic. But your feelings are still subjective. Even if CA feels objectively better to you, bear in mind that millions of people "back East" quite honestly want nothing to do with living on the West Coast, including the vast majority of those who have been plenty of times--I can assure you that.

In other words, quality of living/life is always going to be subjective for each location, because every single individual's experience is different (from my East Coast perspective, I love the experience of different scenery and interesting regional differences, but I personally find the West Coast to be way too economically-stratified, natural disaster prone, and obscenely overpriced to live in). Even the scenery, outside of some stunning features in very concentrated parts, to me is no where near as consistently pleasant as the East Coast (sorry folks, but green lushness, rolling hills, and thick forests are just very critical to me).

I'd also have to strongly disagree with your characterization of the town comparisons between both coasts. Obviously the East and West Coasts came of age during different eras, with different influences, so of course their architecture will be acutely contrasting. But, at least in my experience, cities and towns on the East Coast are just more "solid." They tend to put MUCH more thought and quality into things like building materials, the pedestrian experience, historic preservation, and a general organic/small business feel (i.e., much less chain/corporate-oriented). But I realize those are things that I personally value--not everyone cares about even any of those things.

But overall, no, you also shouldn't feel bad for having mixed feelings about living in CA. To each their own.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-09-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM

668 posts, read 274,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

I'd also have to strongly disagree with your characterization of the town comparisons between both coasts. Obviously the East and West Coasts came of age during different eras, with different influences, so of course their architecture will be acutely contrasting. But, at least in my experience, cities and towns on the East Coast are just more "solid." They tend to put MUCH more thought and quality into things like building materials, the pedestrian experience, historic preservation, and a general organic/small business feel (i.e., much less chain/corporate-oriented). But I realize those are things that I personally value--not everyone cares about even any of those things.

But overall, no, you also shouldn't feel bad for having mixed feelings about living in CA. To each their own.
Not sure where you’re getting the idea that major West Coast cities have more chains and fewer small businesses. San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Oakland, even the “city parts” of LA and San Diego, are dominated by small businesses with very few chains. I also find that people in West Coast cities tend to be less straight-laced and sports-oriented and more counter-culture, which adds an artistic/individualistic/intellectual element to mainstream culture in many West Coast cities that is a bit more under the surface in most major East coast cities. I do like that people on the East Coast are more direct and less pretentious, and they seem to be less self-conscious about letting loose and partying.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 AM

22,123 posts, read 31,380,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecostanza1472 View Post

nothing wrong with missing home wherever that may be. As they say home is where the heart is.

On coastal CA and the NE; they are my two favorite places in the country and offer enough differences to make both very interesting to me

there is nothing wrong with preferring one or the other or any other place for that matter; nor missing any place for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City