Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Markham, Ontario or Irvine, California?
Markham 8 34.78%
Irvine 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
OP, I think Houston would be good for you. Big Asian presence. Cheap. Check out Sugar Land.
Everyone thinks I am making this thread only to bash Markham. I am not.

Many other similar city to city threads between different suburbs have gotten far more replies. Markham vs. Irvine is no different.

Markham has much better Chinese food than Irvine, for one. And arguably better public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Everyone thinks I am making this thread only to bash Markham. I am not.

Many other similar city to city threads between different suburbs have gotten far more replies. Markham vs. Irvine is no different.

Markham has much better Chinese food than Irvine, for one. And arguably better public transit.
Not at all. I think most of us know you as a self loathing Californian. I'm making a friendly suggestion that Houston may be for you. It has everything benefit you would get from OC, weather being the exception.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Looking at Google Maps, Richmond Hill and Markham look like very well-planned, upscale areas indeed. And they seem to be quite dense and compact for a suburb. However, I really don't see that much high-density development in Richmond Hill, hardly any high-rise apartments at all. Irvine does actually have a few high-rise apartments, and more high-rise office buildings (up to 21 stories). Also, Richmond Hill has a population density of around 5,000/sq mile, whereas Irvine has a population density of around 4,000, BUT when Irvine is fully built out the population density will be around 5,000, AND 40% of Irvine's area will be permanently preserved as wilderness and parks, so the actual population density of Irvine's built-up area is actually more like 8000-9000 sq. mile. It seems like Richmond Hill is already mostly built-up, with far less preserved open space, and therefore won't get any denser than it is right now. Unless Richmond Hill is another version of Richmond or Burnaby, near Vancouver, I don't see how it's denser than Irvine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but going off of Google Maps I see that even the single family homes in Irvine are far more closely packed on smaller lots than they are in Richmond Hill/Markham.

Of course Markham and Richmond Hill beat Irvine when it comes to the Chinese presence--Irvine has only a 17% Chinese population, while Markham hovers at around 40%. I am always wowed at how clean heavily Chinese areas in Canada are compared to, say, the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles, which is rather run down. (And I'm Chinese myself--not being racist here!)
I did only see a small part, so maybe it's more suburban further out.

Here's the area I was in if you're interested.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8408...7i16384!8i8192

Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I did only see a small part, so maybe it's more suburban further out.

Here's the area I was in if you're interested.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8408...7i16384!8i8192
Just looking at Google Maps, that's definitely the densest part of Richmond Hill. 95% of Richmond Hill looks like single family homes and townhomes. And Irvine has areas with even more high rises.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
I am always wowed at how clean heavily Chinese areas in Canada are compared to, say, the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles, which is rather run down. (And I'm Chinese myself--not being racist here!)
There is nothing "run down" about most of Pasadena, San Gabriel, or any of Sierra Madre, San Marino, or Arcadia. I don't know what San Gabriel Valley you have been to, but it certainly is not the one that I have experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City