U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 PM

14,065 posts, read 22,305,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
They both seem similar to me. Houston's population may be a bit more established perhaps.
This. This is a good point. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe this comparison would come down to Tejanos(Houston) vs Mexican Immigrants(Dallas).

That's my impression of both towns.

South Texas in general has the longer more established Hispanic community. The bulk of Tejanos seem to come from Corpus, Laredo, Brownsville, McAllen, Del Valle, Galveston, San Antonio, Houston, even Austin. North Texas seems to have more recent arrivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM

844 posts, read 227,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This. This is a good point. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe this comparison would come down to Tejanos(Houston) vs Mexican Immigrants(Dallas).

South Texas in general has the longer more established Hispanic community. The bulk of Tejanos seem to come from Corpus, Laredo, Brownsville, McAllen, Del Valle, Galveston, San Antonio, Houston, even Austin. North Texas seems to have more recent arrivals.
Houston is filled with Mexican immigrants though

Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM

18,343 posts, read 26,398,671 times
Quote:

Houston I believe has slightly more Mexican immigrants. But Houston also has a more diverse Hispanic population. Hard to say which is more settled though.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM

46 posts, read 5,978 times
The problem with the term Hispanic is that it's not a one size fits all.

When we nominate Texas because it has a lot of Mexicans, are we assuming Hispanic means Mexican? what about the many other Hispanic cultures that are NOT Mexican? Cuban, South American cultures etc.

I would say it depends on the área.

NEW ORLEANS feels like Colombia, Brazil, Cuba. (with its exotic mixed race cultures, greenery, african and European influence, belief in magic, fun music)

MIAMI feels like panamá (with its shopping malls, and its beaches, golf courses etc)

TEXAS AND THE SOUTH WEST feel like Mexico, (Spicy food, tons of Mexican influence, desert etc)

I find no región in the US feels like the southern cone of South America (argentina, Chile, uruguay, paraguay), perhaps the northeast with its colder weather, and tons of european immigrants.

Also no región in the Us feels like the Andean región of South America (llamas, macchu picchu, incans, mountains).

See? The assumption that Hispanic means Mexican its wrong. So saying El Paso because of the Mexican influence, it's like saying that British Columbia in Canada is the most American place in Canada because the pacific northwestern influence is next door. (As if all of America was the pacific northwest)

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

3,506 posts, read 8,633,860 times
I'd say Houston.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

736 posts, read 226,905 times
Ironically enough Dallas is more Mexican than Houston. Houston is more overall Hispanic and the Hispanic population is more diverse. Below are some numbers on metro area. Im only doing the major groups that exist in at least one of the two:

Born in Latin America:
Houston: 1,027,683
DFW: 793,206

Born in Mexico:
DFW: 614,376
Houston: 611,911

Born in El Salvador:
Houston: 129,311
DFW: 63,131

Born in Honduras:
Houston: 70,488
DFW: 26,865

Born in Guatemala:
Houston: 46,868
DFW: 17,824

Born in Cuba:
Houston: 35,222
DFW: 10,692

Born in Venezuela:
Houston: 32,500
DFW: 4,681

Born in Colombia:
Houston: 26,446
DFW: 10,427

Puerto Rican:
DFW: 52,357
Houston: 38,515

Total Hispanic Population regardless of place of birth:
Houston: 2,569,756 - 37.3% of total population
DFW: 2,136,050 - 28.9% of population

Given the numbers above it would be hard to imagine how Houston doesnt have more Hispanic influence, but DFW Hispanic influence in DFW is still quite significant.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,533,651 times
Hispanics are currently a plurality of the Houston metro but because their more middle class lower middle class population, they are still a minority influence wise in the metro compared to White Americans.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

14,065 posts, read 22,305,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Houston is filled with Mexican immigrants though
I didn't say it wasn't filled with Mexican immigrants. I figured Houston would probably have a higher population of Tejanos among the Hispanic population than Dallas would.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

736 posts, read 226,905 times
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't filled with Mexican immigrants. I figured Houston would probably have a higher population of Tejanos among the Hispanic population than Dallas would.
As a city, you are correct. The city of Dallas is 18% foreign born Mexicans and the city of Houston is between 11 and 12%. Houston just has a lot more foreign born other Hispanics.

As a Metro Area, you are also correct. DFW (and Chicago) both have more Mexican immigrants despite having fewer total Mexicans than Houston.

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

18,343 posts, read 26,398,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
As a city, you are correct. The city of Dallas is 18% foreign born Mexicans and the city of Houston is between 11 and 12%. Houston just has a lot more foreign born other Hispanics.

As a Metro Area, you are also correct. DFW (and Chicago) both have more Mexican immigrants despite having fewer total Mexicans than Houston.
Is this recent? Because for a while, Houston received more Mexican immigrants, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or