U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 11 35.48%
South Carolina 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
778 posts, read 832,720 times
Reputation: 727

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTitan View Post
Voted South Carolina because of Charleston, TONS of attractive people.
While I completely agree that Charleston has plenty of attractive people, I'm not so sure they're all from there. I'm attractive and while I was there I often wondered where all these folks were from. I'm sure I great deal of them are from SC but not all from Charleston. That aside, have you ever been to Athens? Have you ever been to South Georgia? Sure Athens is a college town so it should be full of eye candy but South Georgia (e.g. Thomasville, Moultrie, Valdosta, Tifton) is FULL of beautiful people, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more beautiful region with beautiful people. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,043,341 times
Reputation: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Show me where I said that GA has no good universities or opera houses outside of the Atlanta MSA. That's a deliberately disingenuous statement on your part because I said no such thing.
Spoiler
OMG! It was not meant to quote JUST you.True you did not say that exactly.You did say however that it had less in quality.I was not trying to put words in your mouth.I apologize for the misquote.



And excluding metro Atlanta IS an apples-to-apples comparison with SC because that way, you get two jurisdictions with roughly the same amount of population, GDP, etc.
Spoiler
I disagree.I gave you my reason why ,multiple times.



This has been answered for you time and time again on here, but please let this be the last time I have to address this. SC's cities are smaller on average because the state has very restrictive annexation laws:
Yet South Carolina has some of the most difficult annexation laws in the country. Under the state’s laws, there are only three ways for residents to come into a city:

• An individual can petition for annexation if the land touches a city boundary
• 75 percent of landowners in an area with 75 percent of assessed value can petition the city council to annex
• 25 percent of the electors in a designated area can petition for council to hold a special election. If council approves the request 50 percent plus one of the electors living in the designated area must approve the annexation.
Spoiler
YOU keep bringing this up!!Its irrelevant to my stance.I did not ask you WHY.Giving me this info is nothing new.I made a statement and you wanna give me explanations that still have nothing to do with anything!!


It is an issue that affects some 50 to 60 percent of municipalities across the state. Many cities have enclaves, or "doughnut holes," that occur when a piece of property in an unincorporated part of the county is completely surrounded by property located within a municipality. The enclave looks similar to a doughnut hole on a map.


https://www.masc.sc/newsroom/uptown/...gislation.aspx
If you look at urbanized area populations, it will clearly demonstrate that the REAL size of the cities go far beyond what their restrictive municipal boundaries indicate.



Yep, and in many cases, the cities consolidated with their counties to achieve such populations (e.g., Augusta, Columbus, Athens). This is next to impossible to do in SC.
Again so what!Maybe thats just a bad thing that needs to chane in S.C.If GA does it,why should they be penalized in this forum?
All im hearing is excuses for S.C. and dismissal for explanations for things in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
 
Location: I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta
1,312 posts, read 1,451,265 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
And let Columbia, consolidate with Richland County and have a population of 400k......Augusta is not even on the same league. Outside of the Atlanta metro South Carolina even has larger counties with more people. Again, outside of the Atlanta Metro area.....
As a man who was born and raised in Augusta, I am here to tell you that Columbia is not that much higher on the pole than Augusta. What does Columbia have that Augusta does not, a mighty fine zoo, I will give you. A larger Division 1 school compared to Georgia Regents, the title of state capital, 3 interstates and a spur into downtown while Augusta has 1 and a bypass. They both have army bases, Fort Gordon vs Fort Jackson. Both have a river, what else is their to compare. Richland and Lexington Counties each are larger in size than the combined Richmond and Columbia counties of Augusta. Are we really comparing this. What is so special about Columbia compared to Augusta. I love Columbia like anyone else that has visited it but the city really is not all that higher than Augusta or even Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,230 posts, read 12,102,739 times
Reputation: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
And let Columbia, consolidate with Richland County and have a population of 400k......Augusta is not even on the same league. Outside of the Atlanta metro South Carolina even has larger counties with more people. Again, outside of the Atlanta Metro area.....
How so? They CVB of Columbia must think so if they decided to target the metro Augusta population.. There's a large billboard with the quote 'Famously Hot' with the Columbia skyline in the background along I-20...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
 
Location: AtlantAugustAthenSavannah
31 posts, read 32,381 times
Reputation: 15
Augusta > Columbia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 AM
 
28,609 posts, read 25,848,356 times
Reputation: 17169
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
OMG! It was not meant to quote JUST you.True you did not say that exactly.You did say however that it had less in quality.I was not trying to put words in your mouth.I apologize for the misquote.
Apology accepted.

Quote:
I disagree.I gave you my reason why ,multiple times.
About towns in the Atlanta metro supposedly having their own amenities that have nothing to do with their inclusion in the MSA or proximity to Atlanta, and thus these towns should be included in the discussion?

Quote:
YOU keep bringing this up!!Its irrelevant to my stance.I did not ask you WHY.Giving me this info is nothing new.I made a statement and you wanna give me explanations that still have nothing to do with anything!!
Ummmm, I'm scratching my head a bit on this. Of course it's relevant; an explanation as to why GA's counties are, on average, smaller than SC's is also relevant and falls into the same category. That's why I'm not using counties as a basis of comparison here--it's not apples-to-apples. MSA's, however, have the same standard in use regardless of jurisdiction so that's why it's the most common basis of comparison of places. But I'm sure you know that.

Quote:
Again so what!Maybe thats just a bad thing that needs to chane in S.C.If GA does it,why should they be penalized in this forum?
No one is "penalizing" GA for having larger municipalities. However, it's pretty much the least relevant metric of comparison.

Quote:
All im hearing is excuses for S.C. and dismissal for explanations for things in GA.
"Excuses for SC"? Let's be clear here: the only reason why you're so hung up on municipal population and NOTHING ELSE is because you know that's pretty much the only category that the second-tier cities win in comparison with SC. When it comes to other metrics of comparison which have a uniform standard applied to them across jurisdictional boundaries and thus make for apples-to-apples comparisons--MSA, CSA, urbanized area, GDP, etc.--SC's cities come out ahead. So just stop with the whole victim act.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-09-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
 
28,609 posts, read 25,848,356 times
Reputation: 17169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
As a man who was born and raised in Augusta, I am here to tell you that Columbia is not that much higher on the pole than Augusta. What does Columbia have that Augusta does not, a mighty fine zoo, I will give you. A larger Division 1 school compared to Georgia Regents, the title of state capital, 3 interstates and a spur into downtown while Augusta has 1 and a bypass. They both have army bases, Fort Gordon vs Fort Jackson. Both have a river, what else is their to compare. Richland and Lexington Counties each are larger in size than the combined Richmond and Columbia counties of Augusta. Are we really comparing this. What is so special about Columbia compared to Augusta. I love Columbia like anyone else that has visited it but the city really is not all that higher than Augusta or even Columbus.
While there are several other things Columbia has over Augusta--three rivers (not just one), a lake, three urban entertainment districts, a much larger and newer arena, more concerts, a busier airport, SEC sports, more museums, more theaters, a convention center (Augusta's getting one now but Columbia has had one for a couple of years now), etc.--I do agree that they are in the same tier, as I generally consider metros from ~500K-~1M more or less in the same tier. Columbia just occupies a higher slot within it. But I think you're stretching it with the mention of Columbus; let's not muddy the waters any more than necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
How so? They CVB of Columbia must think so if they decided to target the metro Augusta population.. There's a large billboard with the quote 'Famously Hot' with the Columbia skyline in the background along I-20...
That has nothing to do with whether the two cities are in the same tier or not. The Columbia CVB has also targeted metro Charlotte and clearly they aren't in the same tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 25,661,259 times
Reputation: 14519
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
While I completely agree that Charleston has plenty of attractive people, I'm not so sure they're all from there. I'm attractive and while I was there I often wondered where all these folks were from. I'm sure I great deal of them are from SC but not all from Charleston. That aside, have you ever been to Athens? Have you ever been to South Georgia? Sure Athens is a college town so it should be full of eye candy but South Georgia (e.g. Thomasville, Moultrie, Valdosta, Tifton) is FULL of beautiful people, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more beautiful region with beautiful people. IMO
just one example: charleston is like mecca for white UMC mississippians. it's almost as if you're required as an Ole Miss greek to spend at least 1 summer living in Charleston and spending your parents money.

you see a similar effect in Atlanta, Raleigh, and Charlotte. It's an aspirational thing for upper-middle class white southerners to be associated with Charleston, and the south has some insanely hot upper middle class white girls. It's not the only place like this, of course, but it's one of the major ones in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
778 posts, read 832,720 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
just one example: charleston is like mecca for white UMC mississippians. it's almost as if you're required as an Ole Miss greek to spend at least 1 summer living in Charleston and spending your parents money.

you see a similar effect in Atlanta, Raleigh, and Charlotte. It's an aspirational thing for upper-middle class white southerners to be associated with Charleston, and the south has some insanely hot upper middle class white girls. It's not the only place like this, of course, but it's one of the major ones in the south.
The Southeast is a genetic powerhouse. If you've never been, I highly suggest you spend a weekend in Tallahassee (especially on FSU gameday weekend) and then come back on this board and holla at me.

>>> <<< Outsiders

>>> <<< Natives


What I saw on Sea Island last year. ... and I'm not talking about the Mansions and Rolls Royces either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC, USA (mostly)
5,415 posts, read 13,458,128 times
Reputation: 2441
If South Carolina's three most populated counties had consolidated with their respective cities, then they would look more impressive on paper today.

Greenville = 461,299
Columbia-Richland = 389,116
Charleston = 357,704

As this is not the case, it is necessary to find a universal metric to fairly compare the cities being discussed. This is where MSA data is more effective, although not necessarily a completely accurate representation. (see Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, South Carolina) Another useful metric for comparison of multiple cities is Urban Area data, which can reveal discrepancies in actual city population and MSA data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top