U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 16 31.37%
South Carolina 35 68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,235 posts, read 12,109,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I don't know how this is a serious competition. 3 major metros vs. Savannah? Augusta isn't serious competition to any of the others. I'm sure Savannah is great and my friends tell me such, but so is Charleston. You have the state capital and USC in Columbia and a pretty city at Greenville. Definitely SC.
Then how did Augusta get IMAX, Apple, Costco before Columbia a major metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM

30 posts, read 10,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Even without Atlanta metro still Georgia for me because Savannah > Charleston, the North GA Mountains > whatever mountains SC has, and Augusta, Macon, and Athens > Columbia, Greenville, etc.
Nice opinion. Do you have any specific reasonings, just curious. Iím very convincble and reasonable lol.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:48 PM

486 posts, read 351,456 times
I think people got it right. If I would move to one of the two then ATL is obviously the big attraction. If you take that away, then the three metros of SC vs. Savannah, I think SC has it down. I don't think that Augusta or any other metro in SC really stands a chance. Besides, the SC beaches seem better.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

1,290 posts, read 616,177 times
While Augusta is centered in Georgia, a sizable part of the metro area extends into South Carolina, including the satellite city of Aiken. So it's a bit problematic to allocate Augusta's offerings to only one of the states.

Otherwise, South Carolina tends to have more of a coastal and Georgia more of a mountains advantage. Georgia is a much larger state geographically and the breadth of different communities (even excluding metro Atlanta) seems a bit wider than in South Carolina. Parts of southern Georgia below the "black belt" that stretches across the middle of the state do not really have an equivalent in South Carolina, for instance. Such areas are more like rural north Florida.

I would also say that Athens, as a small metropolitan center dominated by a major state university, does not really have a match in South Carolina. Columbia is a much larger city that also has the state capital as a key part of its identity, while Clemson has a great school in a picturesque setting but feels pretty much like center-less exurbia - while Athens is very culturally vibrant with a lively downtown.

None of my ramblings are meant to diminish either state as I love both Georgia and South Carolina very much but the contrasts are interesting.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM

28,640 posts, read 25,888,634 times
Quote:
Even without Atlanta metro still Georgia for me because Savannah > Charleston, the North GA Mountains > whatever mountains SC has, and Augusta, Macon, and Athens > Columbia, Greenville, etc.
That's...interesting.

What about beaches?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM

3,991 posts, read 5,822,286 times
Columbus has a vibe similar to Greenville, just on a smaller scale. Columbus has modeled its downtown area after Greenville.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 AM

3,506 posts, read 8,635,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacO803 View Post
Nice opinion. Do you have any specific reasonings, just curious. I’m very convincble and reasonable lol.
I went to Charleston a few years ago and wasn't very impressed. I always love going to Savannah and Tybee Island. SC may win with beaches because of a longer coastline, but I'm not much of a beach goer anyways. I know South Carolina has some mountains but they are lower than the the ones in Georgia, and I don't think SC has towns comparable to Helen, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, etc.

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2019 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 AM

30 posts, read 10,599 times
Quote:
I went to Charleston a few years ago and wasn't very impressed. I always love going to Savannah and Tybee Island. SC may win with beaches because of a longer coastline, but I'm not much of a beach goer anyways. I know South Carolina has some mountains but they are lower than the the ones in Georgia, and I don't think SC has towns comparable to Helen, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! Personally its Charleston>Savannah for me, but not by much. Its hard to experience all Charleston has to offer in just one visit. I do love the more laid back atmosphere and nightlife of Savannah, I just find myself doing the same things over again. I feel like Charleston offers everything Savannah does and more(more beaches options, more dining options, more shopping options, more amenities).

I will give GA>SC mountains, however SC is very accessible to NC mountains to include Mt. Mitchell(the tallest on the east coast). SC also has a shorter Mountain to beach distance (3.5-4hrs). I looked up travel times in GA from mountain towns to the closest beach and found none shorter than 5hrs. I live in Columbia, in the center of the state, and can be at the beach or mountains in 2-2.5hrs.

Lastly, Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia > Columbus, Macon, Augusta lol.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:11 AM

54,436 posts, read 77,890,145 times
Quote:
In SC, small towns near the Blue Ridge Mountains would be similar.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM

28,640 posts, read 25,888,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus has a vibe similar to Greenville, just on a smaller scale. Columbus has modeled its downtown area after Greenville.
Lol, how so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or