U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 16 31.37%
South Carolina 35 68.63%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Soda City
361 posts, read 140,103 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta has Chipotle.
Yes, point being they got it what? A couple years ago? I was saying Cola had them first. And even then the CSRA cannot keep anything. The one in Aiken is closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM
 
305 posts, read 307,158 times
Reputation: 338
Just a couple of thoughts. First, as others have alluded to, SC to Alabama is a much better comparison, as it's really hard to picture GA without Atlanta. If GA didn't have Atlanta the rest of GA would be very different than it is. However I get that we're trying to imagine the rest of GA as it is today.

Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily deduct Altanta from the equation, unless (like many on here) you think that being a bigger city automatically makes it better, and in this case the state as a whole. I would argue that many people don't think the "Rest of GA" + Atl is automatically better than just the "Rest of GA"; in fact, many may argue just the opposite. Personally, I do not care for big cities, so if I were living in GA I would be somewhere else, and would probably feel frustrated that Atlanta got all the press and it might very well be limiting what my city is capable of. In that regard, I might think Altanta actually takes away from the rest of GA. Therefore, to me, subtracting ATL actually makes the rest of GA more appealing, not less.

So in my mind it's "the more appealing rest of GA" vs all of SC. I think that would be a pretty difficult comparison, and would really just come to down to personal preferences. GA does indeed have much more mtn territory, which would be a plus for me, and some very scenic mtn towns that SC just does not have (Mtn Rest and Longcreek are crossroads and don't compare to GA mtn towns). SC has more beaches and a longer coastline. Climate is a wash.

Some posters are actually making city vs city comparisons to decide the rest; Greenville vs Columbus, Cola vs Augusta, and Charleston vs Savannah. Intuitively that makes sense, but again it comes down to personal preference unless you're employing the "bigger is better" argument, in which case, SC would win all of those based on MSA and CSA populaton numbers. City numbers are useless here because of SC annexation laws.

Best example; Columbus vs Greenville. By the US Census 2017 estimates, Columbus had a pop of 194,058. Greenville's was 68,219. So what's the problem? Well, Columbus's city limits encompass 221 sq miles; Greenville's is 28! There is no way to draw any conclusions about a city size by comparing areas of 28 and 221 sq miles. MSA must be used here to give any reality to the comparison. Columbus; 303,811, Greenville; 895,923; almost 3 times larger. If you want to get an even better feel for the region the cities are in, you can use CSA. For Columbus, 499,128; for Greenville, 1,459,766; again 3 times larger. While this is a more extreme example, the MSA and CSA numbers for Cola and Charleston are also larger than Augusta or Savannah (though Charleston and Savannah may actually be the same CSA?). Again, I don't think that makes them automatically better, but that is what some seem to be saying.

Additionally, on the Columbus/Greenville comparison (and I admit I have never been to Columbus), pictures of downtown Columbus look beautiful, but much smaller than Greenville's downtown. Based on pictures and population numbers, I would pair Columbus more with Spartanburg. Then one would need to assess other cities and towns; Macon, Athens, Valsosta, etc vs Myrtle Beach, Anderson, Florence, Beaufort, etc. Again, it all boils down to personal preference.

In the end I would prefer SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 05:08 PM
 
28,640 posts, read 25,888,634 times
Reputation: 17184
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
While this is a more extreme example, the MSA and CSA numbers for Cola and Charleston are also larger than Augusta or Savannah (though Charleston and Savannah may actually be the same CSA?).
Charleston does not have a CSA and Savannah's CSA does not extend into SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,684 posts, read 6,291,658 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Just a couple of thoughts. First, as others have alluded to, SC to Alabama is a much better comparison, as it's really hard to picture GA without Atlanta. If GA didn't have Atlanta the rest of GA would be very different than it is. However I get that we're trying to imagine the rest of GA as it is today.

Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily deduct Altanta from the equation, unless (like many on here) you think that being a bigger city automatically makes it better, and in this case the state as a whole. I would argue that many people don't think the "Rest of GA" + Atl is automatically better than just the "Rest of GA"; in fact, many may argue just the opposite. Personally, I do not care for big cities, so if I were living in GA I would be somewhere else, and would probably feel frustrated that Atlanta got all the press and it might very well be limiting what my city is capable of. In that regard, I might think Altanta actually takes away from the rest of GA. Therefore, to me, subtracting ATL actually makes the rest of GA more appealing, not less.

So in my mind it's "the more appealing rest of GA" vs all of SC. I think that would be a pretty difficult comparison, and would really just come to down to personal preferences. GA does indeed have much more mtn territory, which would be a plus for me, and some very scenic mtn towns that SC just does not have (Mtn Rest and Longcreek are crossroads and don't compare to GA mtn towns). SC has more beaches and a longer coastline. Climate is a wash.

Some posters are actually making city vs city comparisons to decide the rest; Greenville vs Columbus, Cola vs Augusta, and Charleston vs Savannah. Intuitively that makes sense, but again it comes down to personal preference unless you're employing the "bigger is better" argument, in which case, SC would win all of those based on MSA and CSA populaton numbers. City numbers are useless here because of SC annexation laws.

Best example; Columbus vs Greenville. By the US Census 2017 estimates, Columbus had a pop of 194,058. Greenville's was 68,219. So what's the problem? Well, Columbus's city limits encompass 221 sq miles; Greenville's is 28! There is no way to draw any conclusions about a city size by comparing areas of 28 and 221 sq miles. MSA must be used here to give any reality to the comparison. Columbus; 303,811, Greenville; 895,923; almost 3 times larger. If you want to get an even better feel for the region the cities are in, you can use CSA. For Columbus, 499,128; for Greenville, 1,459,766; again 3 times larger. While this is a more extreme example, the MSA and CSA numbers for Cola and Charleston are also larger than Augusta or Savannah (though Charleston and Savannah may actually be the same CSA?). Again, I don't think that makes them automatically better, but that is what some seem to be saying.

In the end I would prefer SC.
I think your info maybe a little out of date.
Columbus MSA is over 810,000 and the CSA is over 937,000 acording to 2015 population statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 PM
 
305 posts, read 307,158 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think your info maybe a little out of date.
Columbus MSA is over 810,000 and the CSA is over 937,000 acording to 2015 population statistics.
Well I got the MSA numbers from the 2017 US Census estimates, which is also quoted on the wikipedia page for Columbus. The wikipedia page also quotes the CSA as I indicated; just noticed the census bureau has it at 501k (2013 estimate)I dunno, that's just where I looked. But like I said, I'm not familiar with Columbus, just going on what I found online.

Here's the wikipedia page, but it matches with the census bureau numbers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM
 
28,640 posts, read 25,888,634 times
Reputation: 17184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think your info maybe a little out of date.
Columbus MSA is over 810,000 and the CSA is over 937,000 acording to 2015 population statistics.
You're confusing Columbus, GA with Columbia, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,684 posts, read 6,291,658 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're confusing Columbus, GA with Columbia, SC.
Columbus Ga's metro isn't even larger than Augusta's which is over 500,000. Columbia ,SC's MSA is approaching 900,000.

I meant Columbia my bad not Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
6,562 posts, read 3,512,651 times
Reputation: 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
.

I would also say that Athens, as a small metropolitan center dominated by a major state university, does not really have a match in South Carolina. Columbia is a much larger city that also has the state capital as a key part of its identity, while Clemson has a great school in a picturesque setting but feels pretty much like center-less exurbia - while Athens is very culturally vibrant with a lively downtown.

.
Clemson doesn't seem like an exurb at all. It is its own place. The center of Clemson is right next to campus, College Avenue.

It has the same kind of things Athens does downtown, restaurants, bars, clothing stores, apartments, etc. I don't see how Athens is more culturally vibrant than Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
6,562 posts, read 3,512,651 times
Reputation: 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
So in my mind it's "the more appealing rest of GA" vs all of SC. I think that would be a pretty difficult comparison, and would really just come to down to personal preferences. GA does indeed have much more mtn territory, which would be a plus for me, and some very scenic mtn towns that SC just does not have (Mtn Rest and Longcreek are crossroads and don't compare to GA mtn towns). SC has more beaches and a longer coastline. Climate is a wash.

Some posters are actually making city vs city comparisons to decide the rest; Greenville vs Columbus, Cola vs Augusta, and Charleston vs Savannah. Intuitively that makes sense, but again it comes down to personal preference unless you're employing the "bigger is better" argument, in which case, SC would win all of those based on MSA and CSA populaton numbers. City numbers are useless here because of SC annexation laws.


Additionally, on the Columbus/Greenville comparison (and I admit I have never been to Columbus), pictures of downtown Columbus look beautiful, but much smaller than Greenville's downtown. Based on pictures and population numbers, I would pair Columbus more with Spartanburg. Then one would need to assess other cities and towns; Macon, Athens, Valsosta, etc vs Myrtle Beach, Anderson, Florence, Beaufort, etc. Again, it all boils down to personal preference.

In the end I would prefer SC.
A city not near the Blue Ridge is not like Greenville. I don't understand the comparison of Columbus specifically to Greenville. Columbus is more like Columbia than Greenville, on a big river.

I think SC has the mountain thing covered with Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Jones Gap, numerous waterfalls, Chattooga River, Lakes Jocassee and Keowee, etc. If you live in Greenville and Upstate, you are also close to the NC mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:21 PM
 
28,640 posts, read 25,888,634 times
Reputation: 17184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
A city not near the Blue Ridge is not like Greenville. I don't understand the comparison of Columbus specifically to Greenville. Columbus is more like Columbia than Greenville, on a big river.
I'd have to agree. Both Columbus and Columbia are fall line cities, have a military presence, and their downtowns have extensive grid systems and are on large rivers with rapids. Greenville has a distinctly different flavor compared to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top