Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 17 29.31%
South Carolina 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gainesville is somewhat semi-independent, as it's in the CSA and is somewhat removed. Decatur and Marietta might have had development independent of Atlanta at some point in history, but that's faaaarrrrr from the case today. There's no question that they are intricately connected to Atlanta.

Oh come on dude, you know good and well that metro population is what's used in ALL cases to compare places all across the country because it's the only metric that's consistent across state lines, along with urbanized area populations. And anyone who's ever even been to SC's largest metros know that Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are all a good bit larger than Augusta, Savannah, and Columbus and it's noticeable.
I know that but how often do you do a comparison leaving out one major city that has outgrown over time smaller cities with distinct histories and idenities into an MSA as large of an area that Atlanta has.Even in LA its like constant development all over where you just dont know where LA starts and ends.

You could have easily done a Google search to confirm this yourself, but yes, Myrtle Beach pulls in 14 million+ visitors annually:
I did but obviously I looked up the wrong stats.
"With 14 million visitors to the Myrtle Beach area annually..."
SC Meeting Space and Oceanfront Meeting Destination - Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau

"Each year, nearly 15 million tourists visit the Myrtle Beach area..."
Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce - Grand Strand Myrtle Beach SC Visitor and Business Information

"From its humble beginnings, the Grand Strand has evolved into one of the top vacation destinations on the East Coast – drawing approximately 15.2 million visitors annually..."
Westgate Resorts Destinations – Myrtle Beach, SC

GA does a decent job with marketing the coast, but it doesn't come close to SC. If you want, you can start a poll asking which is more popular, coastal SC or coastal GA; I can already tell you coastal SC will certainly win. Oh, and Myrtle Beach has its own airport as well; both Charleston's and Myrtle Beach's airports are busier than Savannah's. In FY 2011, Savannah had 785K enplanements, a 1.62% decrease from 2010. Myrtle Beach had 848K enplanements, which was up 8.37% from 2010 and Charleston had 1.25M enplanements, up 23.09% from 2010 (source).

I never said it did not.I agree.As far as airports are concerned Charleston and M.Beach should do better especially if you leave out the affect that Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson is left out of the equation.-
Savannah Hilton Head:
Quote:
nearly 40 percent of the airport's total passenger traffic is bound for Hilton Head Island, South Carolina,
By the way 12.5 million people visited Savannah last year.A record year.Charleston had only 5 million. So even if M.B. did have 14 million it is not a inaccurate to say GA coast doesnt come close.Or do you wish to take Savannah out of GA also?
Charleston Hotels, Real Estate, Restaurants, Vacation, Tourist Info, Attractions
That's definitely in GA's favor; no contest there.

Well I was talking about the coast in particular. Statewide, the number of nationally-ranked courses is about even for both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM

31 posts, read 39,481 times
Georgia > Sc.
End of Conversation!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
SIGH ...

Georgia has better roads. Georgia has better schools (k-12 and university level). Georgia has less volatile state and local poltics.

South Carolina plays second-fiddle to North Carolina. Georgia stands completely on its own.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Man, I really wish you'd learn to wrap quotes correctly; it would make replying a ton easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know that but how often do you do a comparison leaving out one major city that has outgrown over time smaller cities with distinct histories and idenities into an MSA as large of an area that Atlanta has.Even in LA its like constant development all over where you just dont know where LA starts and ends.
This is done ALL the time here where people compare parts of states, groups of states, and even international regions. I have no clue why you get so wound up over it. It's nothing more than a hypothetical comparison, which is what this forum is for.

Quote:
As far as airports are concerned Charleston and M.Beach should do better especially if you leave out the affect that Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson is left out of the equation.
Hartsfield-Jackson really has nothing to do with it: Savannah airport business struggling compared to our rivals | savannahnow.com

Quote:
By the way 12.5 million people visited Savannah last year.A record year.Charleston had only 5 million. So even if M.B. did have 14 million it is not a inaccurate to say GA coast doesnt come close.Or do you wish to take Savannah out of GA also?
I find it interesting that while Charleston had 4.51 million visitors in 2011, they had an economic impact totaling $3.22 billion. In that same year, Savannah had 12.1 million visitors with an economic impact of $1.95 billion. I don't know how many visitors the rest of the Georgia coast received, but certainly the 14-15 million for Myrtle Beach, the 4.5 million for Charleston, and the 3 million for Beaufort County (which includes Hilton Head) is a greater figure, and this excludes other coastal destinations in SC.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corderis View Post
Georgia > Sc.
End of Conversation!
It's not because the subject of this conversation is Georgia sans metro Atlanta vs. SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ...

Georgia has better roads. Georgia has better schools (k-12 and university level). Georgia has less volatile state and local poltics.
Roads I'll give you, and outside of Emory, GA isn't ahead by much in higher ed except in quantity. "Less volatile state and local politics"? I don't see that one. SC can have crazy politics on the state level, but you certainly don't have that huge urban/rural divide in particular like you see in GA. And I'm not seeing stark differences on the local level either.

Quote:
South Carolina plays second-fiddle to North Carolina. Georgia stands completely on its own.
What does this even mean? Is the implication that SC is somehow economically dependent on NC? If so, how?

And it's funny that this is coming from someone who's always whining about Hilton Head/Beaufort not being included in your metro area.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Take a chill Mutiny. Don't get yourself in trouble again.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Man, I really wish you'd learn to wrap quotes correctly; it would make replying a ton easier.
this good?

This is done ALL the time here where people compare parts of states, groups of states, and even international regions. I have no clue why you get so wound up over it. It's nothing more than a hypothetical comparison, which is what this forum is for.

Spoiler
What?LOL.So im wound up because I have and opinion that differs from yours?

Hartsfield-Jackson really has nothing to do with it: Savannah airport business struggling compared to our rivals | savannahnow.com

Spoiler
Oh yes it does for obvious reasons

I find it interesting that while Charleston had 4.51 million visitors in 2011, they had an economic impact totaling $3.22 billion. In that same year, Savannah had 12.1 million visitors with an economic impact of $1.95 billion. I don't know how many visitors the rest of the Georgia coast received, but certainly the 14-15 million for Myrtle Beach, the 4.5 million for Charleston, and the 3 million for Beaufort County (which includes Hilton Head) is a greater figure, and this excludes other coastal destinations in SC.
Spoiler
Well somebody somewhere is inaccurate. Is it GA or SC?Maybe because Charleston being more populous MSA has more retail and accommodations to choose from. What else could it be?

Well you said Georgia could not match or come close to South Carolina coast.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:
It's not because the subject of this conversation is Georgia sans metro Atlanta vs. SC.

Roads I'll give you, and outside of Emory, GA isn't ahead by much in higher ed except in quantity. "Less volatile state and local politics"? I don't see that one. SC can have crazy politics on the state level, but you certainly don't have that huge urban/rural divide in particular like you see in GA. And I'm not seeing stark differences on the local level either.
Spoiler
No not just Emory,Ga Tech in Atlanta In Georgia :UGA, Mercer University,Covenant College also.

What does this even mean? Is the implication that SC is somehow economically dependent on NC? If so, how?
Spoiler
I can telll you.Charlotte MSA reaches well into SC as well as Augusta also.But none in S.C. reach into another of its border states I dont think.

And it's funny that this is coming from someone who's always whining about Hilton Head/Beaufort not being included in your metro area.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Take a chill Mutiny. Don't get yourself in trouble again.
LOL, "again"? If anything, it's been proven that you've been quite mistaken in your assessments of SC (particularly Charleston). Anyway, care to answer the question(s)?

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-06-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well somebody somewhere is inaccurate. Is it GA or SC?Maybe because Charleston being more populous MSA has more retail and accommodations to choose from. What else could it be?
What exactly is inaccurate? And I thought earlier, you implied that it wasn't accurate to use MSA's but rather city populations?

Quote:
Well you said Georgia could not match or come close to South Carolina coast.
In terms of economic impact, it really doesn't look like GA comes close to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City