Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia (minus Atlanta) vs South Carolina
Georgia (minus ATL) 17 29.31%
South Carolina 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times

Advertisements

Beside tourism what other industry does Savannah have? I know there's an airbase there. Charleston does too. Savannah doesn't have anything on the scale of Boeing or MUSC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Beside tourism what other industry does Savannah have? I know there's an airbase there. Charleston does too. Savannah doesn't have anything on the scale of Boeing or MUSC
The port and SCAD.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So since you don't understand it, you question the legitimacy of the statistics. You're grasping here man.

Furthermore, it makes plenty of sense when you understand how differently Charleston and Savannah operate. First of all, Charleston is a much more business-oriented city, so it will naturally have more business travelers and they tend to spend more on average than leisure travelers. Charleston also has a much busier airport which contributes to higher tourism revenue, and it has more shopping and cultural amenities that generate greater revenues as well. This isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but although St. Patrick's Day in Savannah draws several times more tourists than Spoleto in Charleston, the latter draws in more well-heeled visitors that are likely to spend more money.
Please stop being obtuse.You made the statement that it was interesting of why the difference in revenue.I just responded to that .It goes back to my points that I said taking Atlanta's MSA out is fine but to handicap Georgia so severely because the ATL metro encompasses cities and towns with their own amenities and attractions that were not always in its MSA but keep all the other comparisons that clearly give South Carolina an advantage is just too flawed.

So yes I understood this way before when I brought up just using city propers. You even just admitted that its not an apples and apples comparison and how Charleston city has less people but is metro is almost twice the size of Savannah.Glad you finally caught up.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Please stop being obtuse.You made the statement that it was interesting of why the difference in revenue.I just responded to that .It goes back to my points that I said taking Atlanta's MSA out is fine but to handicap Georgia so severely because the ATL metro encompasses cities and towns with their own amenities and attractions that were not always in its MSA but keep all the other comparisons that clearly give South Carolina an advantage is just too flawed.
This is SO silly, but I'll bite: which "cities and towns with their own amenities and attractions that were not always in [Atlanta's] MSA" should we keep for comparison purposes??? And I'm assuming you're referring to cities and towns that had these amenities and attractions BEFORE they were included in Atlanta's MSA since the implication is that they attracted them on their own merits and any sort of inclusion in the Atlanta metro had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
So yes I understood this way before when I brought up just using city propers. You even just admitted that its not an apples and apples comparison and how Charleston city has less people but is metro is almost twice the size of Savannah.Glad you finally caught up.
Dude, I need you to read more carefully. What I was referring to when I said it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison was the economic impact of two of Charleston's and Savannah's largest events due to how they are set up. That had nothing to do with the city of Charleston being less populous but its metro being significantly larger than Savannah's; that's an extremely common situation (e.g., Atlanta and Jacksonville, Charlotte, San Antonio, etc.) as the laws governing city expansion, annexation, etc. differ from state to state.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-08-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Fort Stewart
Gulfstream Aviation Headquarters
JCB, the third largest producer of construction equipment in the world and the leading manufacturer of backhoes and telescopic handlers, built its North American headquarters in Chatham County near Savannah

Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is SO silly, but I'll bite: which "cities and towns with their own amenities and attractions that were not always in [Atlanta's] MSA" should we keep for comparison purposes??? And I'm assuming you're referring to cities and towns that had these amenities and attractions BEFORE they were included in Atlanta's MSA since the implication is that they attracted them on their own merits and any sort of inclusion in the Atlanta metro had nothing to do with it.

Spoiler
Why?Silly because you can't understand?I am not saying thses cities theselves were major before Atlanta's sprawl.Im saying if you make statements like there are no amenities like a good universities or an opera house outside of Atlanta MSA and then exclude Atlanta MSA which takes up more than 30% of the state but use a city like Charlestons MSA or Columbia ,then THAT is NOT an "apples and apples" comparison.

Dude, I need you to read more carefully. What I was referring to when I said it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison was the economic impact of two of Charleston's and Savannah's largest events due to how they are set up. That had nothing to do with the city of Charleston being less populous but its metro being significantly larger than Savannah's; that's an extremely common situation (e.g., Atlanta and Jacksonville, Charlotte, San Antonio, etc.) as the laws governing city expansion, annexation, etc. differ from state to state.
So again this is why this poll is going to favor S.C. more.S.C. is a little under only half the size of GA.Why do you think so many of its metros are cities that have grown together?Cities with extremely small CITY populations like Greenville with 58,000 people,Spartansburg w/37,000 and MB w/27,000 but when they include MSA they have populations that grow to over hundreds of thousands

Of course GDPs and other issue will be higher in numbers.GA has many more city propers with populations over 100,000 people.Even has more MSA overall.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why?Silly because you can't understand?I am not saying thses cities theselves were major before Atlanta's sprawl.Im saying if you make statements like there are no amenities like a good universities or an opera house outside of Atlanta MSA and then exclude Atlanta MSA which takes up more than 30% of the state but use a city like Charlestons MSA or Columbia ,then THAT is NOT an "apples and apples" comparison.
Show me where I said that GA has no good universities or opera houses outside of the Atlanta MSA. That's a deliberately disingenuous statement on your part because I said no such thing.

And excluding metro Atlanta IS an apples-to-apples comparison with SC because that way, you get two jurisdictions with roughly the same amount of population, GDP, etc.

Quote:
So again this is why this poll is going to favor S.C. more.S.C. is a little under only half the size of GA.Why do you think so many of its metros are cities that have grown together?Cities with extremely small CITY populations like Greenville with 58,000 people,Spartansburg w/37,000 and MB w/27,000 but when they include MSA they have populations that grow to over hundreds of thousands
This has been answered for you time and time again on here, but please let this be the last time I have to address this. SC's cities are smaller on average because the state has very restrictive annexation laws:
Yet South Carolina has some of the most difficult annexation laws in the country. Under the state’s laws, there are only three ways for residents to come into a city:

• An individual can petition for annexation if the land touches a city boundary
• 75 percent of landowners in an area with 75 percent of assessed value can petition the city council to annex
• 25 percent of the electors in a designated area can petition for council to hold a special election. If council approves the request 50 percent plus one of the electors living in the designated area must approve the annexation.

It is an issue that affects some 50 to 60 percent of municipalities across the state. Many cities have enclaves, or "doughnut holes," that occur when a piece of property in an unincorporated part of the county is completely surrounded by property located within a municipality. The enclave looks similar to a doughnut hole on a map.

https://www.masc.sc/newsroom/uptown/...gislation.aspx
If you look at urbanized area populations, it will clearly demonstrate that the REAL size of the cities go far beyond what their restrictive municipal boundaries indicate.

Quote:
Of course GDPs and other issue will be higher in numbers.GA has many more city propers with populations over 100,000 people.Even has more MSA overall.
Yep, and in many cases, the cities consolidated with their counties to achieve such populations (e.g., Augusta, Columbus, Athens). This is next to impossible to do in SC.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM

31 posts, read 39,481 times
South Carolina ain't even in the same category

Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corderis View Post
South Carolina ain't even in the same category

My God. Grow up please. My state is better than your state, Na na na na na. Yikes!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
And let Columbia, consolidate with Richland County and have a population of 400k......Augusta is not even on the same league. Outside of the Atlanta metro South Carolina even has larger counties with more people. Again, outside of the Atlanta Metro area.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corderis View Post
Augusta has a higher population and land area than the capital Columbia! Columbia sucks and reeks. The only thing South Carolina has going for it is Charleston. Ask any body in the country three cities from South Carolina, they will barley answer with 1!! Ask anybody a city from Georgia , and they will quickly say: Atlanta,(which is excluded) ,Savannah, Athens, or even Augusta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City