U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

210 posts, read 73,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am planning my last and final move in two years. I will be a 50 year old gay Black male who loves visual and performing arts and living a active lifestyle.

St. Louis appeals to me due to the charming neighborhoods, useful transit, close proximity to family and an established social network. The quality of life is excellent due to the cost of living. Draw back is the lack of outdoor recreation in the city, no sunshine during the winter and lack of a decent airport to travel out of town. It is the absolute smallest msa I am comfortable living in.

Dallas appeals to me due to what I see as young and prosperous energy. Its large enough to offer more than what I need for day to day life and seems like a place where I could be active most of the year. There shouldn't be a problem establishing a good social network due to the transient nature of the area. Cost of living seems fair. No longer the cheapest but still not bad for that type of area. It doesn't seem to have the charming neighborhoods but there are options for urban living. I am not a fan of conservative politics but Dallas never seemed conservative to me.

San Diego seems to be a happy place. I could visually see myself jogging or biking along the ocean in the middle of December. I am sure the area has a lot to offer due to its size. My only experience there is in the Airport, Pendry hotel and walking around downtown. I know nothing else about this place except it felt like a great place to live. I've read its very expensive for housing and taxes but lower on food. I don't have any friends or family in that area so that may be a drawback.

Given what I am looking for, I am looking for input from others who are familiar with the cities listed and how they compare. I am open to other options based upon my criteria. I don't care about a bar scene nor crime stats. I do care about the usefulness of mass transit, access to walkable neighborhoods, outdoor active living, performing arts and how easy it will be to dig into a social network at age 50.
Have checked the Great Rivers Greenway plan for StL? It may solve your outdoor issue.

StL also has lots of outdoor opportunities withing a 2 hour drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

5,375 posts, read 5,790,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Have checked the Great Rivers Greenway plan for StL? It may solve your outdoor issue.

StL also has lots of outdoor opportunities withing a 2 hour drive
I love the greenway plan for St. Louis and that definitely moves the appeal of St. Louis up a few notches. In spite of what many think, St. Louis is a great place to live for people who take advantage of what the area has to offer. I dont like the dreariness of December through March.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 6,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post

Also don't forget about Forest Park, the giant central park with miles of jogging and some free museums and zoo inside as well.

Can't argue with the winter dreariness, except to say that often it's not so bad and most years have random interludes of warm snaps... Not so much this year though!

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahedlund View Post
Also don't forget about Forest Park, the giant central park with miles of jogging and some free museums and zoo inside as well.

Can't argue with the winter dreariness, except to say that often it's not so bad and most years have random interludes of warm snaps... Not so much this year though!
I am very familiar with St. Louis and what it has to offer. St. Louis is not lacking culture and or amenities that I like. Most people don't know St. Louis except for the negative stats with poverty, population loss and crime. But of course, not everyone in the area lives in a poverty struck crime ridden area, nor is the area dying and is pretty healthy for what it is.

I personally think either city would be a good choice obviously. The purpose of the thread is to get a fair and sensible comparison of the three cities. I am planning a trip to San Diego in a few months to see if it is a option. I know I love Dallas and St. Louis for what they have to offer not just how they look on paper. They are different but very livable.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

210 posts, read 73,669 times
Quote:
I love the greenway plan for St. Louis and that definitely moves the appeal of St. Louis up a few notches. In spite of what many think, St. Louis is a great place to live for people who take advantage of what the area has to offer. I dont like the dreariness of December through March.
agreed

Old Today, 12:59 AM

4,837 posts, read 10,664,414 times
Interesting choice of cities since they are all so different from each other. Of the 3, I'd choose SD but be prepared for sticker shock if you're looking to buy a home, although renting isn't as bad. I like St. Louis, but not as a place to live. It's the most stagnant (Population-wise) and has some nice suburbs. Dallas is my least favorite. Biggest of them all but the most boring, and ugly to boot.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Interesting choice of cities since they are all so different from each other. Of the 3, I'd choose SD but be prepared for sticker shock if you're looking to buy a home, although renting isn't as bad. I like St. Louis, but not as a place to live. It's the most stagnant (Population-wise) and has some nice suburbs. Dallas is my least favorite. Biggest of them all but the most boring, and ugly to boot.
SD is the best option for an active lifestyle for sure.

DFW for ease of air travel and the optimistic attitude of a growing city.

STL for affordable housing and urban neighborhood architecture. Super easy to get around in.

They all seem to have an active arts scene though different.
All have a useful transit system though not top notch like NYC or Chicago.

DFW and SD has better weather and more sunny days and gives more options for year around outdoor activity.

DFW and STL offers a moderate cost of living for the type of city they are. DFW is a little more expensive but is a larger size with more toys.

I do agree with Dallas being flat and ugly. I have been peaking at housing and the so called modern construction of the 90s and 00s is not attractive at all now.

STL is stagnant and that does impact the energy of the city in a negative way imo. The area has tons of potential but hasn't decided how it wants to reinvent itself.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

3,283 posts, read 8,463,069 times
Quote:
On paper Atlanta looks good. It has a very good arts community. Easy access to outdoor recreation. A useful HRT system from what I see. Some sunshine during the winter without the constant rain, snow or ice. Some okay urban living options but seems to be mostly new high rises. Lush greenery and lots to do. Cost of living seems to be very doable. The airport is one of the busiest if not the busiest in the world. Not too far from friends and family. On the negative side, I keep hearing negative things about the people and pretentious attitudes. I have not gotten the livability vibe that I have experienced in other cities being considered. Maybe I need to revisit this option.
Atlanta has some incredible urban living options--you need to take another look. Virginia Highlands, Ansley Park, Piedmont Heights, Sherwood Forest, Old Fourth Ward, Midtown, downtown is slowly emerging as a place to live, the west side is rapidly gentrifying and many areas in and around Buckhead have lush, private neighborhoods yet 5-10 minute urban amenity access.
Intown Atlanta living is emerging as some of the best in the country--and big changes for the positive have occurred in the past 5 years. And flash forward 5 years in the future, and it will be incredibly better. You can easily live in midtown without a car, if you work in midtown or downtown.
In terms of pretense, if you are referring to the gay community, then no surprise there. You'll get that in many cities emerging as "go-to's" in the sunbelt--but don't let that convince you not to move to Atlanta. It's easily avoidable, that crowd.
I'd argue Dallas is more pretentious than Atlanta. That is my experience, anyway.
Plus, with Atlanta, you can be in NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston, Miami, Nashville, Philly--within 1-2 hours max. Also, the beach is about 4-5 hour drive, the mountains are within 2 hours, and you are generally closer to more east coast/midwest population centers than Dallas.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Atlanta has some incredible urban living options--you need to take another look. Virginia Highlands, Ansley Park, Piedmont Heights, Sherwood Forest, Old Fourth Ward, Midtown, downtown is slowly emerging as a place to live, the west side is rapidly gentrifying and many areas in and around Buckhead have lush, private neighborhoods yet 5-10 minute urban amenity access.
Intown Atlanta living is emerging as some of the best in the country--and big changes for the positive have occurred in the past 5 years. And flash forward 5 years in the future, and it will be incredibly better. You can easily live in midtown without a car, if you work in midtown or downtown.
In terms of pretense, if you are referring to the gay community, then no surprise there. You'll get that in many cities emerging as "go-to's" in the sunbelt--but don't let that convince you not to move to Atlanta. It's easily avoidable, that crowd.
I'd argue Dallas is more pretentious than Atlanta. That is my experience, anyway.
Plus, with Atlanta, you can be in NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston, Miami, Nashville, Philly--within 1-2 hours max. Also, the beach is about 4-5 hour drive, the mountains are within 2 hours, and you are generally closer to more east coast/midwest population centers than Dallas.
Thanks for the information. I will plan a visit later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or