U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Fresno or El Paso?
Fresno 5 33.33%
El Paso 7 46.67%
Neither 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

3,729 posts, read 763,619 times

Advertisements

Both cities are similar in size, have large Hispanic populations, and have mild to hot climates, but are very different otherwise. Which city would you choose if you were offered jobs in both cities? I’m talking about the usual things:

Economy
Housing
Entertainment
Restaurants
Diverse Culture
Outdoor activities

Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

374 posts, read 117,693 times
Housing - El paso because of price. Fresno has surprisingly good housing, but it's more expensive than El pasos
Economy - both arent great, but both are improving
Not sure
Entertainment: El paso. Fresno needs more investment in downtown.
Diverse: Fresno, and it's not close
Outdoor: it's close, but I give it to Fresno for being 2 hours from the ocean (Morro Bay).

My vote is Fresno by a hair,
But there's nothing wrong with picking El paso.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

16,392 posts, read 3,476,366 times
El Paso

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 331,304 times
El Paso! Big Bend National Park is the best stargazing place in the lower 48.

It also snows in El Paso every year. Both are hot, but at least El Paso gets summer monsoons to cool things off while Fresno goes by entire summers without a drop of rain.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
El Paso! Big Bend National Park is the best stargazing place in the lower 48.

It also snows in El Paso every year. Both are hot, but at least El Paso gets summer monsoons to cool things off while Fresno goes by entire summers without a drop of rain.
Want to know what's better than a muggy monsoon? A week of strong marine layer air hitting your face. You usually see this in August/September in Fresno and it's amazing. Sadly it doesn't last very long but it happens pretty much every year. Edit: I remember seeing some people wearing sweaters during a late August cool down last year. Lol.

You can get snow most years near Fresno. They had to close down a highway the other day because of too much snow, in fact.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; Yesterday at 11:33 PM..

Old Today, 12:15 AM

1,080 posts, read 331,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Want to know what's better than a muggy monsoon? A week of strong marine layer air hitting your face. You usually see this in August/September in Fresno and it's amazing. Sadly it doesn't last very long but it happens pretty much every year. Edit: I remember seeing some people wearing sweaters during a late August cool down last year. Lol.

You can get snow most years near Fresno. They had to close down a highway the other day because of too much snow, in fact.
I grew up in Southern California. Got June gloom, marine layer every summer. Awful. June gloom would last into early July, meaning that it would be damp, chilly, and windy every July the 4th and you'd have to bundle up, and you'd still be shivering as you watched the fireworks. Marine layer just meant it would be too overcast and cool to go to the beach.

And yes, I still prefer the fact that El Paso actually gets snow IN El Paso most years. All over town. Not like Fresno where you have to drive an hour or so before hitting a foothill with a dusting of snow. It's one thing to drive an hour to get to snow. It's another thing to have snow IN your backyard.

Old Today, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I grew up in Southern California. Got June gloom, marine layer every summer. Awful. June gloom would last into early July, meaning that it would be damp, chilly, and windy every July the 4th and you'd have to bundle up, and you'd still be shivering as you watched the fireworks. Marine layer just meant it would be too overcast and cool to go to the beach.

And yes, I still prefer the fact that El Paso actually gets snow IN El Paso most years. All over town. Not like Fresno where you have to drive an hour or so before hitting a foothill with a dusting of snow. It's one thing to drive an hour to get to snow. It's another thing to have snow IN your backyard.
Gloom in Fresno?

this cooldown was sunny and windy for a week in August. There was a similar ten day cool down in September.They felt like warm Pismo Beach days. It was close to perfection.
Sure, I wish it lasted longer, but I rather have that than a muggy monsoon.

Yes, it can just be a dusting, but some years it's a deluge of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or