U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Birmingham 22 36.07%
New Orleans 23 37.70%
Memphis 16 26.23%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 PM

14,075 posts, read 19,199,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
To me when people say "livable" it gives an impression of like "where can I live in an easy lifestyle in the suburbs with my big house and big car and raise a family on a middle class salary." And I don't mean that in a bad way. That's genuinely a goal millions of people have and I'm glad they can find a place to do it.

OTOH, livable for me is a place full of unique culture and local establishments and something going on every day of the year. If I ever have kids, I want them to grow up in a real city with real culture and real diversity, not in the suburbs. So to me, New Orleans is actually the more "livable" option, because what's livable to me is not livable to others.
I'd say I'm a bit of both but I don't think I'd enjoy anything about Birmingham. When I think liveable, I think cities that have little to no crime, some kind of natural beauty, well built infrastructure, etc.
New Orleans has all the good stuff Birmingham doesn't and Birmingham still has all the bad stuff New Orleans has minus hurricanes. I could see myself living in NOLA again but in Alabama? Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I like both cities as well, but I couldnít live in New Orleans. That is strictly a destination city to me. There isnít enough freshness to it. Thatís why I made the point about the suburbs. You gonna come with more than what New Orelans brings if Iím considering resting my head there. Birmingham definitely has run down and depressed areas. I would not live in the city of Birmingham. But I could fit right in Homewood or Vestavia Hills and not think twice.
When you say freshness, are you referring to infrastructure and developments or the freshness of the population, peoples mindsets, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 PM

3,327 posts, read 8,483,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're being inconsistent with your bases of comparison. If you're arguing that Memphis isn't falling behind due to how much investment is occurring in its downtown, then you can say the same for Birmingham. If you want to use economic metrics to determine who is lagging, then you have to include Memphis's metrics along with Birmingham's and NOLA's.
Yeah, a good point.

I was doing a bit of quick research just now to find Birmingham and New Orleans' billions of 2019 (assuming it is billions) development, but there is not a site that I've found yet that announces it concisely, for either city--at least that I've found. I'll have to go back when I have time this wknd and see what I find.

Interestingly, I use the site bizjournals.com often for commercial and residential development research and fact finding, the latest biz deals, etc., and just now realized that oddly New Orleans does not even have a city drop down on that site for "city locations."

Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 PM

11,748 posts, read 32,318,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, a good point.

I was doing a bit of quick research just now to find Birmingham and New Orleans' billions of 2019 (assuming it is billions) development, but there is not a site that I've found yet that announces it concisely, for either city--at least that I've found. I'll have to go back when I have time this wknd and see what I find.

Interestingly, I use the site bizjournals.com often for commercial and residential development research and fact finding, the latest biz deals, etc., and just now realized that oddly New Orleans does not even have a city drop down on that site for "city locations."

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/n...iness-journal/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 02-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Interesting.

That ^ looks to be a bizjournals.com competitor site, and it is owned by https://bridgetowermedia.com/ it seems.

I'll refer to it for sure, though.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,039,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Birmingham has awesome suburbs. Upscale homes and shopping with easy access to the insterstate. I would choose Birmingham area to live. Memphis is falling further behind its peers. Memphis does have an interesting history and vibe though.
What city doesn't have awesome suburbs?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:11 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,668,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I could name quite a few but it would be off topic.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 PM

12,321 posts, read 17,894,343 times
Birmingham actually has better shopping out the three.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:00 AM

28,671 posts, read 25,940,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
In the case of Birmingham, it has such 'awesome' suburbs because White flight was extremely pronounced in the region in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and those suburbs were allowed to incorporate relatively easily. Memphis annexed a lot of surrounding territory that probably would have otherwise been incorporated as suburbs (which is why it is still the largest city in Tennessee despite the region's sluggish growth and Nashville's rapid growth). New Orleans' racial dynamics are a bit different, and there's also the geography of the region to take into account when it comes to its suburbs.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:30 AM

682 posts, read 357,430 times
Know dozens of people from each of these cities. Some insights here:
New Orleans: extremely proud of their eccentric city. Almost all of them near near or in the city, with the exception of mandeville. Seems to be a lot of people leaving the city though.
Memphis: Everyone and their brother lives in either Germantown or Collierville. Seems to be a very typical American city with a few big companies (fedex), but with serious inner city problems.
Birmingham: only one of the three I have been to. Really nice suburbs with a lot of old money. City has an ok downtown but pretty poor neighborhood dynamics overall.
The southern culture is extremely present in all 3, strongest in Birmingham.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Memphis annexed a lot of surrounding territory that probably would have otherwise been incorporated as suburbs (which is why it is still the largest city in Tennessee despite the region's sluggish growth and Nashville's rapid growth).
Nashville actually has surpassed Memphis as Tennessee's largest city.

Nashville's population estimate as of 2017, puts the city at 667,000, roughly. The metro is at 1.9 million and growing.

Memphis' population estimate as of 2017, puts the city at 652,000, roughly. The metro is at 1.35 million and pretty stagnant, unfortunately.

By next year's 2020 census, Nashville will most likely land somewhere between 680-685,000, whereas Memphis will be lucky to hit 655,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or