Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Birmingham 29 32.22%
New Orleans 39 43.33%
Memphis 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Nashville actually has surpassed Memphis as Tennessee's largest city.
Still that's a recent development, especially considering the two cities' actual growth trajectories over the past decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:38 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Just curious, if you don't know anything about Birmingham, why would you assume it lacks natural beauty? Or infrastructure? Holy smokes. I have a client in New Orleans. The airport is like that of a third-world country. The only thing missing are cookfires in the hallways and feral cattle wandering the halls. And New Orleans itself always seems to be teetering on the edge of chaos. I mean desuetude is still desuetude, no matter how much charm it has. God help you if you need to get any business done in the six weeks leading up to Lent.

This is kind of why I hate the City vs City forum on CD. Because people pop off about places they've never visited, or whose visits were little more than drive-bys on the interstate.
I live in Denver now, so I'm comparing my transition from Baton Rouge/New Orleans versus that of where I am now. No harm meant. The hills around Birmingham are nice but they aren't huge mountains or pretty beaches. Birmingham might be an all around more liveable city but seems that it's greatest assets are its suburbs. I put more weight into culture, amenities, etc than I do suburbs or natural beauty. Now if Birmingham was in Asheville's location, completely different story.
No need to go on a tangent. This is why I hate this forum too.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 AM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
Birmingham airport is very nice as well

Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 PM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
According to Cushman & Wakefield Commercial advisors

“Our team currently estimates more than $14.1 BB investment in retail, office, industrial, multifamily, mixed use, and other projects in the Memphis area. The Archived Project Summary below tracks projects than have been complete for more than a year from 2014. Currently we are tracking more than 296 projects based on development status: proposed, under construction, or complete.”

There’s a map here on this link that is tracking major projects in the Memphis area. (TN,MS,& Ark) https://commadv.com/memphis-development-map

A large portion of downtown-midtown projects combined are at least 7Billion +
So if things continue to trend with Memphis’s economy, I don’t see why it shouldn’t have a strong case for a brighter outlook.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Haven't been to New Orleans but have been to the other two and lived in Memphis. As I always say, I don't have to go to Baghdad to know I don't wanna live there, so I have no issue with someone saying they wouldn't live somewhere they haven't been. I can't offer on the ground analysis, but I wouldn't live in New Orleans unless there was a lot (I mean a TON) of money involved...

Don't worry, I couldn't live in Memphis again nor in Birmingham. I'm more familiar with Memphis, so I favor Birmingham more. I think each of these cities has their charms and the future trajectories for all three is about equal. Is there three more similar cities of this size in the South? Very similar social atmospheres and cross cultural similarities...

Modcut: Removed off topic comment and question.

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Haven't been to New Orleans but have been to the other two and lived in Memphis. As I always say, I don't have to go to Baghdad to know I don't wanna live there, so I have no issue with someone saying they wouldn't live somewhere they haven't been. I can't offer on the ground analysis, but I wouldn't live in New Orleans unless there was a lot (I mean a TON) of money involved...

Don't worry, I couldn't live in Memphis again nor in Birmingham. I'm more familiar with Memphis, so I favor Birmingham more. I think each of these cities has their charms and the future trajectories for all three is about equal. Is there three more similar cities of this size in the South? Very similar social atmospheres and cross cultural similarities...

Modcut: Removed off topic comment and question.
Actually I think New Orleans is an outlier here. I agree that you don't have to have visited a place to know you wouldn't want to live there but I do think you had to have some type of actual firsthand interaction with a city to say that it has a similar social atmosphere as other cities.

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
According to Cushman & Wakefield Commercial advisors

“Our team currently estimates more than $14.1 BB investment in retail, office, industrial, multifamily, mixed use, and other projects in the Memphis area. The Archived Project Summary below tracks projects than have been complete for more than a year from 2014. Currently we are tracking more than 296 projects based on development status: proposed, under construction, or complete.”

There’s a map here on this link that is tracking major projects in the Memphis area. (TN,MS,& Ark) https://commadv.com/memphis-development-map

A large portion of downtown-midtown projects combined are at least 7Billion +
So if things continue to trend with Memphis’s economy, I don’t see why it shouldn’t have a strong case for a brighter outlook.
Yeah, Memphis has a ton of development and re-development happening now, or in the planning stages. If the economy continues to cooperate, Memphis could be a surprisingly strong boom city and job growth magnet in the upcoming few years.

Memphis has a unique attraction about it. It's friendly, has good city bones, a cool vibe, phenomenal music history, is affordable and investors and developers are already noticing from out of town, and putting money into the city.

Good stuff coming for sure.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Birmingham actually has better shopping out the three.
New Orleans has more high end shopping and boutiques but both are head and shoulders above Memphis in this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if IKEA closes their Memphis store. Birmingham has great shopping considering it's size.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
New Orleans has more high end shopping and boutiques but both are head and shoulders above Memphis in this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if IKEA closes their Memphis store. Birmingham has great shopping considering it's size.
Actually, Birmingham has better shopping than New Orleans. It has the only Saks Fifth Avenue in Alabama, for starters.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I'd imagine Birmingham is better for high end shopping and New Orleans for boutiques and such but New Orleans also has a Saks Fifth in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City