Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Birmingham 29 32.22%
New Orleans 39 43.33%
Memphis 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are the Birmingham suburbs that much better than Covington, Mandeville, and Slidell?
Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, and many parts of Hoover are far nicer than those suburbs tbh. Covington and Mandeville are nice, but not as nice as those suburbs of Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Economy: Birmingham
Future outlook: Probably Birmingham, even though on paper New Orleans is what people look for in a city.
Shopping: New Orleans
Culture: New Orleans
Growth: Probably a good match between all 3 I'd assume
Scenery: Depends on what you like more, but I prefer New Orleans and its water features.
Education: New Orleans has some great universities

Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
I was really impressed with Birmingham. Seemed like a pretty nice city to live in with a lot of quirky quality. I love the hilly terrain and there was a beautiful city park right near downtown. Pretty nice.

Love New Orleans to spend a weekend in and I like the idea of living in NO with it's architecture and water access, but still think Birmingham would be more livable day to day.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I was really impressed with Birmingham. Seemed like a pretty nice city to live in with a lot of quirky quality. I love the hilly terrain and there was a beautiful city park right near downtown. Pretty nice.

Love New Orleans to spend a weekend in and I like the idea of living in NO with it's architecture and water access, but still think Birmingham would be more livable day to day.
It depends on what someone is looking for and what they consider livable. What about Birmingham comes off as more livable to you? Just curious. Not trying to say you're wrong lol

Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It depends on what someone is looking for and what they consider livable. What about Birmingham comes off as more livable to you? Just curious. Not trying to say you're wrong lol
He probably means that Birmingham is not a tourist city like New Orleans, so it is easier to live. Birmingham does have nicer suburbs and appears to be the cheapest in overall cost of living. What hurts Birmingham is the crime and run down areas, which all three share in common.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
He probably means that Birmingham is not a tourist city like New Orleans, so it is easier to live. Birmingham does have nicer suburbs and appears to be the cheapest in overall cost of living. What hurts Birmingham is the crime and run down areas, which all three share in common.
To me when people say "livable" it gives an impression of like "where can I live in an easy lifestyle in the suburbs with my big house and big car and raise a family on a middle class salary." And I don't mean that in a bad way. That's genuinely a goal millions of people have and I'm glad they can find a place to do it.

OTOH, livable for me is a place full of unique culture and local establishments and something going on every day of the year. If I ever have kids, I want them to grow up in a real city with real culture and real diversity, not in the suburbs. So to me, New Orleans is actually the more "livable" option, because what's livable to me is not livable to others.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are the Birmingham suburbs that much better than Covington, Mandeville, and Slidell?
It’s not even close, honestly.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post

I like both cities as well, but I couldn’t live in New Orleans. That is strictly a destination city to me. There isn’t enough freshness to it. That’s why I made the point about the suburbs. You gonna come with more than what New Orelans brings if I’m considering resting my head there. Birmingham definitely has run down and depressed areas. I would not live in the city of Birmingham. But I could fit right in Homewood or Vestavia Hills and not think twice.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Birmingham has a freshness and a fairly modern feel to it. New Orleans has an old (understandably) feel to it. But this just isn’t exclusive to New Orelans, it’s the region period. It’s like your stuck in regression no matter where you go. I’m all for history and preservation, but geez you gotta breath in some fresh air sometimes. That’s just strictly for me and how I feel.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
Quote:
Hey, good question. The suburbs in Birmingham seemed to be little more well kept than the other 2 choices. Traffic didn't seem as bad as New Orleans. A lot of that to me is cost relative. I think in B Ham, I could just get more. I would also not live in the city of Birmingham as someone said. Homewood, Vestivia Hills, Mountain Brook. I had a friend who lived in Chelsea and it seemed like a nice area. The region seems to be pretty decentralized which I understand could be a knock for some. OP mentioned shopping in which case I think Birmingham wins, and scenery which is subjective but I prefer the sharp hills and bluffs of bham over the water.

Livability is mostly subjective and I love the idea of living in New Orleans. It seems to be more consolidated and it does indeed have more culture and a ton of great amenities. Id love to be able to live in a place where I could bike more, and it seems like New Orleans may fit that in certain areas. However, traffic seemed worse to me, it was very touristy, and Looking at average rents, it appears to be more expensive. I can't say this for sure since Ive never lived in NO.

I like New Orleans more than BHam, but I think I would rather live in B Ham.

New Orleans is absolutely one of my favorite cities and one of the most unique in the country. So much history in the region. It takes culture for sure. Potentially future outlook too. I think that category can be hard to quantify in the case of these 3 cities. There doesn't seem to be a clear growth leader such as a Charlotte or Atlanta or something.

I also like Memphis, except for me New Orleans seems like a wayyyy better version of Memphis. As far as historic cities on the Mississippi are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City