U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM

1,611 posts, read 652,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I must be mis-reading this... You are saying you have never been stuck in a traffic backup on I-75 going though Atlanta?
Even I got backed up on I-75 going to/from Kennesaw on a Saturday night.

As you can imagine, Kennesaw hasn't seen me since, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:04 AM

943 posts, read 868,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I must be mis-reading this... You are saying you have never been stuck in a traffic backup on I-75 going though Atlanta?
Correct. At least not the portion I frequent, which is from 120 in Marietta all the way down to the connector. The right lanes getting onto 285 backup with semis, the the left lane a are always smooth sailing for me.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM

1,317 posts, read 571,077 times
I actually agree that Cobb's I-75 between I-285 and Northside Dr is generally free flowing regardless of the hour

Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

22,842 posts, read 16,832,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I actually agree that Cobb's I-75 between I-285 and Northside Dr is generally free flowing regardless of the hour
You know that is inside Atlanta City Limits?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM

233 posts, read 540,483 times
I think all of these rankings are a bit silly. It seems to me some people take some sort of perverse pride in being among the worst.

A lot of it depends on the particular area, too. A big problem in Atlanta is the sprawl. I don't think many people would argue that Atlanta has worse traffic than DC, but my parents think it's worse because my brother lives in Arlington and is close to tons of stuff, whereas I live in North Fulton and am not.

I never noticed this until my parents pointed it out, but my concept of 'nearness' changed dramatically within a few years of my moving to Atlanta. I've lived in a couple of other decent-sized metros (i.e., populations in the millions), and it didn't really change in them.

My parents would come visit me here, and I'd suggest we go somewhere. They'd ask how far it was, and I'd say, "Oh, it's close." And it would be 20-30 minutes away. My dad would get so frustrated with me. He'd say, "Close is 3 miles/5 minutes. Anything beyond that is not close." Where they live, it's like that. I once thought the same way.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM

306 posts, read 755,878 times
I wasn't driving much on I-75 from 2013 to much of 2016, when I was it was usually at night or early morning. When I got back to a more normal 9-5 type a job and was commuting during 5-6 am and 3-4pm, I was thinking myself wtf! When did 75 get this bad?? This crap is even worse than 85 in Gwinnett now! Even at 11-12 noon 75 southbound Marietta to 285 merge would have heavy traffic. People would say construction, what construction were they talking about? You mean the construction that has no lanes blocked? Anyway, now 75 is back to being the best out of 75, 400, and 85 for the northern suburbs commuting south. And better than ever, back to early 2010s, maybe 2000s levels. Again thank you express lanes! At first I wasn't really a fan, why build toll lanes? How about build a toll expressway? Which they did say eventually all these toll express lanes will be connected so I guess there is the toll expressway.

I believe the Cobb toll express lanes opened in August 2018, prior to that 75 between the 285 merge and Acworth was a nightmare. Great to see Atlanta/GDOT making progress to tackle Metro Atlanta's very bad traffic problem.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:48 PM

22,842 posts, read 16,832,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I wasn't driving much on I-75 from 2013 to much of 2016, when I was it was usually at night or early morning. When I got back to a more normal 9-5 type a job and was commuting during 5-6 am and 3-4pm, I was thinking myself wtf! When did 75 get this bad?? This crap is even worse than 85 in Gwinnett now! Even at 11-12 noon 75 southbound Marietta to 285 merge would have heavy traffic. People would say construction, what construction were they talking about? You mean the construction that has no lanes blocked? Anyway, now 75 is back to being the best out of 75, 400, and 85 for the northern suburbs commuting south. And better than ever, back to early 2010s, maybe 2000s levels. Again thank you express lanes! At first I wasn't really a fan, why build toll lanes? How about build a toll expressway? Which they did say eventually all these toll express lanes will be connected so I guess there is the toll expressway.

I believe the Cobb toll express lanes opened in August 2018, prior to that 75 between the 285 merge and Acworth was a nightmare. Great to see Atlanta/GDOT making progress to tackle Metro Atlanta's very bad traffic problem.
Don't worry, it'll fill up again. Induced Demand.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 3,027,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post

The construction of the I75/285 merge for the new toll lanes may not have blocked lanes all the time, but there was a lot of lane-shift and people typically slow down when there is heavy construction around. Between those, things will get slowed down quite a bit. That construction caused issues in every direction.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,362,779 times
LA and NYC are no surprise. Largest populations.
From just perusing Google maps, I think Long Island has the worst traffic. I've seen over an hour to go 11-12 miles numerous times.

LA is terrible region wide. I've seen delays starting around 5 am which is just absurd.

Been in DC. Outside the beltway was bad but nothing extraordinary. What takes it over the top is traffic getting into the center. I've done that twice and it's just been absurd. Nearly an hour just from the beltway to near the White House.

Austin is really bad near downtown, but other than that I don't think it's that bad.

Denver was surprisingly bad on I-25 headed south towards Colorado Springs. But it was summer, maybe it was extra busy for that.

Seattle was bad but it's kinda like Austin, there's just two N-S routes. As much as I complain about Atlanta's regional road network, Seattle's is worse.

Miami's streets were terrible. Very slow going even mid day.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 571,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
LA and NYC are no surprise. Largest populations.
From just perusing Google maps, I think Long Island has the worst traffic. I've seen over an hour to go 11-12 miles numerous times.

LA is terrible region wide. I've seen delays starting around 5 am which is just absurd.

Been in DC. Outside the beltway was bad but nothing extraordinary. What takes it over the top is traffic getting into the center. I've done that twice and it's just been absurd. Nearly an hour just from the beltway to near the White House.

Austin is really bad near downtown, but other than that I don't think it's that bad.

Denver was surprisingly bad on I-25 headed south towards Colorado Springs. But it was summer, maybe it was extra busy for that.

Seattle was bad but it's kinda like Austin, there's just two N-S routes. As much as I complain about Atlanta's regional road network, Seattle's is worse.

Miami's streets were terrible. Very slow going even mid day.
Main issue with Seattle and some of Austin is geographical barriers near the populated area which limit that amount of real estate they can propose for roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or