U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM

5,114 posts, read 3,623,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There are limits, but Atlanta is nowhere close to it.
What are the limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:56 AM

3,509 posts, read 8,638,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
What are the limits?
Pretty much inside of 285, and the middle section of Fulton County and part of Dekalb. Some might consider South Cobb (Cumberland/Vinings) area to be within the since it uses Atlanta for the address (zip 30339), but officially it is not. Same with Sandy Springs (30328).

Old 02-16-2019, 10:26 AM

19 posts, read 5,281 times
What shocks me most is how much more congestion there is all over Atlanta. Not surprising since I had only been back to Atlanta region half dozen times since I left for Miami in 1979.

Lived in LA in 1990's near Griffith Park and catering had me driving all over LA and from Santa Barbara north to San Diego south. Wasted mega hours stewing on 405. SIG alerts galore. The Thomas Guide days before navigation systems and smartphones. If you lived in LA back then you know what I mean.

Lived in NYC with lease on Upper East Side. Only drove for a couple months before we stored the car and took public transportation and walked everywhere.

My take is that as bad as congestion got sometimes in past, I'm thankful I don't have to be driving much these days.

Gripe and moan about how much things have changed with the huge amount of growth, but understand the younger demographic are experiencing it as their normal, and my insights about past mean little to them as they've heard it all before over and over. Understandable. Live ones life accepting nowhere is perfect and make the best of what you have.

Would like rail system that could get commuters all over the different regions of Atlanta. Yes many say we can't afford it, and say those promoting it would not support it themselves. They may have a point on ridership. People love private space of their motor vehicles as I've seen up close in LA and Atlanta. Having viable public transportation and getting people to use it in numbers to support it are two very different things. Gas is relatively cheap now. Lets see how things go when gas prices are sky high. Hopefully by then, Atlanta is further along on the EV charging station buildout.

Favorite thing about Atlanta region from my youth to present is the diversity. Not Atlanta of 1970's when my friends and I would have to see J.B.Stoner axe handles displayed in Underground Atlanta showcases. Let's get that MLK project completed at Stone Mountain. Long overdue.

Last edited by trouillot; 02-16-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 01:02 PM

5,114 posts, read 3,623,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Pretty much inside of 285, and the middle section of Fulton County and part of Dekalb. Some might consider South Cobb (Cumberland/Vinings) area to be within the since it uses Atlanta for the address (zip 30339), but officially it is not. Same with Sandy Springs (30328).

I was inquiring on bu2's definition of "limits" regarding the feasibility of new road construction in Metro Atlanta.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:18 PM
bu2

9,372 posts, read 6,009,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
There's a lot that could be done in West Atlanta. There's definitely things that could be done in Dekalb County, but I don't expect it (Briarcliff, LaVista, maybe a few through streets).

Old 02-16-2019, 04:39 PM

3,120 posts, read 1,576,015 times
Cities that make me gnash my teeth if hit during rush hour:
Dallas
Atlanta
LA
Nashville
St Louis
Kansas City
Denver
Tampa Bay
Those are the larger cities I drive through with frequency.

Is there a large city that had skillful city planning and avoided the rush hour nightmare?

Old 02-16-2019, 05:14 PM

944 posts, read 869,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Dallas
Atlanta
LA
Nashville
St Louis
Kansas City
Denver
Tampa Bay

Is there a large city that had skillful city planning and avoided the rush hour nightmare?
Bad traffic in KC? I thought they are known to have some of the least traffic? I also thought they have the most highway capacity per capita.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 655,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Dallas
Atlanta
LA
Nashville
St Louis
Kansas City
Denver
Tampa Bay

Detroit.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ffic/98200610/

Quote:
INRIX has unveiled its 2016 Global Traffic Scorecard, a ranking of 1,064 cities studied by the traffic analytics firm, and determined that Los Angeles has the worst traffic in the world.

Meanwhile, Detroit ranks 128th in the world and 24th among cities in the United States. And while both rankings may seem high, the Motor City actually fares quite well compared to major metropolitan areas in the United States of similar size.

Rounding out the Top 10, after Los Angeles: New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Washington D.C., Dallas, Boston, Chicago and Seattle. Other cities with worse traffic than Detroit, according to the study, include Houston, San Diego, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

In fact, no major metropolitan area with more than 3 million people - as of the 2015 estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau - has better traffic than Detroit, according to INRIX. The largest American metro area with a better traffic scorecard is Tampa, Fla., which shares a statistical area with St. Petersburg and Clearwater and has more than 1 million fewer people than metro Detroit.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

3,120 posts, read 1,576,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Bad traffic in KC? I thought they are known to have some of the least traffic? I also thought they have the most highway capacity per capita.
It may well be OK - until one misses the right exit and there are many opportunities for that. There are a lot of highways through KC.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,244,143 times
Every time I visit Atlanta I’m greeted instantly with traffic. While the traffic there seems pretty constant, it’s still not nearly as bad as DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or