Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM

119 posts, read 181,796 times

Advertisements

Don't believe the ATL traffic hype! I never did.

There may be other reasons for ppl not liking Atlanta, but it ain't the traffic.

Boston, NYC, DC, Seattle, and LA ALL have higher traffic congestion. Yet companies and people are still relocating to those cities.

I've driven in Seattle, Austin, LA, and DC at rush hour. And they all are the same or worst than Atlanta.

- Boston (164 hours lost due to congestion) and Washington D.C. (155 hours) ranked as the most congested cities in the United States

- Boston was the only U.S. city included in the top 10 most congested cities worldwide

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300793672.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
While there are a few nonsensical bottlenecks that need to be addressed in the metro, and all too many 1 lane arterial roads, I too have not seen Atlanta to be a top 10 worst traffic city. After taking it at least 20 times, I've yet to be backed up on 75, nor on the Western portion of 285 going to and from the airport. I also amount the amount of dedicated right turn lanes (to keep traffic moving) in my part of the metro.

Now, I'm not saying we aren't without our traffic issues, and I don't doubt some peoples stories who are stuck driving in a terrible bottleneck day after day. But I also believe the near universal exaggeration that Atlanta is the worst traffic city in the country, or even that it has worse traffic than a 6M person city should to be very overblown

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Atlanta is "world class" with traffic. There are some surveys that have Atlanta top 10 in the world.

With Atlanta, however, there are some areas where the traffic isn't that bad. 285W, I20W and I85S aren't bad. I75 N inside 285 isn't awful. But to the north and northeast, Atlanta traffic is undoubtedly world class.

One thing about the reports based on "delays." LA would rate higher, but typical driving non rush hour is a delay, so while peak is horrendous, non-peak is awful. Atlanta has the same issue.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
We're obviously not great, but we are definitely not anywhere near the worst. Come talk to me when you've had to commute in DC, LA, or NYC traffic by car.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Atlanta's problem is that most of the population (aside from I-75 in McDonough) is lopsided into one quarter of the metro. Thus, you have like 75% or more of the region crowding onto the same few undercapacity roads every day.

In most other cities, the population (thus the traffic) is more evenly spread out.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Atlanta's problem is that most of the population (aside from I-75 in McDonough) is lopsided into one quarter of the metro. Thus, you have like 75% or more of the region crowding onto the same few undercapacity roads every day.

In most other cities, the population (thus the traffic) is more evenly spread out.
This is very true!

I believe my coworkers when they say it took them 45 minutes to drive 7 miles in certain parts of the metro and they want to rip their hair out. And on the other hand, I've stated many times that it's only taken me 45 minutes to drive 33 miles across the metro to the airport in peak rush hour as well. Both statements are true. The connector is always bad, but 75....it's usually flowing really well.

When I compare the traffic here to the Twin Cities where I'm from, neither is better really, they are just different. Traffic in the Twin Cities is more spread out as you say, and so somewhat universally everyone hits small bottlenecks during rush hour, regardless of where they live. Whereas here, that all depends on where you live and where you are going. The Twin cities also has small highways but more of them. So you're more likely to be near a highway there, but it may only have 2 lanes in each direction, once again, just different.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
We're obviously not great, but we are definitely not anywhere near the worst. Come talk to me when you've had to commute in DC, LA, or NYC traffic by car.
Exactly. Someone who complains about the 400 has never taken the Long Island Expressway. Same or more slowdowns for twice the distance.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM

816 posts, read 994,232 times
Boston being #1 on the list doesn't surprise me one bit! Atlanta traffic can be bad at times, but nothing like I've experienced living in Greater Boston. A big factor as well is that most of the highways in and around that area don't have as many lanes as we do down here. Hell, Rte 3 south of Boston is only TWO LANES and is a major route for commuters going north into the city.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
I don't often travel at peak times, but I rarely ever get caught in a huge traffic jam. My 12.5 mile commute normally takes about 20 minutes. Back when I used to commute to Fayetteville every day, my commute was around 45 minutes, even at 6:30pm, for the 32-mile drive. It's bad in certain parts at certain times, but I just don't see this non-stop logjam that everyone seems to think Atlanta is. Most of our issues center around the connector, the worst-designed piece of interstate highway pretty much anywhere.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM

434 posts, read 1,040,873 times
I lose 1-3 hours a week commuting from Northern CObb to Dekalb. Thank you express lanes! Because it used to be more hours wasted, but since the opening of the express lanes in Cobb, my afternoon commute is now a more reasonable 60 minutes average. These studies, lists and such, not sure about them. NYC and Chicago were usually excluded, I don't usually see Boston(top 10) on worst traffic list, also Portland and Pittsburgh I usually wouldn't see. I believe I even seen Orlando on a list of the worst before, I'm just waiting for one to have Dallas on it. Boston is worse than NYC? Worse than LA??

Metro Atlanta traffic is a nightmare! In my world its definitely in the top 10. Whether commuting or driving for work, traffic or a traffic jam ahead, always! Only worse I have experienced is LA, NYC area, and DC area really. Austin, Seattle, Portland are worse than Atlanta?? I know Austin isn't on this list but if my memory serves me right I seen Austin ranked higher than Atlanta a time or two. But ok if you say so, Atlanta traffic is under those cities. I brought up studies and was being sarcastic with Dallas because any study can find data to support, well, Boston drivers (or any other city) actually are in traffic more than any other major city in the US. NYC and LA may disagree on that. I think I seen Atlanta #1 worst on time wasted couple years ago(which I would agree on). SO Dallas, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Denver, Salt Lake City, you will probably see, oh I almost forgot Chattanooga. Will soon be in the top ten list...

Take with a grain of salt these lists, Metro Atlanta traffic is terrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City