U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,755,638 times

Advertisements

New York and LA. Big gap, then Miami.

No other US city is really known for fashion. Fashion has never been Americas stronghold.

Toronto and Montreal would probably be up there by North American standards.

After those, I don't see any US city as a fashion capital, maybe more fashion forward I guess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM

273 posts, read 81,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

No other US city is really known for fashion. Fashion has never been Americas stronghold.

After those, I don't see any US city as a fashion capital, maybe more fashion forward I guess....
I think Dallas atleast deserves honorable mention thanks to Neiman Marcus. It flies under the radar a bit but fashion and luxury retail are serious business there.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 PM

4,129 posts, read 5,306,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I think Dallas atleast deserves honorable mention thanks to Neiman Marcus. It flies under the radar a bit but fashion and luxury retail are serious business there.
This!!!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 PM

485 posts, read 202,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

Neiman Marcus is a retailer..they sell stuff they arenít setting trends..Nordstrom is from Seattle and Iíd hardly call it a fashion Mecca...the designers are all in nyc

Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 PM

273 posts, read 81,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Neiman Marcus is a retailer..they sell stuff they aren’t setting trends..Nordstrom is from Seattle and I’d hardly call it a fashion Mecca...the designers are all in nyc
I don't remember using the word mecca and I certainly never suggested it was in the same tier as New York. But I live in Miami and if this city is a fashion capital then Dallas isn't far behind IMO.

NYC is obviously #1, but if you think it and Los Angeles are the only cities worth mentioning there's no point in participating in a top 10 discussion.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,189,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
NYC

La

.....that’s it
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Was going to say — I don’t even think we have 10 fashion capitals. Outside of NY and LA I don’t think too many people look to American cities for fashion. Miami would be a good contender for #3 though.

I wonder why? I guess it’s just doesn’t matter to the culture of this country.
I noticed when I lived in the suburbs that it doesn’t matter what you wear or what you look like when you spend your whole day in the car, and America is 90%+ suburbia. A lot of times people don’t need to dress for the weather, or even get dressed at all. People deadass roll out of bed and go to Walmart or whatever in their pajamas. And I’m willing to bet that there are many parts of America where it’s common to even go shopping for clothes at Walmart too.
Chain stores also dominate most of America which leads to less originality.

Fashion also seems to be associated with femininity in the American society for some reason, which makes no sense because men wear clothes too! But it seems that this is changing.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 12,754,707 times
New York
Los Angeles
Miami
Dallas
Chicago
Montreal
San Francisco
Toronto
Boston
Atlanta

Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 5,005 times
^^^No Mexico City?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

85,897 posts, read 100,611,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd go with these:

(I don't know if these cities all have "fashion weeks" though)
NYC
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
DC
Dallas
Austin
Boston
San Francisco
Toronto
Vancouver
couple others...
Miami
Portland, Oregon
Chicago
Portland? Surely you jest!

Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 PM

1,869 posts, read 678,627 times
1. Bentonville, AR
2. Minneapolis, MN
3. Menomonee Falls, WI
4. Plano, TX
5. Houston, TX
6. Framingham, MA
7. Jacksonville, FL
8. Dallas, TX
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Port Washington, WI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or