U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,760,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I think Dallas atleast deserves honorable mention thanks to Neiman Marcus. It flies under the radar a bit but fashion and luxury retail are serious business there.
Dallas certainly has a lot of luxury retail, but that doesn't make it a fashion capital or sub-capital. I personally would not equate Dallas to a fashion city.

Neiman Marcus (one of my fav department stores) is a collector, that is what department stores do.
Each year reps from Neimans, Nordstrom, Saks, etc. flock to fashion week in New York or different industry events to scope out ideas and pieces for each seasons collection.
No one flocks to Dallas to do that. No insults to Dallas at all, I am just trying to paint a picture that the industry is very large and sophisticated, and simply having the corporate office of NM in Dallas doesn't make it a fashion sub-capital.

Dallas (and a lot of other US cities) have a lot of money, so there is a population of people willing to spend thousands at Neiman Marcus or LV or Hermes, hence why the stores are located there. So there is certainly fashion awareness and a presence, but "capital" or even "sub-capital" in the US is really limited to NY, LA, and a distant third for Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Was going to say ó I donít even think we have 10 fashion capitals. Outside of NY and LA I donít think too many people look to American cities for fashion. Miami would be a good contender for #3 though.

I wonder why? I guess itís just doesnít matter to the culture of this country.
I noticed when I lived in the suburbs that it doesnít matter what you wear or what you look like when you spend your whole day in the car, and America is 90%+ suburbia. A lot of times people donít need to dress for the weather, or even get dressed at all. People deadass roll out of bed and go to Walmart or whatever in their pajamas. And Iím willing to bet that there are many parts of America where itís common to even go shopping for clothes at Walmart too.
Chain stores also dominate most of America which leads to less originality.

Fashion also seems to be associated with femininity in the American society for some reason, which makes no sense because men wear clothes too! But it seems that this is changing.

There is a good short TV series on CNN called American Style. It does a good job at summing up American fashion from the WWII era through 2010.

NYC didn't even become a fashion capital until the 1940s. The first New York Fashion Week was created in the 1940s by Eleanor Lambert. She was in charge of press for the American fashion industryís first promotional organization, the New York Dress Institute.

The first event was created to steal attention from French fashion during World War II.
It was also meant to introduce and showcase American designers for fashion journalists, the US has long been neglected and brushed off in the fashion world prior to that.

Then after came some of the worlds most famous designers and brands all US based - Halston, Lagerfeld, De La Renta, Donna Karen, Ralph Lauren, DVF, John Varvatos, Marc Jacobs, etc.

However, fashion for many reasons never caught on in a large chunk of the US, unlike our European counterparts. It was often seen as excess, unnecessary, feminine, represented different ideals, etc.

To this day, most of the US is not really fashion forward. I mean American men who dress well are still trying to break that "they must be gay stigma", that does not happen in any other Western nation.

Anyways, fashion as a whole in 2019 has become a lot more main stream and casual and accessible world wide, so the idea of a true "fashion capital" has faded a bit. But I would still say the most fashion and influence in the industry even down to the collections at Target originate, copy, or grow from ideas in New York, London, Paris, Milan.

Then Los Angeles would be the only other US city I would even consider a true fashion center/ capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM

189 posts, read 121,468 times
NYC
LA
SFO
Seattle
Atlanta
Las Vegas
Miami
Chicago
Boston

Old 02-13-2019, 09:04 AM

273 posts, read 82,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Dallas certainly has a lot of luxury retail, but that doesn't make it a fashion capital or sub-capital. I personally would not equate Dallas to a fashion city.

Neiman Marcus (one of my fav department stores) is a collector, that is what department stores do.
Each year reps from Neimans, Nordstrom, Saks, etc. flock to fashion week in New York or different industry events to scope out ideas and pieces for each seasons collection.
No one flocks to Dallas to do that. No insults to Dallas at all, I am just trying to paint a picture that the industry is very large and sophisticated, and simply having the corporate office of NM in Dallas doesn't make it a fashion sub-capital.

Dallas (and a lot of other US cities) have a lot of money, so there is a population of people willing to spend thousands at Neiman Marcus or LV or Hermes, hence why the stores are located there. So there is certainly fashion awareness and a presence, but "capital" or even "sub-capital" in the US is really limited to NY, LA, and a distant third for Miami.
Sounds more like Houston. Tons of money there along with many of the top names in retail, but an overall lack of an actual fashion culture unlike Dallas.

The city seems to be recognized by Vogue as having some significance to the industry:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vog...ntemporary/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vog...llas-party/amp

Lela Rose is a native Dallas designer who is featured during the recent NYFW:

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/...wear/lela-rose

Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM

5,314 posts, read 12,758,067 times
Do other cities have something similar to this? Just asking. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Market_Center

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM

678 posts, read 481,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
NYC
LA
SFO
Seattle
Atlanta
Las Vegas
Miami
Chicago
Boston
Boston?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

974 posts, read 359,904 times
Like so many others have said itís NY and LA and basically no one else. You might get another city from time to time that might start a look or trend, often short lived, amongst a certain subset of society, but Iíd hardly call that being a fashion capital.

I donít think enough are giving LA itís due credit with starting fashion trends through movies and tv. I canít tell you how many times over the last 30 some years where Iíve seen a trend in Southern California make its way into movies and tv shows only to become mainstream by the time something else is new, at least amongst the teenagers/young adults.

Take it for what itís worth, but my childhood friendís wife who works in wardrobe for a major studio only job is to go out and see what the people are wearing/buying at the beach and other trendy areas to incorporate in their shows.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM

485 posts, read 203,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Boston?
I think people are associating high end shopping options with fashion capital. Boston has most high end retailers and back bay Boston is one of America’s best shopping neighborhoods..that hardly makes it a fashion capital...
.Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Fran etc are not remotely fashion capitals and shouldn’t be included on a list

Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 5,458 times
I wish I could change the title to "Most fashion forward cities", I think it would make for a better discussion.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,760,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I think people are associating high end shopping options with fashion capital. Boston has most high end retailers and back bay Boston is one of Americaís best shopping neighborhoods..that hardly makes it a fashion capital...
.Boston, Chicago, Seattle, San Fran etc are not remotely fashion capitals and shouldnít be included on a list
Bingo. The presence of an Hermes store in the local high-end mall does not equate to a fashion capital.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:53 PM

5,806 posts, read 10,807,194 times
While it may be considered Los Angeles, Orange County and more specifically, Huntington Beach is a big influencer, designer and producer of youth-oriented Surf, Skate, Swimwear, BMX, Athletic, MMA (douchebag) fashions and accessories.

And since I am a rower, Orange County is also the home of one of world's largest design and manufacturing facilities of rowing and cycling gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or