U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM

84 posts, read 66,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
Nashville and Columbus

New York Times
Surprisingly fascinating read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:12 AM

119 posts, read 147,664 times
1) NYC. But even NYC is small potatoes compared to Europe. Paris, Milan and even London have far more celebrated fashion houses . The big heydey of NYC as a fashion capital was in the 80s-90s (Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karen, Carolina Herrera, Marc Jacobs etc). Now new designers are dropping off as everyone is sort of abandoning NY fashion week, and London is rising due to menswear. Still, most American designers go to NYC to hit it big and because important fashion publications are based there (Vogue, GQ, etc)

2) LA would be 2nd, because it’s the manufacturing hub of fashion. And because it’s arguably more influential than any fashion capital when it comes to trends and style influencers (different from designers) due to suburban skateboard/surfing subcultures and Hollywood celebrity/music industry culture. Also with designer fashion, there's an explosion of American designers based in LA (Tom Ford, Jeremy Scott for Moschino, Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent/Celine, Rodarte, Jenni Kayne, Elder Stateman) .

3)Miami/San Francisco. Tie. San Franciscans aren’t anywhere near as fashionable as Miami, which has more of a fashion designer culture and an more significant fashion week. But San Francisco has produced some important brands such as Levis, North Face, Gap, and Banana Republic. Not "designer" but still influential in style.

Last edited by savvysearch; 02-18-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM

880 posts, read 550,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree.

NYC is number one by a mile...

but Montreal could easily be next, itís big there has been for many decades,
most on here are americans and winít be aware of Montreals presence in the industry,
mostly jewish run, just like in NYC.
Bingo! in my first post on this thread I showed how outside on NYC/LA we're the 3rd biggest producer in fashion clothing. $8B industry, 82k jobs and we account for half the jobs in Canada. A lot of clothes you see in shops or runway shows are made in Montreal as well. We're also trendsetters as well (like NYC/LA) and in a lot of cities these days, what looks cool now was popular in Montreal 15-20 years prior. And of course, all the events and festivals that you'll see here too. Not too many people will know or are aware because we're a Canadian city.

Old Today, 06:02 AM

14,067 posts, read 22,322,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed, NYC has a global impact when it comes to fashion. LA I would also consider a global impact, just on a much lesser scale than the big 4 you mentioned.

My take on what generally constitutes a fashion capital...

1. The city / region has a major influence on global fashion trends, including design, production and the retail aspect.

2. Hosting major fashion and media events that pave the road for the next season and wave of fashion.

3. Fashion capitals have a large mix of business, artistic, entertainment, cultural and leisure activities and are internationally recognized for mentioned criteria.

4. Fashion capitals are also a part of the larger design scene. They area generally home to design schools, fashion magazines and a maintain a local market of affluent and fashion forward / conscious people.

To answer your specific question, I do think the presence of exclusive boutiques and retailers certainly plays into the wealth and interest in high fashion in said city. Does that make that city a fashion capital?, no, fashion forward?, yes.

Obviously New York is unquestioned followed by LA.

All other American cities are murky (in my opinion), there are elements of it in certain major American cities (Miami, Vegas, Dallas), but for Western nations, America is not a standout in fashion outside of pockets like NYC and LA.
Good criteria. Miami fits all of this...

Old Today, 08:03 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,766,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
1) NYC. But even NYC is small potatoes compared to Europe. Paris, Milan and even London have far more celebrated fashion houses . The big heydey of NYC as a fashion capital was in the 80s-90s (Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karen, Carolina Herrera, Marc Jacobs etc). Now new designers are dropping off as everyone is sort of abandoning NY fashion week, and London is rising due to menswear. Still, most American designers go to NYC to hit it big and because important fashion publications are based there (Vogue, GQ, etc)

2) LA would be 2nd, because itís the manufacturing hub of fashion. And because itís arguably more influential than any fashion capital when it comes to trends and style influencers (different from designers) due to suburban skateboard/surfing subcultures and Hollywood celebrity/music industry culture. Also with designer fashion, there's an explosion of American designers based in LA (Tom Ford, Jeremy Scott for Moschino, Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent/Celine, Rodarte, Jenni Kayne, Elder Stateman) .

3)Miami/San Francisco. Tie. San Franciscans arenít anywhere near as fashionable as Miami, which has more of a fashion designer culture and an more significant fashion week. But San Francisco has produced some important brands such as Levis, North Face, Gap, and Banana Republic. Not "designer" but still influential in style.
I wouldn't say NYC is small potatoes, but its not the most elite of the big fashion 4.
That goes to Paris or Milan.

Many designers are opting out of NY fashion week (Alexander Wang being the largest), but they are not abandoning NYC, they are scheduling their shows at different times of the year as a strategic way to generate more sales.
I do know that Thom Browne leaving for Paris was a big blow. I think American fashion is in a flux / transition period. Many popular American brands that you mentioned are not as prestigious and did not have the longevity to maintain their status.
So while that is in recreating / rebuilding phases its easy for top / growing designers to opt out of NY fashion week or do one show here per year. NYC is too large of a market / media and fashion center to ignore totally though, but it is losing some top players to London and Paris. But, all industries work in shifts. NY Fashion week was the fashion event in the early 90s, now its back to Paris, we will see what its like 2030...

NYC is still home to Vogue, GQ, Cosmo, etc., and remains ones of the largest fashion outposts for brands and designers in the world, so I would not find the exit of a few designers to be alarming (yet).

I do agree though that the high-point of NY fashion was in the late 80s - late 90s. But Paris is not quite the fashion center it used to be either due to the spread of ideas and fashion, the internet and availability of everything instantly. But I still think most ideas from the overall fashion / media culture have origins or major connections in NYC, Paris, London, Milan, Tokyo, etc. LA would be the next tier.

Old Today, 02:06 PM

14,067 posts, read 22,322,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wouldn't say NYC is small potatoes, but its not the most elite of the big fashion 4.
That goes to Paris or Milan.

Many designers are opting out of NY fashion week (Alexander Wang being the largest), but they are not abandoning NYC, they are scheduling their shows at different times of the year as a strategic way to generate more sales.
I do know that Thom Browne leaving for Paris was a big blow. I think American fashion is in a flux / transition period. Many popular American brands that you mentioned are not as prestigious and did not have the longevity to maintain their status.
So while that is in recreating / rebuilding phases its easy for top / growing designers to opt out of NY fashion week or do one show here per year. NYC is too large of a market / media and fashion center to ignore totally though, but it is losing some top players to London and Paris. But, all industries work in shifts. NY Fashion week was the fashion event in the early 90s, now its back to Paris, we will see what its like 2030...

NYC is still home to Vogue, GQ, Cosmo, etc., and remains ones of the largest fashion outposts for brands and designers in the world, so I would not find the exit of a few designers to be alarming (yet).

I do agree though that the high-point of NY fashion was in the late 80s - late 90s. But Paris is not quite the fashion center it used to be either due to the spread of ideas and fashion, the internet and availability of everything instantly. But I still think most ideas from the overall fashion / media culture have origins or major connections in NYC, Paris, London, Milan, Tokyo, etc. LA would be the next tier.
This is interesting. Good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or