U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

21 posts, read 48,799 times

Advertisements

Good question. I am moving to Houston soon I need all the fill ins I can get . Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 04:51 PM

684 posts, read 485,039 times
Atlanta is pulling away in popularity as the media and music presence has increased, they are even shooting Bad Boys 3 here.

You don’t want talk population, but I feel like Dallas is pulling away in size.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM

274 posts, read 83,547 times
I don't think either of these cities are pulling away from each other in any significant way. They still compare to each other as they have over the past 20 years. They're all growing thanks to the same demographic: younger people and families looking for jobs and a lower COL

Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,486,831 times
Atlanta has become much more dense in the past 6-8 years. In town city living is a reality, even with a city and metro that embraces the automobile.

The entertainment mecca label--with Atlanta continuing to become a movie/television/music capita--is more of a strong reality in 2019, with Hollywood and NYC sitting alongside Atlanta in terms of number of films/tv series shot in these locations. No small feat, and pretty dang impressive.

I've been to Dallas/Ft Worth a couple of times, and last year was a second visit. I went to Fort Worth and loved it. Was not a big fan of Dallas-but I can see the allure.

The thing about DFW, if you are comparing that metro to Houston or Atlanta, is that Dallas is a city of 1.2 million, while Fort Worth is a city of 850,000, so you have two LARGE cities side by side. Whereas Houston and Atlanta are single cities with massive metro areas. I think Atlanta and Houston impress more in terms of population growth than DFW, because of this fact.

Anyway, no shade to any metro area out of these 3. I would like to spend more time in each one, to learn more. I'm basing what I wrote on just a couple of visits to DFW. I have only driven through Houston and would love to spend more time there, but it does seem to still be growing fast.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 PM

771 posts, read 238,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Atlanta has become much more dense in the past 6-8 years. In town city living is a reality, even with a city and metro that embraces the automobile.

The entertainment mecca label--with Atlanta continuing to become a movie/television/music capita--is more of a strong reality in 2019, with Hollywood and NYC sitting alongside Atlanta in terms of number of films/tv series shot in these locations. No small feat, and pretty dang impressive.

I've been to Dallas/Ft Worth a couple of times, and last year was a second visit. I went to Fort Worth and loved it. Was not a big fan of Dallas-but I can see the allure.

The thing about DFW, if you are comparing that metro to Houston or Atlanta, is that Dallas is a city of 1.2 million, while Fort Worth is a city of 850,000, so you have two LARGE cities side by side. Whereas Houston and Atlanta are single cities with massive metro areas. I think Atlanta and Houston impress more in terms of population growth than DFW, because of this fact.

Anyway, no shade to any metro area out of these 3. I would like to spend more time in each one, to learn more. I'm basing what I wrote on just a couple of visits to DFW. I have only driven through Houston and would love to spend more time there, but it does seem to still be growing fast.
All in all itís just the layout though. I would argue to take the density of the three metro areas and compare them.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:24 PM

2,121 posts, read 2,929,673 times
Why was Miami left out?

Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 AM

795 posts, read 841,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Why was Miami left out?
While Miami is certainly the other metro in this sibling group, itís always the odd ball out. Itís like having 3 boys and 1 girl or vice versa. 3 baseball players and one football player. Miami is just drastically different and doesnít really compare evenly like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta do. Does it make sense what Iím trying to say?

Like these three are corporate, sprawling, inland (relatively speaking) metropolitan areas. Miami is an urban, international, touristy, coastal metro. Itís peachs to oranges.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:41 AM

274 posts, read 83,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
While Miami is certainly the other metro in this sibling group, itís always the odd ball out. Itís like having 3 boys and 1 girl or vice versa. 3 baseball players and one football player. Miami is just drastically different and doesnít really compare evenly like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta do. Does it make sense what Iím trying to say?

Like these three are corporate, sprawling, inland (relatively speaking) metropolitan areas. Miami is an urban, international, touristy, coastal metro. Itís peachs to oranges.
Pretty much. Although I think mainland South Florida compares favorably to the other southern cities. It's the resort towns that add a completely different factor. Miami proper tends to remind me of Houston a bit, but Miami Beach feels almost like a European outpost.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 AM

1,435 posts, read 713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Atlanta is pulling away in popularity as the media and music presence has increased, they are even shooting Bad Boys 3 here.

You don’t want talk population, but I feel like Dallas is pulling away in size.
How is Atlanta pulling away in popularity? I'm not seeing that at all. It does have a good media presence but thats because it's one of the industries there, not that it's more popular. And according to population stats, Dallas isn't really pulling away in size either, at least not from Houston. The only pulling away that happened was the Texas metros increasing their population "lead" over ATL since the mid-00s. Back then it looked like Atlanta would pass up both.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,428,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Pretty much. Although I think mainland South Florida compares favorably to the other southern cities. It's the resort towns that add a completely different factor. Miami proper tends to remind me of Houston a bit, but Miami Beach feels almost like a European outpost.
I agree. The others don't match Miami right on the coach and especially South Beach. Houston comes to closest metro wise since some of its metro touches the coast but still no contest at all. The rest of mainland Miami metro is a just a higher dense car centric version of the other four so I'm kind of with Atumre on this one. Said it years ago. Miami is dense but not really all that urban in the sense of DC, Philadelphia, or Boston. Cities that have similar densities. Mainland Miami does remind me of a denser version of Houston to an extent as well. It's the reason why my Miami born and raised mother prefers Houston way more than Dallas.

But for these three. All cities are increasing density but are still making mistakes with garages, parking minimums, setbacks etc. I know in a couple neighborhoods in Houston, they are wanting to eliminate parking minimums adjacent to downtown. Have not heard the update. Atlanta core is still more urban and probably still has the higher density. Houston and Dallas as cities likely still have higher densities. Houston has over 820,000 people in about 145 sq miles. I really wish Houston and Dallas didn't go on an annexing party. I understood why and get it though. Atlanta and Dallas economy remains diverse and growing. Houston's economy still energy based but diversifying lately and is rebounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City