U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 PM

18,357 posts, read 26,428,262 times

Advertisements

When it comes to media popularity, Houston, especially, and Dallas do not match Atlanta. All three cities have their advantages in different things. For media popularity, Atlanta wins over the two and quite easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,044,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
When it comes to media popularity, Houston, especially, and Dallas do not match Atlanta. All three cities have their advantages in different things. For media popularity, Atlanta wins over the two and quite easily.
I agree. And I don’t think no one in Houston or Dallas is making that claim. Atlanta posters are playing to their city strengths like they rightfully should be. Side note: Have you seen the Dallas hip hop scene lately. It’s finally has gained some serious traction thanks to the social media age. And this new breed of DFW hip hop artist are seriously representing the city.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 PM

28,671 posts, read 25,950,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Do you honestly believe rap music has raised Atlanta's brand image throughout the world? Hey I like rap music too but the whole thing is kinda like an inside joke that Atlanta apparently doesn't get. Those lyrics damage young people much more than they inspire them, and any sensible person can see that.
How is any of this relevant to what I said or the discussion at hand?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 PM

1,634 posts, read 822,025 times
I would first say Dallas, and the other two are a toss-up. Not on my radar, at all, for a city I would consider living in. I'm sure all have their good points, but there are many other cities I would choose. I don't mean this to sound so negative, but it's just the truth.

Last edited by Enean; 02-14-2019 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 PM

684 posts, read 485,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
So you're saying Atlanta is more popular in regards to media, ie shows being filmed there. I can agree with that. That's not the only thing that defines popularity though and that's all I was saying there.

As far as celebrities go, Houston has its fair share. The biggest pop star out right now (Drake) has very strong ties to Houston. Other than Toronto, Houston is the city most associated with Drake and where he was discovered. Then you have Travis Scott and of course Beyonce. J Prince can walk into any of the top celebrities homes and get respect. Rap-A-Lot was very influential and his ties run deep. Houston produces plenty of pop celebrities and I'd say Houston urban culture as been more influential than Atlanta's in regards to music. Drake is partly responsible for bringing the Houston sound back, which evolved from the Houston drug culture which also (unfortunately) went mainstream. This happened back in 2008-09 and that sound has been prevalent throughout hip-hop/pop music since. Atlanta's contribution has mostly been dance moves, but Dallas has been getting in there too ever since "the dougie".

People still think the Dougie is a Cali thing. And Bey doesnít rep Houston that hard, she does, but not her style of music doesnít require her to do the way TI and Luda promote Atlanta. I did like Flip and chipped&screwed was really the thing ppl remember Houston for, Drake mentions Memphis more than Houston... so I wouldnít use that.

Itís like Em in 8 mile, he branded for Detroit so well w/ that movie. Magnify That Times 20, thatís current day Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 PM

684 posts, read 485,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not everyone in the US is into the music that, apparently, comes out of Atlanta. That's a fairly specific age group, and there are a LOT of us, who couldn't care less about that. People on this Forum are always talking about that, but maybe that's pretty much all Atlanta has to talk about? Anyway, so not a big deal, at least to anyone I know.
Oh, come on... the biggest and most universal artists are rap artists. Every culture of boys participate in rap culture at some point in their life these days, even if they grow out of it at some point. Top grossing clubs are generally playing hip hop. advertisements are using hip hop icons.

I mean I understand that people have the idea that lots of popular things are garbage, but they are still the most popular things irrespective of their quality to people who deem themselves socially elite. I don’t like the migos, but they are killing it right now. Atlanta probably has the largest concentration of well-known artists out there right now. Sort of like NY and Cali in the 80s-90s

And not only things mentioned above, but the TV show Atlanta by Donald Glover is Seth Roganish in feel, not traditionally black comedy, then you have Walking Dead, Chrisley Know’s best, Stranger things, and for any sports fans, inside the NBA always starts stating they are airing from their Atlanta studios.

This doesn’t just add to “media popularity” I don’t even know what that means, but just to popularity in general. Most of info these days are channeled through media.

It’s not always beneficial. This is the reason lots of ppl from NYC are underwhelmed by Atlanta sometimes, its excessively talked about on tv and social media, ppl expect it to be NY’ish off that alone, when they get here they realize it still has some maturing to do.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 AM

795 posts, read 841,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
...and Dallas wins in growth, and Houston wins in terms of economic strength (even if itís down at the moment). But all three and growing, strong economically, and they all have a brand. Miami included too.

100 years ago. I wonder if anyone ever thought these four cities would be as similar across the spectrum as they are? They are hundreds of miles apart, in different settings, different states, different time zones, different climates, but are still more similar than dissimilar. Lol.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM

1,634 posts, read 822,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Oh, come on... the biggest and most universal artists are rap artists. Every culture of boys participate in rap culture at some point in their life these days, even if they grow out of it at some point. Top grossing clubs are generally playing hip hop. advertisements are using hip hop icons.

I mean I understand that people have the idea that lots of popular things are garbage, but they are still the most popular things irrespective of their quality to people who deem themselves socially elite. I don’t like the migos, but they are killing it right now. Atlanta probably has the largest concentration of well-known artists out there right now. Sort of like NY and Cali in the 80s-90s

And not only things mentioned above, but the TV show Atlanta by Donald Glover is Seth Roganish in feel, not traditionally black comedy, then you have Walking Dead, Chrisley Know’s best, Stranger things, and for any sports fans, inside the NBA always starts stating they are airing from their Atlanta studios.

This doesn’t just add to “media popularity” I don’t even know what that means, but just to popularity in general. Most of info these days are channeled through media.

It’s not always beneficial. This is the reason lots of ppl from NYC are underwhelmed by Atlanta sometimes, its excessively talked about on tv and social media, ppl expect it to be NY’ish off that alone, when they get here they realize it still has some maturing to do.
Most of what you have written might mean something to some, but to me, it's all Greek. I watch basketball, but the Bucks games are usually carried by Fox Sports WI. The music, has come, and will go...that's what music does. Atlanta is not a city that matters to me, and I have a friend who lived there, whose husband worked for Turner, who moved back to WI, because they didn't like it there. He's still with them, but works from home, and goes to Atlanta every month, or so. My daughter and her husband have had business in Atlanta several times, and dread each time they have to go back. Not sure what that's about. Anyway, to each, his own. Glad you're happy there, but it's just not on my radar.

Last edited by Enean; 02-15-2019 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 AM

28,671 posts, read 25,950,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Most of what you have written might mean something to some, but to me, it's all Greek. I watch basketball, but the Bucks games are usually carried by Fox Sports WI. The music, has come, and will go...that's what music does. Atlanta is not a city that matters to me, and I have a friend who lived there, whose husband worked for Turner, who moved back to WI, because they didn't like it there. He's still with them, but works from home, and goes to Atlanta every month, or so. My daughter and her husband have had business in Atlanta several times, and dread each time they have to go back. Not sure what that's about. Anyway, to each, his own. Glad you're happy there, but it's just not on my radar.
But the thread isn't about which city you personally like so I'm confused as to what your point is.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 AM

4,323 posts, read 2,621,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
...and Dallas wins in growth, and Houston wins in terms of economic strength (even if itís down at the moment). But all three and growing, strong economically, and they all have a brand. Miami included too.

100 years ago. I wonder if anyone ever thought these four cities would be as similar across the spectrum as they are? They are hundreds of miles apart, in different settings, different states, different time zones, different climates, but are still more similar than dissimilar. Lol.
They're all warm weathered sprawls. Not quite as different as you may think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City