U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 AM

4,323 posts, read 2,621,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Fair enough! None taken. Houses starting at 500K in the desirable high growth suburbs like Frisco, Allen, McKinney seem to be more of the norm than they used to for sure.
Not really. 330K, 2400 square feet, very solid school district.

https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/mckinney...1#lil-mediaTab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 AM

1,634 posts, read 822,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But the thread isn't about which city you personally like so I'm confused as to what your point is.
I said Dallas, in my first post.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,094,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
...and Dallas wins in growth, and Houston wins in terms of economic strength (even if itís down at the moment). But all three and growing, strong economically, and they all have a brand. Miami included too.

100 years ago. I wonder if anyone ever thought these four cities would be as similar across the spectrum as they are? They are hundreds of miles apart, in different settings, different states, different time zones, different climates, but are still more similar than dissimilar. Lol.
I don't really see the similarities between Atlanta or Miami and the Texas two, or even between those two. Only thing I can think of is there are Southern sprawly cmmetros that exploded in population around the same decades. I don't know about Atlanta, but Houston and Dallas/Dallas-Fort Worth consider each other as rivals and peers and not so much Atlanta (and Miami) which is notably smaller and farther despite its media profile. At least, they don't see Atlanta as a peer any more so than other metris like Phoenix, Chicago (which is mostly one sided, Chicago is much larger), Minneapolis, Charlotte, Seattle, or Nashville

Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM

771 posts, read 238,143 times
I think we have to define popularity.

If we’re talking about which city has more pop culture appeal, then Atlanta is most popular and the other two aren’t even close.

If we’re talking about which city is most popular on the international stage, Houston. It’s much more international than the other two.

If we’re talking about which city is most popular economically, Dallas. The Dallas housing market and corporate relocation appeal are white hot.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 PM

28,671 posts, read 25,950,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think we have to define popularity.

If weíre talking about which city has more pop culture appeal, then Atlanta is most popular and the other two arenít even close.

If weíre talking about which city is most popular on the international stage, Houston. Itís much more international than the other two.

If weíre talking about which city is most popular economically, Dallas.
Is there really such a thing as "economic popularity"? Lol

Old 02-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Is there really such a thing as "economic popularity"? Lol
It would be naive to think there isnít. Which city is growing the most jobs? Which city is most popular with corporate relocations?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:30 PM

28,671 posts, read 25,950,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It would be naive to think there isnít. Which city is growing the most jobs? Which city is most popular with corporate relocations?
The word "popularity" typically isn't used in that context so that's why I asked the question. At any rate, none of these cities are "economically unpopular" so there's that.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 PM

294 posts, read 67,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Do you honestly believe rap music has raised Atlanta's brand image throughout the world? Hey I like rap music too but the whole thing is kinda like an inside joke that Atlanta apparently doesn't get. Those lyrics damage young people much more than they inspire them, and any sensible person can see that.
Nah, the kids will be fine. All you learn from Atlanta's sound is how to whip and nae-nae.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The word "popularity" typically isn't used in that context so that's why I asked the question. At any rate, none of these cities are "economically unpopular" so there's that.
True, but one stands out among the other two and that is objectively Dallas.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 PM

4,132 posts, read 5,311,513 times
One word summary:

Atlanta- Entertainment
Dallas- Image
Houston- Diversity

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City