U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:25 PM

28,672 posts, read 25,950,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Here's my version of what these cities do best:

Atlanta-sprawl
Dallas-corporate relocations
Houston-humidity
Well that's not biased at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 07:05 PM

773 posts, read 238,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
"Overstated" meaning that the lack of diversity hasn't actually been as problematic as often indicated. At least for this time.
Again though I think it has. Houston actually lost jobs in 2015 and 2016 when Dallas and Atlanta were still piling them on. That says we rely way too much on oil and gas to me.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM

2,926 posts, read 4,226,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc05 View Post
I dont know what circles you hang around but I never hear anyone say Dallas is cooler than Houston but maybe it is to a certain group of people
And we don't hear people in Dallas or Austin saying Houston is cooler. Nothing in Houston like the strip on Cedar Springs, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, etc.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM

294 posts, read 67,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Again though I think it has. Houston actually lost jobs in 2015 and 2016 when Dallas and Atlanta were still piling them on. That says we rely way too much on oil and gas to me.
The effects still aren't as bad as they were hyped up to be. Not that I'm advocating for complacency.

Last edited by JMT; Today at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Austin is not part of this thread.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The effects still aren't as bad as they were hyped up to be. Not that I'm advocating for complacency.
Anytime you are loosing jobs as we were it needs to be cause for alarm. The only reason it wasn’t worse had nothing to do with Houston. It was because the national economy was good at the time.

The effects were pretty bad. The population kept growing because of natural growth and international growth (particularly illegal immigrants), but we lost a great deal of domestic migrants those years.

Last edited by JMT; Today at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 PM

795 posts, read 841,358 times
Quote:
Anytime you are loosing jobs as we were it needs to be cause for alarm. The only reason it wasnít worse had nothing to do with Houston. It was because the national economy was good at the time.

The effects were pretty bad. The population kept growing because of natural growth and international growth (particularly illegal immigrants), but we lost a great deal of domestic migrants those years.
Iím not trying to pick or start a fight, but when I made a similar statement a few years ago in regards to Houston and how much illegal immigration played a part in not only there, but Texas in general, folks came for my edges and salvation. So I assume itís a known but unspoken thing. Not saying Houston wouldnít have strong growth without II, but it does play a substantial part. Nearly 2 million folks in Houston are from Mexico. Iím curious if thatís the legal population?

And before anyone comes for my throat, Iím not being racist. Itís an honest question. Because if thatís just the legal population, Houston might already be well beyond 7 million strong.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:55 PM

294 posts, read 67,100 times
Quote:
Anytime you are loosing jobs as we were it needs to be cause for alarm. The only reason it wasn’t worse had nothing to do with Houston. It was because the national economy was good at the time.

Domestic migration always seemed relatively low in Houston compared to Austin and Dallas.

Last edited by ScrappyJoe; 02-18-2019 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Iím not trying to pick or start a fight, but when I made a similar statement a few years ago in regards to Houston and how much illegal immigration played a part in not only there, but Texas in general, folks came for my edges and salvation. So I assume itís a known but unspoken thing. Not saying Houston wouldnít have strong growth without II, but it does play a substantial part. Nearly 2 million folks in Houston are from Mexico. Iím curious if thatís the legal population?

And before anyone comes for my throat, Iím not being racist. Itís an honest question. Because if thatís just the legal population, Houston might already be well beyond 7 million strong.
It includes everyone, but the 2 million figure is mostly American born Mexicans only about 600k were actually born in Mexico.

The Greater Houston area has about 600k illegal immigrants total. Houston has been getting about 50k in international immigration a year and about 10k of that is illegal by estimates. However Houston has been averaging about 100k a year in growth so itís about 10%

Old 02-18-2019, 02:34 PM

1,140 posts, read 349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And we don't hear people in Dallas or Austin saying Houston is cooler. Nothing in Houston like the strip on Cedar Springs, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, etc.
Houston might not have the cool factor, but it's definitely got a down-to-earth factor.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:04 PM

42,924 posts, read 34,388,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Houston might not have the cool factor, but it's definitely got a down-to-earth factor.
And the Down to Business factor as well.

I wouldn't want to live in either Houston or Dallas (or Atlanta either for the record) but I totally agree that Houston has got a lot more going on for it than it's often given credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City