Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Houston even in the suburbs is really big in rap, in fact our biggest artist, Travis Scott is from Suburban Houston. I think this year's rodeo George Straight and Cardi B were first to sell out tickets. Rap is by far the biggest genre of music, but as this is Texas, Houston is no Nashville or even Austin, but it attracts and has many country artists as well. I don't know a High School in Fort Bend County or even Montgomery County or Galveston County were Rap is not the number one genre of music. Only once you get into East Houston and Southern Houston like Southern Brazoria County (essentially Brazoria County that isn't Pearland) do you really see younger folk listening to Country more. Unlike many cities, I can't think of an area were Rock music is dominant in Houston, in places were it's popular it's often second after Rap (suburbs that aren't Country/ Give early 2000s Suburban movie vibe).
But if I had to rate music of Houston in general

Austin has no country music presence. Not modern country anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I don't think Dallas is the most musically diverse since in Houston you get all what Dallas has, plus more local influences that often come from Louisiana or Mexico (like Zydeco). Dallas may have a larger rock/punk scene, but it's not non-existent in Houston. That's about all I see though, but maybe I'm missing something.

Agree that there's no way country is larger than rap/hip-hop in Houston. A lot of the Houston hip-hop sound has been running rap (and lately pop) music since 2008-09.
Do you honestly think you don’t get all Houston has to some degree in Dallas?

I’ll start by saying I’m in somewhat of a unique position in this regard. I currently play in two Houston based metal bands and play in a Dallas based metal band.

Of course Houston has a little of everything, but the audience for different types of music here isn’t as well rounded to me. People are just overwhelming interested in rap. Even if you compare the rap scenes between Houston and Dallas there are points to infer. For example Hispanic rappers in Dallas tend to rap in Spanish while Hispanic rappers in Houston tend to rap in English. I would trace that to the fact that the specific brand of Houston hip hop was popular enough that it kept even rappers from different cultures on the same path. There never were as many popular rappers in Dallas so when the city went Hispanic, they invited their own style. Dallas rappers sound way more like Memphis rappers than Houston ones to me.

Houston is home to an amazing progressive metal band called Oceans of Slumber. They are arguably the best new progressive metal band in the US. They play to packed houses in Europe and across the US. But when they played their homecoming show in Houston, 30 people showed up. It sucks because Houston has a lot of metal talent. Even one of my bands got signed to a small label and our out of town shows have had great turn out. In Houston the biggest show we played had 40 people there.

Here’s why I say what I did:

Dallas has a better metal, rock, EDM, Bhangra, Country, and indie music scene. Mexican music, believe it or not, is every bit as big in Dallas as it is in Houston. Houston has better Hip-Hop, Soul, and punk. I’m sure Cajun music is much bigger here too. There are a couple other Latin genres like Cumbia and Salsa that are bigger here too.

So I do stand by my statement about the music scene in Dallas being less one dimensional. To be fair it probably is because Dallas never completely stood out in one genre the way Houston did.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 02-19-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I just couldn’t get over someone thinking country is bigger than rap in Houston.

If we’re talking about music we can’t leave our Dallas. It’s the most musically diverse of the three IMO, but it doesn’t stand out in one category.
Exactly. I don't think any particular genre of music defines Dallas or even Austin. If you can drink and dance to it, then play it!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I don't think Dallas is the most musically diverse since in Houston you get all what Dallas has, plus more local influences that often come from Louisiana or Mexico (like Zydeco). Dallas may have a larger rock/punk scene, but it's not non-existent in Houston. That's about all I see though, but maybe I'm missing something.

Agree that there's no way country is larger than rap/hip-hop in Houston. A lot of the Houston hip-hop sound has been running rap (and lately pop) music since 2008-09.
Zydeco was actually organized in Houston’s Fifth Ward, after the Creoles brought over La La music from Southwest Louisiana.

Jigging and Bounce music, especially, are very popular too.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Zydeco was actually organized in Houston’s Fifth Ward, after the Creoles brought over La La music from Southwest Louisiana.

Jigging and Bounce music, especially, are very popular too.
Zydeco originated in Louisiana. Do you mean they brought it to Houston?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:49 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I've been to Dallas twice in the last 5 months. Houston twice in the last year. And Atlanta twice since October 2017. I think I have some sort of familiarity with all three cities enough that I am qualified to rank them. And I think it is too close to call lol.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Do you honestly think you don’t get all Houston has to some degree in Dallas?

I’ll start by saying I’m in somewhat of a unique position in this regard. I currently play in two Houston based metal bands and play in a Dallas based metal band.

Of course Houston has a little of everything, but the audience for different types of music here isn’t as well rounded to me. People are just overwhelming interested in rap. Even if you compare the rap scenes between Houston and Dallas there are points to infer. For example Hispanic rappers in Dallas tend to rap in Spanish while Hispanic rappers in Houston tend to rap in English. I would trace that to the fact that the specific brand of Houston hip hop was popular enough that it kept even rappers from different cultures on the same path. There never were as many popular rappers in Dallas so when the city went Hispanic, they invited their own style. Dallas rappers sound way more like Memphis rappers than Houston ones to me.
You get plenty of both in Houston and I've heard both on the streets and from friends. I don't see it as different than Dallas in that regard. It's more recent in history but that's because rap has risen in popularity in Mexico and counties south of there. What IS different from Dallas is the fact that there are more Hispanics in Houston that do rap in typical Houston style. This comes from how integrated both communities have been in the city for decades, especially in the South Park and Southwest-side neighborhoods. Which Dallas rappers sound like Memphis rappers? In my opinion, you can easily tell they are from Texas. The drawl and the way they rap is different from Memphis but I can definitely see why you'd say that. I will say that rappers from the Fort Worth side sound more like new school Houston rappers.

It's always amazed me that Dallas rappers never stuck. With every generation, Houston produces new rappers that end up influencing pop culture. Today it's Travis Scott and Sauce Walka. It's amazing to see everyone say "drip" and "sauce" nowadays because they've been saying it in Houston for years. Now Cardi B and Bruno Mars have songs about it. In Dallas, none have really been able to catch on like that. Yella Beezy being the closest but he's even fading.

Quote:
Here’s why I say what I did:

Dallas has a better metal, rock, EDM, Bhangra, Country, and indie music scene. Mexican music, believe it or not, is every bit as big in Dallas as it is in Houston. Houston has better Hip-Hop, Soul, and punk. I’m sure Cajun music is much bigger here too. There are a couple other Latin genres like Cumbia and Salsa that are bigger here too.

So I do stand by my statement about the music scene in Dallas being less one dimensional. To be fair it probably is because Dallas never completely stood out in one genre the way Houston did.
And the last bolded line is your answer. Just because Houston was one of the top 5 cities that most influenced the rap/hip-hop genre (which bleeds into pop now) doesn't mean it didn't also have a diverse music scene. Yes I agree that Dallas has a bigger metal/rock/punk scene. Curious, how big are the shows from that metal band when they play in Dallas? I don't know how much better the Country is. EDM is pretty equal in my opinion and Houston has had large fests for a long time.

They seem to be about even, it's just Dallas doesn't a large influence in any particular genre and each city favors 2-3 genres that the other doesn't.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 02-20-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Zydeco originated in Louisiana. Do you mean they brought it to Houston?
The Creoles brought La La music to Houston. In Houston, the music developed into Zydeco, which is blended with Blues and R&B.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I've been to Dallas twice in the last 5 months. Houston twice in the last year. And Atlanta twice since October 2017. I think I have some sort of familiarity with all three cities enough that I am qualified to rank them. And I think it is too close to call lol.
Which one feels the largest? Most expansive? Most built up? Which has the most hustle and bustle? Which one is the prettiest? Which one gave you the fuzzies inside (like you really do like this place as a home away from home)? Which one seems like it has the most potential? Your opinion matters.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Which one feels the largest? Most expansive? Most built up? Which has the most hustle and bustle? Which one is the prettiest? Which one gave you the fuzzies inside (like you really do like this place as a home away from home)? Which one seems like it has the most potential? Your opinion matters.
Oh I wanna play:

Which one feels the largest? Houston
Most expansive? DFW
Most built up? Houston
Most hustle and bustle? Atlanta or Houston
Home away from home? Atlanta (reminded me of Houston but with a bunch of hills and more dense greenery)
Most potential? Houston (can do most of everything DFW/ATL can, but it also a seaport)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City