U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 82,847 times

Advertisements

hi everyone i am a 36 yr old hispanic and caucasion male single from detroit michigan the jobs are dead and i mean dead lol can someone tell me where a good place to start a buisness or what type would be good?las cruces looks cool to how is the economy down there?i hear everyone says stay to the east of albuq for short i am not use to desert living at all but no sissy either lol its either salt lake city or new mexico i definetly think the whole las cruces,ruidoso is so cool and i think that southwesterners are way nicer than we are here in the east i know it goona be hot for me till i get use to it and ive grown up around water my whole life is there lakes in nm?where would some of you people start a buisness i mean like what part of nm?thank you for your help and advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM

908 posts, read 2,493,360 times
You don't mention the type of business, and it could make a big difference on my recommendation. For instance, Albuquerque just instituted an honorary 1-2-3-2-1 watering system, the numbers indicating the number of days in a week you should water. It starts with once a week in March, twice a week in April and so on. They also announced that if these restrictions don't meet our needs, compulsory restrictions are in the offing for 2009. Anyone can call in and report water waste, resulting in fines for fugitive (the city's words, not mine) or waste water.
I wouldn't want to start a custom fountain or sod installation business in that environment, but a low end xeriscape business could do good.

Las Cruces is hopping, but they've had a fairly big explosion of growth, so I'd be wary of starting a new business in a place that could see a correction in the next five years. The upside with being in 'Cruces' is that you'd be near a big recreational lake (Elephant Butte). There's a fairly large lake between Santa Fe and Albuquerque called Cochiti.

The Northern end of the state is at higher altitudes, so it tends to take the edge off the heat if that's a concern.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM

im sorry i am a heay truck driver not semi though i was thinking of like buying a crane boom truck or a 20 foot box truck and start a delivery buisness or any ideas that anyone has for buisness in general thanks for the help people. hey i just thought of something what about like a shuttle service from like people who want to go to the nice hikng trails and moutains or you think people will just drive themselves?maybe the tourist would like a shuttle around from city to city for the day what do you think about something like that?

Last edited by crete071; 04-09-2008 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
A boom truck operation might work well. I worked in the landscaping business years ago and there is a strong demand for semi-mature trees (the local varieties are slow growing so there is a big market for larger trees especially conifers) and boulders, yes boulders (which are locally called 'moss rock' though they are covered in lichen, not moss) both in new developments as well as the multitudes of houses that are converting from lawns to xeriscape. If you plan to do something in the landscaping arena, find out as much as you can about xeriscaping. It is the future.

ABQConvict

Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Default thakns

abq convict ya im only goona get one crack at starting a buisness and i kinda just wanna have maybe me and one other guy is the forest area in south east nm or notrh east nm looking for crane boom trucks with a flatbed on it or how about this crazy idea of like a bread truck or like a uniform truck but have it all detailed on the outside its called mobile photos and go park in the site seeing scenery and i have photo printer in the van like big size where i make photos on the spot and some nice hand carved wood frames i have the whole idea down let me know what you think.thanks alot

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Well I think a business with a truck like that would be most profitable in Central/North New Mexico (Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, and the rio communities) because that's where the people and development are. Northeast and southeast New Mexico are sparsely populated, poor (mostly) and most businesses like that are locally owned and patronized. In other words, you'd be considered an outsider and probably wouldn't get any business.

I would check the area out before commiting your money to a truck and expensive equipment.

ABQConvict

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Default ?

did you mean the boom crane truck or the mobile photo truck?would be good in northern nm

Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,785,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crete071 View Post
hi everyone i am a 36 yr old hispanic and caucasion male single from detroit michigan the jobs are dead and i mean dead lol can someone tell me where a good place to start a buisness or what type would be good?las cruces looks cool to how is the economy down there?i hear everyone says stay to the east of albuq for short i am not use to desert living at all but no sissy either lol its either salt lake city or new mexico i definetly think the whole las cruces,ruidoso is so cool and i think that southwesterners are way nicer than we are here in the east i know it goona be hot for me till i get use to it and ive grown up around water my whole life is there lakes in nm?where would some of you people start a buisness i mean like what part of nm?thank you for your help and advice.
Look into the Espanola Valley area its located in northern new mexico 20 miles north of santa fe.. honestly its a great area, dispite how much people put it down, one thing i also like about espanola is it has many surrounding lakes such as santa cruz lake, abiquiu lake, heron lake and el vado those are really good sized too!

Its also by ghost ranch which is also very amazing! oh oh and echo canyon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or