U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nation's Racial Melting Pot
Washington, DC 5 4.72%
New York 39 36.79%
Houston 30 28.30%
Los Angeles 18 16.98%
Atlanta 5 4.72%
Miami 4 3.77%
Kansas City 2 1.89%
Philadelphia 3 2.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:38 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,951,198 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Houston is the most diverse city in the United States, as far as different nationalities and races goes, and Indianapolis is the most integrated city in the United States, as far as a high percentage of black, white, Hispanic, and Asian residents all living hamoniously in the same neighborhoods goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM

4,216 posts, read 6,168,504 times
just FYI, while we are incredibly diverse ethnically, maybe more than anywhere else, the segregation is very high by income and wealth—partly by choice and/or history, but a lot, IMO, because housing here is stratospherically expensive. Money does the sorting.

FWIW I also think that Cali cities like Oakland and Long Beach should be contenders. Never visited Sacramento.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 PM

1,331 posts, read 634,482 times
While some key American population groups are under-represented, Honolulu fits the premise of this thread very well. There is very high racial and cultural mixing in neighborhoods of all socio-economic levels and segregation is minimal.

I can't really say my hometown of Atlanta (or most other mainland cities) would qualify because there are significant non-diverse areas where people have little random interaction around their homes with those of other backgrounds.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:39 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,078,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Not trying to be rude, but youíre really underestimating the diversity in Boston if you think any of that puts Philly way ahead of Boston.
That's good to hear. I haven't lived there since the early 1980s, and back then, the one non-African-American ethnic group I noticed in any sizable numbers were Hispanics in Allston; I'm not sure whether they were Caribbean or Mexican, but I think they were the former.

African-Americans make up a larger share of the city and metropolitan populations of Philadelphia, though. As for the other ethnic groups, I'd probably have to go wading through Census data.

In Philly's case, I also left out West African immigrants who have settled in West and Southwest Philadelphia. I'm acquainted with the Liberian-born publisher of a magazine here aimed at the African diaspora in the city. That wouldn't have been a going proposition a decade ago.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 PM

876 posts, read 980,428 times
Of those cities, NYC has by far the most culturally diverse African, Asian, European, and Hispanic American population.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,777,424 times
I was shocked at how integrated Providence, RI seemed to be when I visited. Lots of mixed groups of friends, interracial couples and all of that.. I know its not a huge city like the rest (minus Kansas City that snuck its way in) but just wanted to give an honorable mention.

- College towns are usually good for integration and diversity.

- Upper middle class suburbs directly outside of ghetto cities are sometimes good too since they get the elite minorities who often have roots from the poor city who live alongside the affluent white liberals (think the whole South Orange - Montclair corridor in NJ outside of Newark).

Highly-immigrant/ethnic areas are usually the WORST since most people just stick to their ethnic group due to language barriers and/or because they haven't fully grasped American society so they heavily rely on their community for resources.

Large older cities and older inner-suburbs are usually terrible too since they have a long history of housing discrimination like redlining, blockbusting, steering, restrictive covenants, white flight and all of that other nonsense. People need to understand that racism is still relevant in society; and not just some archaic thing that people like to whine about for fun. What happened in the past has directly affected what happens today.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-17-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,078,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I was shocked at how integrated Providence, RI seemed to be when I visited. Lots of mixed groups of friends, interracial couples and all of that.. I know its not a huge city like the rest (minus Kansas City that snuck its way in) but just wanted to give an honorable mention.

- College towns are usually good for integration and diversity.

- Upper middle class suburbs directly outside of ghetto cities are sometimes good too since they get the elite minorities who often have roots from the poor city who live alongside the affluent white liberals (think the whole South Orange - Montclair corridor in NJ outside of Newark).

Highly-immigrant/ethnic areas are usually the WORST since most people just stick to their ethnic group due to language barriers and/or because they haven't fully grasped American society so they heavily rely on their community for resources.

Large older cities and older inner-suburbs are usually terrible too since they have a long history of housing discrimination like redlining, blockbusting, steering, restrictive covenants, white flight and all of that other nonsense. People need to understand that racism is still relevant in society; and not just some archaic thing that people like to whine about for fun. What happened in the past has directly affected what happens today.
Good points all here. Especially that last paragraph. The sins of the fathers are indeed visited on the sons.

A note, however, on Kansas City: While it's not the size of any of the other cities on this list, neither is it as small a metro as Providence. It's about twice Providence's size: the city's population of just under 500,000 is about three times Providence's, and its metro population of 2.2 million roughly doubles it.

Back when it was No. 25 on the list of largest metropolitan areas in the country (its population then: 1.2 million in the metro, 475,000 in the city, about 10,000 less than live in the city now - it lost population from 1970 to 2000 and has since rebounded), I referred to my hometown as "the smallest of the big cities and the biggest of the middle-sized ones." It's still that now.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,914,356 times
I'd say Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The seemingly random inclusion of Kansas City among the nations largest metros is intriguing here.
I thought the same exact thing lol

Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,038,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That's good to hear. I haven't lived there since the early 1980s, and back then, the one non-African-American ethnic group I noticed in any sizable numbers were Hispanics in Allston; I'm not sure whether they were Caribbean or Mexican, but I think they were the former.

African-Americans make up a larger share of the city and metropolitan populations of Philadelphia, though. As for the other ethnic groups, I'd probably have to go wading through Census data.

In Philly's case, I also left out West African immigrants who have settled in West and Southwest Philadelphia. I'm acquainted with the Liberian-born publisher of a magazine here aimed at the African diaspora in the city. That wouldn't have been a going proposition a decade ago.
Boston is virtually nothing like that today. It's undergone a much more dramatic racial shift than any of the major easy coast citires. Less than 25% of the city today is Irish or African American (muktigenerational from the south. Irish Americans are about 14% of the city and traditional African Americans are about 10%.

Today is is thirty percent foreign born and 56 percent minority. Is is the sixth most diverse major city in the country circa

2017. Hispanics are 20% and Black's are 23%, 10% age Asian a and 4% age mixed raced. Most immigrant groups in Boston today are from the west Indies, east/south Asia, west africa and brazil-its been that way since the early 1990s.

Several cities around Boston have become manority-minority since 2000- Lynn, Lowell, Chelsea, Malden, Randolph, Brockton, Everett, Revere and other cities are heading that at way as well. The Boston metro when excluding the 2 new Hampshire counties is about 63/-65% white and 20% foreign born. The Philly metro is just under 60% white and is slightly less foreign born.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 PM

800 posts, read 253,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is virtually nothing like that today. It's undergone a much more dramatic racial shift than any of the major easy coast citires. Less than 25% of the city today is Irish or African American (muktigenerational from the south. Irish Americans are about 14% of the city and traditional African Americans are about 10%.

Today is is thirty percent foreign born and 56 percent minority. Is is the sixth most diverse major city in the country circa

2017. Hispanics are 20% and Black's are 23%, 10% age Asian a and 4% age mixed raced. Most immigrant groups in Boston today are from the west Indies, east/south Asia, west africa and brazil-its been that way since the early 1990s.

Several cities around Boston have become manority-minority since 2000- Lynn, Lowell, Chelsea, Malden, Randolph, Brockton, Everett, Revere and other cities are heading that at way as well. The Boston metro when excluding the 2 new Hampshire counties is about 63/-65% white and 20% foreign born. The Philly metro is just under 60% white and is slightly less foreign born.
Thatís true, but Boston is very segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or