Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really. SF actually has more immigrants from Afghanistan and Nepal, while NY has more from Bengladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Furthermore, we've already talked ad nauseum about overall visibility and we already know that this group represents nearly 10% of the SJ metro, and 27% of non South Asians live in census tracts that are 10%+ South Asian---3 times more than New York.
Though the caveat to that is that in sheer numbers, the differences between what NY has more of and what SF has more of is radically different. Just fo completeness, NYC also has a far larger Indian population as well--it's just that Indians make a smaller proportion of South Asians in the Tri-State Are than they do in the Bay Area. There's also a large number of Indo West Indian immigrants and their descendants in the Tri-State, but I actually don't know what they would usually mark on the census, or if they differ, what proportion marks themselves as from South Asia.

It's a slightly different question, but certainly NYC and the Tri-State Area is by far the largest hub for South Asians overall which I think is why the OP left it out initially.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-19-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Though the caveat to that is that in sheer numbers, the differences between what NY has more of and what SF has more of is radically different. Just fo completeness, NYC also has a far larger Indian population as well--it's just that Indians make a smaller proportion of South Asians in the Tri-State Are than they do in the Bay Area. There's also a large number of Indo West Indian immigrants and their descendants in the Tri-State, but I actually don't know what they would usually mark on the census, or if they differ, what proportion marks themselves as from South Asia.

It's a slightly different question, but certainly NYC and the Tri-State Area is by far the largest hub for South Asians overall which I think is why the OP left it out initially.
Perhaps the OP should have just included NY because NY people keep bringing NY into the conversation, like over and over.

Furthermore, nearly 1 in 10 residents of the San Jose MSA is of South Asian descent, which is about twice the ratio for the NY MSA, which is now slightly behind the SF MSA as well. I cant help but continue going back to that.

Unfortunately for you guys, the Bay Area tops NY as far as South Asian visibility.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Let’s compare the SJ MSA with say Queens. You want to pick a subset of a CSA with a population of 2MM with a metro region with a population of 20MM. Queens is about the same size in a much smaller land area with a South Asian percentage of 10%. So as far as visibility goes - there are plenty of areas within NYC proper (not some suburb that’s not even part of the SF metro) with far more South Asian influence, history, visibility.

I’m done with this conversation. Laughed off SSP and same shenanigans here, diamondpark.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:58 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Let’s compare the SJ MSA with say Queens.
Marothisu already did that remember?

Percentage of non-South Asian population living in census tracts with at least 10% South Asian population, by County
1. Middlesex County, NJ (NYC): 45.79%
2. Loudoun County, VA (Washington DC): 41.72%
3. Fort Bend County, TX (Houston): 37.55%
4. Somerset County, NJ (NYC): 33.82%
5. Santa Clara County, CA (San Jose): 28.01%
6. Queens County, NY (NYC): 26.6%
7. Hudson County, NJ (NYC): 22.27%
8. Collin County, TX (Dallas): 19.27%
9. DuPage County, IL (Chicago): 18.91%
10. Alameda County, CA (San Francisco): 18.51%

Santa Clara County actually beats Queens in this regard^

Queens is a high density suburb of Manhattan with almosy no real industry while Santa Clara has 18 fortune 500 companies and is the most cutting edge economy in the US-and South Asians are a huge presence there.

Quote:
I’m done with this conversation.
I couldnt agree more. You are done.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Perhaps the OP should have just included NY because NY people keep bringing NY into the conversation, like over and over.

Furthermore, nearly 1 in 10 residents of the San Jose MSA is of South Asian descent, which is about twice the ratio for the NY MSA, which is now slightly behind the SF MSA as well. I cant help but continue going back to that.

Unfortunately for you guys, the Bay Area tops NY as far as South Asian visibility.
Sure! I think the criteria of “most noticeable South Asian influence” can be interpreted in a lot of ways!

Definitely the San Jose MSA on a MSA to MSA comparison with NYC has a larger proportion of South Asians than the NYC MSA does--that's a straightforward statement. Visibility though can be more vague and difficult to define and won’t universally be taken as simply the percentage of people who are South Asian. Visibility could also be how common it is to see someone who is South Asian, but then things like how much greater the proportion of people living in an urban environment and/or take mass transit is in NYC than SV and you end up simply just seeing a lot more people. There’s also visibility in regards to media as NYC produces a massive amount of media that noticeably has something to do with people of South Asian descent such as shows that have South Asian actors and work that into their works i.e. Mindy Kaling, Aziz Ansari, Hasan Minhaj, etc. That’s arguably visibility and that’s arguably a lot of visibility not just scanning as visibly South Asian but often also as visibly South Asian in NYC specifically.

I can see trying to make a composite index for “visibility”, but people are likely going to have very different ideas as to what factors go in and how those factors shoild be weighted relative to each other. I think this then goes back to what marothisu stated earlier, but in regards to “noticeable South Asian influence” as that is, like “visibility”, open to myriad reasonable interpretations.

Also, I can't see why these would be a win or a lose. I mean, I like South Indian seafood and Nepali dumplings, but I'm not of South Asian descent so I guess this might mean less to me? I will say though, though it's not South Asian but was there in the table for South Central Asia, Uzbekistan has fantastic cuisine that I have gotten very, very into. Recently, I've eaten about a dozen Uzbek meals a month and that's without an Uzbek restaurant in delivery range of home or work! Man, that cuisine really just gripped the **** out of me, especially the Korean Uzbek variant!

Anyhow, the original post of mine you were quoting is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I just wanted to make sure you read that because those number differences between an ethnic category where the Tri-State Area has a larger number than the Bay Area can be very large compared to the differences when its the Bay Area that has the larger number. Like, the biggest difference where the Bay Area has the larger absolute number or percentage is among Afghani Americans where it's 7,202 and 15,119 and the margin of errors on these can potentially make up the entire difference. But then you have stuff where the Tri-State Area has larger numbers such as with Bangladeshi Americans where the numbers are 122,520 versus 2,759 which is a much larger difference than what the difference between the Afghani American population was.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-19-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Quote:
Marothisu already did that remember?

Percentage of non-South Asian population living in census tracts with at least 10% South Asian population, by County
1. Middlesex County, NJ (NYC): 45.79%
2. Loudoun County, VA (Washington DC): 41.72%
3. Fort Bend County, TX (Houston): 37.55%
4. Somerset County, NJ (NYC): 33.82%
5. Santa Clara County, CA (San Jose): 28.01%
6. Queens County, NY (NYC): 26.6%
7. Hudson County, NJ (NYC): 22.27%
8. Collin County, TX (Dallas): 19.27%
9. DuPage County, IL (Chicago): 18.91%
10. Alameda County, CA (San Francisco): 18.51%

Santa Clara County actually beats Queens in this regard^

Queens is a high density suburb of Manhattan with almosy no real industry while Santa Clara has 18 fortune 500 companies and is the most cutting edge economy in the US-and South Asians are a huge presence there.

I couldnt agree more. You are done.
Oh 2 counties within the NY metro are higher than Santa Clara. Guess this settles it then. Thanks diamondpark! Btw what character are you playing today? The elderly Samoan? Lol. Bottom line, NY has over 900k South Asians, vast majority who reside within the city proper or surrounding counties. South Asians have an actual culture and history with thriving neighborhoods. San Jose has a bunch of H1B1 tech visa workers who will return home in a year or two - or move to NY which is taking tech capital away from the valley in droves. Facts are facts old man/young woman/or whatever character you decide to play today. Lol

Old 02-19-2019, 05:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
The one thing I've noticed with Indian cinema is that 'Cisco has become a more featured location in some of the newer Bollywood films. If you went back in time to 20 years ago, 'Cisco was rarely, if ever, featured in Bollywood films. Even 10 years ago it was rare. Nowadays its probably the third most common American city in them after New York and Chicago, fifth in all of North America behind New York, Toronto, Vancouver, and Chicago which is to note how quickly 'Cisco has risen in the public sphere among that demographic.

In settings that take place outside of India, I feel like 90% of the Bollywood films are always set in London, New York, Dubai, and Singapore. It seems that it has almost always been that way. It has always felt like other places are picking up the remaining scraps but it may seem that the industry as a whole is beginning to shift with other cities becoming more active featured settings in that film industry.

I watch a lot of foreign cinema from time to time from across the world, in many different languages and cultures, so its easier for me to notice the difference between then and now.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Here's by county upping the percentage to 20% or greater per census tract:

Percentage of non-South Asians living in census tracts with 20% or more South Asian population, by County
1. Middlesex County, NJ (NYC): 24.5%
2. Queens County, NY (NYC): 11.31%
3. Santa Clara County, CA (San Jose): 11.1%
4. Somerset County, NJ (NYC): 11.01%
5. Fort Bend County, TX (Houston): 10.09%
6. Alameda County, CA (San Francisco): 8.92%
7. Loudoun County, VA (DC): 8.3%
8. Hudson County, NJ (NYC): 6.57%
9. Morris County, NJ (NYC): 5.66%
10. Collin County, TX (Dallas): 5.25%
11. DuPage County, IL (Chicago): 4.66%
12. Fairfax County, VA (DC): 3.41%
13. Nassau County, NY (NYC): 2.68%
14. Contra Costa County, CA (San Francisco): 2.63%
15. Denton County, TX (Dallas): 2.21%
16. Dallas County, TX (Dallas): 2.09%
17. Richmond County, NY (NYC): 1.27%
18. Cook County, IL (Chicago): 1.24%
19. Will County, IL (Chicago): 1.21%
20. Bronx County, NY (NYC): 1.19%
21. Passaic County, NJ (NYC): 1.02%
22. Bergen County, NJ (NYC): 0.6%
23. Lake County, IL (Chicago): 0.53%
24. Kings County, NY (NYC): 0.5%
25. Westchester County, NY (NYC): 0.2%
26. Los Angeles County, CA (Los Angeles): 0.19%
27. Harris County, TX (Houston): 0.06%

The rest are at 0% - San Francisco city, Manhattan, Washington DC, etc.

Here are the numbers for what I did by Metropolitan Division. Oddly a few of them like Houston and San Jose don't have any metropolitan divisions, so I put MSA after those

Percentage of non-South Asians living in census tracts with 10% or more South Asian population, by Metropolitan Division
1. San Jose MSA: 1,969,897 total population | 27.1%
2. New Brunswick-Lakewood, NJ (NYC): 2,387,854 total population | 19.82%
3. Oakland-Berkeley-Livermore, CA (San Francisco): 2,753,293 total population | 13.4%
4. New York-Jersey City-White Plains, NY-NJ (NYC): 1,2087,633 total population | 8.97%
5. Frederick-Gaithersburg-Rockville, MD (Washington DC): 1,285,303 total population | 8.72%
6. Chicago-Naperville-Evanston, IL (Chicago): 7,216,470 total population | 8.4%
7. Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX (Dallas): 4,707,289 total population | 7.88%
8. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV (Washington DC): 4,818,001 total population | 7.29%
9. Nassau County-Suffolk County, NY (NYC): 2,860,664 total population | 6.78%
10. Houston MSA: 6,636,208 total population | 5.27%
11. Lake County-Kenosha County, IL-WI (Chicago): 872,362 total population | 4.25%
12. Newark, NJ-PA (NYC): 2,181,542 total population | 2.91%
13. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA (San Francisco): 1,627,713 total population | 1.66%
14. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA (Los Angeles): 10,105,722 total population | 1.07%
15. Anaheim-Santa Ana-Irvine, CA (Los Angeles): 3,155,816 total population | 0.81%
16. Fort Worth-Arlington-Grapevine, TX (Dallas): 2,333,058 total population | 0.75%
17. Elgin, IL (Chicago): 756808 total population | 0%
18. Gary, IN (Chicago): 703589 total population | 0%
19. San Rafael, CA (San Francisco): 260814 total population | 0%

Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 PM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
Yeah, probably should've discounted the Bay Area and NYC from this thread. I thought there was still enough room to discuss #2, but probably not anymore. Should've asked who's 3-5.

So we're all in agreement that NYC/NNJ and the Bay Area are the top 2, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
The one thing I've noticed with Indian cinema is that 'Cisco has become a more featured location in some of the newer Bollywood films. If you went back in time to 20 years ago, 'Cisco was rarely, if ever, featured in Bollywood films. Even 10 years ago it was rare. Nowadays its probably the third most common American city in them after New York and Chicago, fifth in all of North America behind New York, Toronto, Vancouver, and Chicago which is to note how quickly 'Cisco has risen in the public sphere among that demographic.

In settings that take place outside of India, I feel like 90% of the Bollywood films are always set in London, New York, Dubai, and Singapore. It seems that it has almost always been that way. It has always felt like other places are picking up the remaining scraps but it may seem that the industry as a whole is beginning to shift with other cities becoming more active featured settings in that film industry.

I watch a lot of foreign cinema from time to time from across the world, in many different languages and cultures, so its easier for me to notice the difference between then and now.
Yeah, I feel like the rise of the Bay Area in the Desi community came really quickly. Hell, I think Vancouver had the largest Desi population on the West Coast until 2000 or so. I think the lack of media exposure in Bollywood may also have to do with the fact that many of the Bay Area's Desis aren't Hindi/Urdu speaking, but more South Indian oriented. However, if Singapore is featured, and most Indians in Singapore are Tamil, that isn't the whole explanation.

I think the only place in the world that compares in terms of growth out of nowhere for Desis is Dubai but there's a huge difference between H1b tech workers and unskilled manual labor.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah, probably should've discounted the Bay Area and NYC from this thread. I thought there was still enough room to discuss #2, but probably not anymore. Should've asked who's 3-5.

So we're all in agreement that NYC/NNJ and the Bay Area are the top 2, right?
I think it's pretty solid that NYC and Bay Area together are #1 and #2. San Jose area though a bit above SF area I think.

As far as #3-#5 goes, I think it's solidly Chicago, DC, and Dallas. I'd say Dallas is #5 and #3 could go to either DC or Chicago in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City