U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities, other than NYC, LA, Chicago or San Fran, have the best museum, orchestra, theatre, bal
Boston 27 40.30%
Philadelphia 19 28.36%
Washington DC 29 43.28%
Baltimore 1 1.49%
Pittsburgh 4 5.97%
Cleveland 12 17.91%
Columbus 0 0%
Cincinnati 1 1.49%
Detroit 2 2.99%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Milwaukee 1 1.49%
Minneapolis 10 14.93%
Richmond, VA 1 1.49%
Charlotte 1 1.49%
Raleigh-Durham 1 1.49%
Nashville 4 5.97%
Memphis 1 1.49%
Atlanta 8 11.94%
Miami 5 7.46%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Birmingham 0 0%
New Orleans 4 5.97%
St Louis 1 1.49%
Kansas City 1 1.49%
Louisville 2 2.99%
Dallas 4 5.97%
Houston 8 11.94%
Austin 1 1.49%
San Antonio 0 0%
Oklahoma City 1 1.49%
Omaha 0 0%
Phoenix 1 1.49%
Albuquerque 0 0%
Las Vegas 2 2.99%
San Diego 4 5.97%
Sacramento 1 1.49%
San Jose 1 1.49%
Seattle 9 13.43%
Portland 2 2.99%
Anchorage 1 1.49%
Honolulu 0 0%
Salt Lake City 0 0%
Denver 2 2.99%
Des Moines 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,480,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly the OP has no clue of DC's cultural options given in reality it could arguably rival NYC in terms of quality and exceeds LA, Chicago and San Francisco...especially when referring to true "high brow" culture which in my opinion refers more to museums, symphony, opera, ballet, theater and much less the new age indy/alternative versions.
LOL thanks buddy. I do have a clue.

I've been to DC 5 times. I have not however, been to every city on the list. It's always fascinating to see others' views and experiences in a poll and a brief opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM

300 posts, read 717,890 times
Quote:
Clearly the OP has no clue of DC's cultural options given in reality it could arguably rival NYC in terms of quality and exceeds LA, Chicago and San Francisco...especially when referring to true "high brow" culture which in my opinion refers more to museums, symphony, opera, ballet, theater and much less the new age indy/alternative versions.
DC as a cultural rival to NYC?!? No way

I'll grant that the museums are first rate. Beyond that - the National Symphony, while decent, has never been among the country's most highly regarded orchestras (not even in the Top 10). The opera company is not usually mentioned as being equal to the established "big three" in NY, Chicago, and SF.

How is DC's theater scene? Again, I'm guessing it's decent, but no way can it compete with NY (one of the 2 undisputed theater capitals of the English-speaking world) or even Chicago (certainly the No. 2 theater city in the USA, with its world-famous traditions of improv comedy and companies like Steppenwolf etc.).

Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 11,142,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
DC as a cultural rival to NYC?!? No way

I'll grant that the museums are first rate. Beyond that - the National Symphony, while decent, has never been among the country's most highly regarded orchestras (not even in the Top 10). The opera company is not usually mentioned as being equal to the established "big three" in NY, Chicago, and SF.

How is DC's theater scene? Again, I'm guessing it's decent, but no way can it compete with NY (one of the 2 undisputed theater capitals of the English-speaking world) or even Chicago (certainly the No. 2 theater city in the USA, with its world-famous traditions of improv comedy and companies like Steppenwolf etc.).
DC is no NYC, LA, or Chicago on the theater scene, however, we are definitely fourth most likely in America. Source: https://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...Today-20180220

National City Rankings by Amount of Week’s an Actor Can Work Nationally (Excludes the big 3 NYC/Chi/LA):
https://drive.google.com/a/sgsproper...w?usp=drivesdk

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

4,243 posts, read 2,114,791 times
i wouldve voted boston/(san francisco) if it was listed.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

222 posts, read 77,630 times
Definitely Memphis, west memphis actually

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

5,215 posts, read 4,763,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I voted for numerous cities.

To me DC and Boston are neck-and-neck for being “top dog” in the poll with good reason.

Pittsburgh received its lone vote from me for its quality of museums. We have the Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Heinz History Center, Carnegie Science Center, Andy Warhol Museum, the Frick, and a few other venues. We definitely punch above our weight for a city of 300,000.
I know you aren't the biggest fan of Philadelphia but credit should be give where due and Philadelphia is certainly neck and neck with both DC and Boston in terms of quality and offerings of high culture.

Quote:
There always has to be someone who think DC is the city of the world.... DC is not a rival of NYC in any way shape or form. PERIOD....

I would also be hard pressed to consider DC exceeding LA and Chicago in terms of high culture.

San Fran is the only city with debate.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

119 posts, read 147,416 times
Quote:
Not really. The museums scene in DC is top notch with the Smithsonian and National Gallery alone. But the museums in DC act mostly as historic relics or precious objects. It does not, however, have great post-war contemporary art museums anywhere close to LA, SF or Chicago. Nor is its symphony and opera company in league with those three cities. I’ll also add that the dining scene and theater culture does not compare to what are arguably the three best food scenes in the country.

That being said, there are few world-class museums in SF, so you can arguably make the case for DC weighing weaknesses/strengths.

Also, Cleveland punches way above its weight. So yeah, its a travesty it’s ranked so low. Cleveland Symphony is arguably better than NY Phil at this moment and would be ranked in top 5 on most lists. And the Cleveland Museum of Art is a world-class encyclopedic institution that’s also the 4th richest but only gets about 700K visitors a year.

Last edited by savvysearch; Yesterday at 12:22 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

11,638 posts, read 18,290,410 times
If we are talking about up and coming cities, then the general votes on the poll don't reflect that.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

3,669 posts, read 3,206,834 times
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/feat...city-in-the-us

This article is about a year old. Seems to focus on engagement of a cities overall population with it's cultural institutions so it focuses on "non-traditional" cultural cities. As with any of these articles it's subjective and shouldn't necessarily weight to heavily in peoples opinions.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

5,215 posts, read 4,763,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If we are talking about up and coming cities, then the general votes on the poll don't reflect that.
Because the poll was poorly thought out. DC, Boston and Philadelphia are not up and coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City