U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Chinese Communities
San Gabriel Valley 13 52.00%
Greater Vancouver 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM

14,577 posts, read 18,442,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The above Census figures are likely because most Taiwanese Americans report themselves as Chinese on the Census, not really bothering with the subcategory of Taiwanese.
I don't think that's true at all. Every single Taiwanese person I've ever met is proud of being Taiwanese and states they are Taiwanese, not just broadly "Chinese"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 PM

777 posts, read 244,033 times
Quote:
The above Census figures are likely because most Taiwanese Americans report themselves as Chinese on the Census, not really bothering with the subcategory of Taiwanese.
No that’s just made up. Most SoCal Chinese are from the mainland not Taiwan.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 PM

1,182 posts, read 363,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No that’s just made up. Most SoCal Chinese are from the mainland not Taiwan.
I suppose you could be right. But what about Vancouver's Chinese? Are they still mostly Cantonese-speaking? Even though there's a large Mainlander population, is the Mainlander population largely from Guangdong? Also, are there a lot of Cantonese from Malaysia and Vietnam over in Vancouver?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:32 PM

777 posts, read 244,033 times
Quote:
I suppose you could be right. But what about Vancouver's Chinese? Are they still mostly Cantonese-speaking? Even though there's a large Mainlander population, is the Mainlander population largely from Guangdong? Also, are there a lot of Cantonese from Malaysia and Vietnam over in Vancouver?
Vancouver is diverse but in a very specific way.

There’s tons of cantonese, Punjabi, and Filipinos, as well as a decent sized Korean community but not a whole lot else.

Vancouver is the number one spot for anything Cantonese or Punjabi in North America. But LA is sooo much more diverse than Vancouver.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 PM

6,551 posts, read 8,013,840 times
Greater 'Couver.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:22 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,060,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't think that's true at all. Every single Taiwanese person I've ever met is proud of being Taiwanese and states they are Taiwanese, not just broadly "Chinese"
I agree. Given the history between Taiwan and the mainland, most Taiwanese I know do tend to stress that they are from the “Republic of China” and not the “People’s Republic of China.”

Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,653,866 times
Quote:
In the past decade it has begun swinging back largely towards non-Cantonese. I don't have hard numbers but my guess is it is still slightly in favor of Cantonese-speaking.

My family is Cantonese-speaking from Malaysia and I have a few dozen relatives in Vancouver. However we are not Punti we are Hakka...it's just that since they are from Malaysia my parents' generation speaks everything (Hakka, Cantonese, Hokkien, Mandarin) "fluently." My wife's family is from Guangdong and she has about 15 relatives in Vancouver. I actually do not think there is a sizable Chinese-Malaysian population in Vancouver...I mean it is large relative to most other cities in NA but not significant compared to other Chinese populations.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 PM

211 posts, read 83,326 times
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...B1=All&TABID=1
https://names.mongabay.com/languages/

Vancouver's Chinese speaking population has 385,355 people, of which 48% speak Cantonese, 45% speak Mandarin, 3% speak Min Nan (Fujianese/Taiwanese)
Los Angeles County's Chinese speaking population has 349,899 people, of which 50% identified as speaking "Chinese", 26% speak Mandarin, 20% spoke Cantonese, 4% speak 'Formosan' (Taiwanese). The US census is completely awful at differentiating between the different Chinese languages.

The unfortunate part about mass media in China is that a lot of the smaller languages are dying out for "putonghua", or standard Mandarin. Cantonese has survived because there are so many speakers, but even then its starting to get pushed out. This is both applicable for the People's Republic of China and Republic of China ("Taiwan").

Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 PM

120 posts, read 148,899 times
Cantonese is fantastic in Vancouver, specifically Richmond, but I don’t find the overall Chinese food scene that much better than Toronto, except when it comes to Cantonese.

San Gabriel Valley is a whole different beast. Cantonese is better in Vancouver, but the Chinese diversity in San Gabriel’s food scene is stronger. There are more different regions of China better represented in the food scene at a high calibur. Plus the California produce and generally wealther Chinese makeup support better restaurants.

A couple illuminating articles from respected Chinese food writers why LA is so dominant when it comes to Chinese food:

How L.A. Became A Powerhouse for Chinese Food

It’s True: Los Angeles Chinese Food Has Caught Up with Vancouver

Old 02-18-2019, 02:42 PM

1,182 posts, read 363,035 times
I'll have to say, though, that in places like Irvine (not SGV, but with a rapidly growing Chinese population), the vast majority of Chinese are either from Taiwan or from the Mainland, excluding Guangdong. Cantonese people are so few and far between in Irvine that when non-Chinese Asians hear Cantonese being spoken, they think it's Vietnamese. Ask a random Korean in Irvine if they've heard of a Chinese dialect called Cantonese, and they won't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or